Khaos

hookedonboost

Reaction score
Considering Polaris for the first time, 2021 Khaos 163 x 3" vs snowcheck 165 x 2.75"
is the QD2 that much better? Anyone know if you can upgrade to that drive? Is it necessary?
Appreciate any comments

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you can upgrade but the QD2 bottom gear and belt are expensive and if you want to carry a spare belt it is less expensive just to put a TKI drive on it. And yes gearing down even 10% does make a dramatic improvement but if you are an "easy rider" you may not get the true advantage.

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes you can upgrade to qd2. 165 supposedly has a better track. What are you coming off of?

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just dont think kurts is low enough ratio.

The kurts gear down is lower than the QD2. Kurts us 2.38, the QD2 is 2.17.

Dont get the 3" track, the new 2.75" with a 3.5" pitch is the one to get. Just need a clutch kit and your good to go.

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The kurts gear down is lower than the QD2. Kurts us 2.38, the QD2 is 2.17.

Dont get the 3" track, the new 2.75" with a 3.5" pitch is the one to get. Just need a clutch kit and your good to go.

Kurts is not lower than qd2.
Qd2 is 22/50=2.27
Kurts is 32/67=2.1
You are using the final ratio not the gear ratio

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had called Kurts about an AXYS gear down and was told there is only 1 ratio. I kept reading on forums there was 2 available for the axys but they told me only 1. And only 1 listed on their website so???? I mentioned the pro ratio and was told that would not fit, but yet people put pro gears on their axys but Kurts assured me it will not fit. So not impressed to say the least with the phone call.

Bury Me With My Toys

Reaction score
Interesting thread, hopefully you don't mind if I ask a few questions for my own curiosity.
Is there some benefit from gearing down to get the belt running really deep in one pulley and top of the other, instead of around mid way on both pulleys. Or do some people regularly crawl around at 10 kms/hr? Most of my time is spent between 30 and 80 kms/hr, so the belt is more mid shift, which I would have thought is ideal.

dragonweld28

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I have the 29/69 kits in stock if your looking for the lower gearing.

A lower gear ration will allow more of the clutches to be used to achieve more track speed. The ideal scenario is to have the belt almost all the way to the top of the primary and have the belt pulled down the secondary far enough to achieve a 1-1 ratio.

That is the most efficient shift. 1-1.

For example. the polaris belts drive with a 1.95 gear ratio and 2.86 drivers has a 1-1 shift speed of 80.5mph at 8300 rpm. Going to the kurts gear down of 2.38 gives a 1-1 shift speed of 66.10mph. In the mountains a naturally aspirated 850 will only get 49-50 mph track speeds. So, at 1.95 gearing you are way off of a 1-1 shift. At 2.38, you are much closer to a 1-1 shift. This gives better belt temps, faster acceleration and will hold RPM much better on long wide open climbs.

powpowpowpow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Interesting thread, hopefully you don't mind if I ask a few questions for my own curiosity.
Is there some benefit from gearing down to get the belt running really deep in one pulley and top of the other, instead of around mid way on both pulleys. Or do some people regularly crawl around at 10 kms/hr? Most of my time is spent between 30 and 80 kms/hr, so the belt is more mid shift, which I would have thought is ideal.
you need to try a sled that is geared down, dragonweld explains it good, alot more fun factor as the poo's are geared for to much speed that you will never achieve in powder.

Bury Me With My Toys

Reaction score
My new Khaos 850, 163 track, has a 94 octane gas Sidekick turbo. Only ridden it 0.4 kms thus far, around my yard, just to try it. My girlfriend has the identical sled, minus the bar riser on mine. At 5'5" she said that it's unnecessary in her opinion. At 6'2" they felt terrible when trying to stand up, just parked in the garage.

Top Bottom