kawasaki belt problems

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2012 650 brute force, it only has about 800km on it and I have gone threw 3 belt now. 1 stock and 2 xtx dayco belts. I did fine a piece of belt in the secondary clutch and removed it and changed the deflecton to 22mm from 28 which is suppose to be fine, any other ideas?

Slamnek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use the OEM belt only! Aftermarket belts don't last on the Kawi's.

What the Captin said! I have owned Kawi quads since 06 and only ever blew one belt and it was an ultimax belt on an 06 KVF700. It only lasted 300km and none of those Km's were hard mud bogging Km's. Sounds to me like you might have clutch issues.

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My tires are Kenda bear claws HTR 26" and I have no problem turning them. It will pull the front wheels and it will get to 90km with out any problem. What is a tyrexbelt? is this a stock belt? and I haven't really done any hard mudding with it, I play at Mclean creek and bear beary Breaking in the belt what is the secret,
And break in your new belts properly..........What tires are you running?

Last edited:

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya ive wrecked a few belts also because I didn't break in rite
wash your new belt with soap water then rinse
first ride take it up to 30 k and back down 5 times then 50 k 5 times and avoid wot first tank
stock belts r best and trex belts for the big tires

crow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya ive wrecked a few belts also because I didn't break in rite
wash your new belt with soap water then rinse
first ride take it up to 30 k and back down 5 times then 50 k 5 times and avoid wot first tank
stock belts r best and trex belts for the big tires

pfffft!!

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never try to tow in reverse, and remember to use low range for hills & mud etc. You should be good for years unless the clutches are out of alinement.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never try to tow in reverse, and remember to use low range for hills & mud etc. You should be good for years unless the clutches are out of alinement.
Put a tow strap on the rear or rear winch. I put a rear winch on... Best thing ever ... works way better to pull someone out... Or even winch yourself back out...

crisscross1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok now this is what I was thinking is that maybe the clutches are not lined up properly, what do I look for and how do I align them if they are out. I'm thinking that the primary is in to far and the secondary sticks out to far. There is a thrust washer on the secondary but I think that the primary cannot be shimmed because of the taper of the input shaft more info would e good. the stock belt did get burnt when I pulled out another quad backwards, this s why I went to Dayco xtx belt. is there a gage or a straight edge that I used?

hadster

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry i"m not that experienced with clutching to walk you through it. However you say the stock belt burnt when towing in reverse, sorry but you just can not do that without wrecking your belt no matter what type of belt it is. Use a stock kawi belt and avoid those types of things (and don't continue if it gets wet & slips) drain water first. May not hurt to have an expert check the clutches, but normally they are fine.

hdkawi

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Kawi clutches don't normally come out of alinement because they are part or the crankcase unlike polaris tranny is separate. Do u have a manual u can check your clutch by measurements off the crankcase but I doubt it your quad is so new.

Top Bottom