Kakwa Snow Conditions 2017/2018

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was in finishing up set up yesterday. 10 deg and the snow has settle big time. Talk to a few guys last night and the trail is in great shape. Creeks are open still but it looks like the snow is coming for the up coming weekend.

Cheers

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a load of wood into camp yesterday. It was 1 deg there and a beauty day. The road is like a Hiway all the way in. Icey a few spots but the grader was scratching the Stetson when I came out at 5. Maybe 1-2” of fresh at camp. Look to be a few sledders in the parking lot. Anyone planning to get out over the Christmas break?

Cheers

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a load of wood into camp yesterday. It was 1 deg there and a beauty day. The road is like a Hiway all the way in. Icey a few spots but the grader was scratching the Stetson when I came out at 5. Maybe 1-2” of fresh at camp. Look to be a few sledders in the parking lot. Anyone planning to get out over the Christmas break?

Cheers

Wouldn't mind if there is good snow, but hard to find people to ride with.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out yesterday, snow still pretty scarce in some areas, was about 8 inches of fresh in areas of Broadview. Creeks on the trail are now froze.

Stetson is in decent shape, but the hill down into two lakes has lots of ice under the snow in spots, pickups with decks should be fine but trucks with heavy trailers should carry chains.

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was out yesterday, snow still pretty scarce in some areas, was about 8 inches of fresh in areas of Broadview. Creeks on the trail are now froze.

Stetson is in decent shape, but the hill down into two lakes has lots of ice under the snow in spots, pickups with decks should be fine but trucks with heavy trailers should carry chains.

I was out there this weekend as well and a buddy that left last night had to tow a couple trucks with trailers out because that one corner at 2 lakes is iced up pretty bad,.. The Stetson is starting to get a little icy and it was trying to raining when I left this afternoon. If going out mid week drive safe and not like a flipping maniac like 80% of the traffic out there because the road is getting worse and make sure you HAVE chains. Need more snow out there but there are places to ride if you know where to look,.. after I bent a lower control arm lol.

Last edited:

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rode out there this weekend. Jumped up to flat top. Found pockets of decent snow. Trail was pretty good. There was over 200 sledders there yesterday and I only seen 3. Love how big this riding area is. It definitely needs more snow tho. Found a real steep drainage and worked it over good. The first pic is of me trying to get over the saddle above babbett. Didn’t goes as planned. Real flat light. All in all a good weekend out there.

Cheers

IMG_2641.jpg IMG_2680.jpg

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Had a good ride on Saturday. Was a little chilly but the snow was great in babette. Jumped over to flat-top and tore it up til I was on reserve. Had enough fuel to make er back to camp. Barely. Seen the fuzz at the cabin handing out tickets. What a way to ruin a guys day. I did manage to duck out of there without being grilled. Trail was in great shape and looks like there is going to be another reload this week.

Cheers IMG_2902.jpg

AreWeThereYet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We road up towards the pillows aturday later in day,.. tons of snow but turned back partway because it got socked in and visibility was not great. Went over Broadview pass and to cabin,. got frostbite on the tip of my nose on the trail back.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We road up towards the pillows aturday later in day,.. tons of snow but turned back partway because it got socked in and visibility was not great. Went over Broadview pass and to cabin,. got frostbite on the tip of my nose on the trail back.

I ended up getting it across the bridge of my nose were your glasses sit. On the way out as well. It started to get socked in around 3 up at flat top and snowing good so we tried dropping down following what I assumed was a track from Friday. Long story short, the trail ended haha and we had to turn around. I needed a little more time and a little more fuel.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. Not gonna make it in this weekend. If anyone one here goes in could you let me know if the free firewood log pile is still on the road.

Cheers

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the free firewood was still there on Friday on my way in.

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the free firewood was still there on Friday on my way in.

Thank you sir. For whatever reason I didnt get your reply. I ended up going in Saturday and doing some stuff to the bus. Spent the night. Put a light in the sh*t house and wired our charger in direct. Had to get the snowblower out. It looked like they groomed the cutline so there was 4-6” of garbage snow on the camp roads. All in all good visit. Parking lot was full. All reports were good. I’m on call this weekend so I’m SOL but whoever is going out it looks real good.

Cheers

Flyer

Reaction score
Spent Saturday the 10th at Kakwa. Had never been there before. Thanks to the locals for sharing tips. Thanks especially to the Swan City Snowmobile Club for their efforts. Grooming is only part of the equation, but it's what we noticed most. Smooth ride to and from the play areas. Never have seen better.

Top Bottom