Its Heads Up Time

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago a skiing guide up at Island Lake ski lodge near Fernie was killed in a avi near the lodge. If I remeber correctly the employee was outside the lodge checking out the avi conditions

Reactions: RGM

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Years ago a skiing guide up at Island Lake ski lodge near Fernie was killed in a avi near the lodge. If I remeber correctly the employee was outside the lodge checking out the avi conditions
Yes she was. Couple incidents I refered to were in Lizard bowl and the other was on a slope called 2000 between FMR and Island Lake. You learn a lot about slides in that country

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats one of the biggest myths out there. Guys tell me all the time "I don't ride avy zones I ride the trees" In the trees in an avy zone is very dangerous.
Pros get fooled as stated earlier in this thread In 20 years of involvement with in bounds ski area avy control work I was around 4 incidents where we knew we would get the intended release bombing it but was larger than expected. Luckily only minor injuries.
Take extra precaution this winter. because they will be larger than you may think.
Three weeks ago we were sledding and discussing the snowpack and my son commented on things we are seeing people do and stated I am suprized there hasn't been any accidents. Now there has been these tragic ones and I suspect there may be more. The pros are warning this PWL may not heal.
I've been trying to get that through my parents heads. They live in Ainsworth and have taken up side x siding with tracks on.
Get all the excuses from them.

That's why we go in a big group.
We are just on the logging roads (these ones aren't ploughed).
We're not that high up.

Not one of them is wearing a beacon or packing avy gear. And they get mad at me, when I get mad at them.

I've started sending them avalanche reports and stuff hoping something might sink in

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to get that through my parents heads. They live in Ainsworth and have taken up side x siding with tracks on.

We're not that high up.

Not one of them is wearing a beacon or packing avy gear. And they get mad at me, when I get mad at them.

I've started sending them avalanche reports and stuff hoping something might sink in
Keep on them. Get them to at least take an awareness class.

I had to dig a guy out in a small gulley once, less than 30 feet deep. Three of us there with him to ski cut and open the run. One side sloughed, caught his skis and he fell over head down and just one boot sticking out. We didn't need to search and time to dig down to his head he was starting to black out. Things happen quickly. Very innocent looking spot.

Unfortunately I witness a lot of people with all the lates avy bags on taking huge risks. I have to believe most are just not as aware as they believe they are.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Keep on them. Get them to at least take an awareness class.

I had to dig a guy out in a small gulley once, less than 30 feet deep. Three of us there with him to ski cut and open the run. One side sloughed, caught his skis and he fell over head down and just one boot sticking out. We didn't need to search and time to dig down to his head he was starting to black out. Things happen quickly. Very innocent looking spot.

Unfortunately I witness a lot of people with all the lates avy bags on taking huge risks. I have to believe most are just not as aware as they believe they are.
So true. Imo Those Avy packs give a false sense of security. In the old days when we hi marked open faces with high hp they made sense. Big open toboggan runs with nothing to run into. I don’t wear one anymore because I’m in the trees all the time and I would not pull my pack in the trees anyways. Human pinball does not sound like fun.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So true. Imo Those Avy packs give a false sense of security. In the old days when we hi marked open faces with high hp they made sense. Big open toboggan runs with nothing to run into. I don’t wear one anymore because I’m in the trees all the time and I would not pull my pack in the trees anyways. Human pinball does not sound like fun.
That's where the Highmark bag design seems better. It encases your head help protect against truma.

But still would have to when to pull or when not to

I heard you travel further distances when you do deploy your bag. That further distance could mean going over a cliff or someplace you don't want to be

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Three weeks ago we were sledding and discussing the snowpack and my son commented on things we are seeing people do and stated I am suprized there hasn't been any accidents. Now there has been these tragic ones and I suspect there may be more. The pros are warning this PWL may not heal.
For every death there was proably 10-100 close calls

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snowmobiles really need to take extra heed when deaths occur in the heli industry, it relates to the seriousness of the situation, avalanche safety is front and Center at these operations, it’s what they do every single day! There was a lead and tail guide both highly trained. When I took AvSar a few years ago I was the only sledder among 20 heli guides,
There was a helicopter literally waiting for them that would have been on scene almost instantly as well as every other aircraft and trained personal CMH had at their disposal and yet people still died! Makes you wonder what chance a group of farmers and patch guys from Alberta have!

Last edited:

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

We're not that high up.

"Ignorance is bliss"

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When are you coming out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Debating it right now. I was heading out a couple days ago and had some truck issues.

Maybe next week, but still up in the air.

Kinda worried about avy conditions for the kind of places i like to go.

Was hoping cheese burger was coming out go do some easy tours kinda thing.

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20230417_102647_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230417_102704_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230417_102709_Chrome.jpg

Condolences to the family and friends of the rider.

(One of the guys I work with told about this, he grew up with the rider)

Top Bottom