Invermere area conditions 2018-2019

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are you guys talking about the drop that you take off the back end of whirlpool?
So there are two ways from what I can tell. Straight off the back of whirlpool down forester pass proper.
The second one is a bit more east where to climb the steep shot off whirlpool like you're going to go up the back door to the glacier. There are some heli stakes back there as well. The obvious gully there looks good too and less steep on a map. Was thinking of skiing it first before sled when we had good vis and stability the other day.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So there are two ways from what I can tell. Straight off the back of whirlpool down forester pass proper.
The second one is a bit more east where to climb the steep shot off whirlpool like you're going to go up the back door to the glacier. There are some heli stakes back there as well. The obvious gully there looks good too and less steep on a map. Was thinking of skiing it first before sled when we had good vis and stability the other day.
Ok. Yyp that's the one we did the other day. It's a climb for sure. There had been about 6 or 8 guys drop it before us. Came out no problem with the conditions that day but even a foot of snow could be a job. If I were to do it again I'd drop it and then immediately climb back out and pound a trail in just in case it takes 20 passes and burns a half tank of fuel lol. Nice little area down there tho. Not the most safe of places for slides as all the run outs would deposit you under 20 feet at the bottom of the gulley. Definitely opens up a bunch more riding for that area tho as you could cross the drainage to the west side and I sure keep going to alpine back that way too.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is looking down that valley right where you drop in at. Can see that little lake off to the southeast and the alpine I mentioned way to the west.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's gnarly terrain back there, have never dropped in. Finger chute climbing is like playing Russian roulette imo.

AaronQ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's gnarly terrain back there, have never dropped in. Finger chute climbing is like playing Russian roulette imo.
For sure. If someone has ever seen those things rip out and run out across the creek you'd never even think about going up them. Ever. Huge amounts of snow up those chutes.

crashidy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The way the wind was hammering on Monday it is likely pretty firm coming up from the south. Great skiing on that north pitch coming to whirlpool. On my way out yesterday there was some nice snow falling. That would be a bit of a chopper ride.

Allseasons

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Those pics, that’s where I dumped in. Google earth is so discieving, I thought I could get to the lake, go down the valley, up into alpine, and possible pop back up into the glacier. No dice, not for me anyhow. Will I go again? Doubtful, didn’t open up enough area to make the chance worth while.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
20190313_222521.jpg

My buddy died on that lake 10 years ago. I've been to the saddle a few times. It's always been rocky on the back side. Looks good if you could keep going.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow sorry to hear about your buddy what happened if you don't mind me asking?

Just an innocent little drag race across a pristine lake. He hit a small hump in the snow, that must have caught him off guard, took a bad tumble and that was it. Gone right there. I wasn't there but went in the next day to help get the sled.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think of him time to time. He was so passionate about riding and a great guy to deal with. He is missed. How is his wife doing James? Have you kept in contact?

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah I think of him time to time. He was so passionate about riding and a great guy to deal with. He is missed. How is his wife doing James? Have you kept in contact?

Glen's wife is doing well. I haven't seen her lately but we exchange the occasional message. He is missed.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember that incident, always sad when someone passes to early.
Yesterday started out great, maybe 20cm fresh in the parking lot but 5km up the trail there was none.
A little in the meadow, a bunch on the glacier but really variable and wind affected. Whirlpool back wall was the spot to be again.
Overall a great day, the new 850 is amazing but didn't fair so well when I tagged a stump searching for snow...
030659e9cb13f91671eb9c18a975d3f8.jpg

Top Bottom