Kakwa to Grande Cache

diggerdan1

Reaction score
So, a group of use want to go quadding from Kakwa (falls area) to Grande Cache the long weekend in September. We've been told by several people that there is a way to get there and that there are about 8 river crossings, but no one has been able to tell us exactly what trails to take.

Can anyone help us out with maps, trails, directions, gps coordinates or anything?

Thanks

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
If you are talking the upper kakwa falls to Grande Cache,,,,,,,, forget it,,,,,,,,,, it is not possible and illigal,,,,,,,,,,, You used to be able to make it too the lower falls from GC,,,,,, but many years of flooding and lack of people using chains saws on the trails ,, you may be able to get half way or so. last time I heard of any one trying to get to the lower falls they lost a couple in the river. If you go from grande cache you would stage at the beaverdam road near caw ridge turn off,,,,,,,,, then head north on the beaverdam road,,,,,, cross the Kakwa and head west through Porcupine flats,,,,,,,, then continue west as far as possible. But if you can get close to the lower falls,,, thats it for machines. I have hiked in there and it is real tough for walking.

diggerdan1

Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the heads up on the trail situation. We've been quadding the Grande Cache area for the last week and we realized that we'd have to go up beaverdam road, but we were stuck as to were to go next as the road at the end of Copton Airstrip has been closed (security shack and gate across) and the Sheep Creek Road sign states no OHV use allowed. We'd be coming across from the kakwa Falls area, the staging area outside of the wildland park (can't remember the name) and not the falls themselves. We realize that we should be sticking to designated rails only inside the wildland park as we want to make sure these areas stay open to ATV use. :)

If anyone has any other info it would be appreciated! :)

Thanks

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
Kakwa falls is the end of the trail coming in from Two lakes via GP. If you want any quading down near the Beverdam road from the north you have to go in from the redrock rd (Weherhauser rd) and down into porcupine flats, thats where you can cross the kakwa to go on the beaverdam rd. You can't go south or east of the upper kakwa falls. No matter what your backroad map book says. :)

maxedcat650h1

Reaction score
I rode last july from grande cacheto the kakwa river i have lots of maps and pics its easier to go thisway then coming from the west you can ride right from the campground in grande cache let me know if you want more info

sweetipie_5

Reaction score
Hey what campground is that. I am heading that way september long weekend and need a good campground/trails. You can ride out of a campground in GC? i thought it wasn't allowed?

stickman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've rode from Porcupine Flats to the Lick Creek staging area (Kakwa) in the winter on sleds and it was a tough go. Overgrown tight trails and lots of river crossings. As for PF to GC I have no idea.

24nathan48

Reaction score
Have rode the area a few times, heading there for sept long weekend, near rode from the beaverdamm road to kawka if you could provide a map or directions that would be great, have you ever rode to sheep creek falls looking to ride there to.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have rode the area a few times, heading there for sept long weekend, near rode from the beaverdamm road to kawka if you could provide a map or directions that would be great, have you ever rode to sheep creek falls looking to ride there to.
we'll be out there sept long, will probably do the ride from GC to the Kakwa river again just not sure which day we'll do it. you are welcome to join us if you would like, we'll be camped on the east side of the highway. look for a forest green '06 GM 3/4 ton longbox with an aluminum bumper that looks like it belongs on a kenworth.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Teeroy I'll pm you my number. I live in grande cache. I'll come along with some friends if u don't mind.
sure man, always glad to meet some new peeps. I usually hit the site a couple days before the weekend to make sure we get the big spot, we'll have a fair size group by the weekend.

drford

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I rode last july from grande cacheto the kakwa river i have lots of maps and pics its easier to go thisway then coming from the west you can ride right from the campground in grande cache let me know if you want more info
Do you have maps available. We are coming that way this weekend and looking for some new area out there to ride. Done lots off the beaver dam in past

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you have maps available. We are coming that way this weekend and looking for some new area out there to ride. Done lots off the beaver dam in past
Look forward to seeing some pics, as well as mapping want to get out there possibly in Sept.

curtsathome

Reaction score
we'll be out there sept long, will probably do the ride from GC to the Kakwa river again just not sure which day we'll do it. you are welcome to join us if you would like, we'll be camped on the east side of the highway. look for a forest green '06 GM 3/4 ton longbox with an aluminum bumper that looks like it belongs on a kenworth.
Was wondering if you have any maps of the trail heading from GC to Kakwa.

Top Bottom