Interesting Story

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
During the September long weekend we went out camping and quading south of edson.
We decided to try out the Robb Snowmobile trail and had alot of fun making progress through the muskeg.

We eventually made our way to a cut block, it was very rough, almost like it was tilled. Half way through we decided to walk to find the trail head. Walking back to our quads I happened to see a phone, picked it up amd it was a Iphone XR, small crack in the screen but in pretty good shape.

When we got back to camp, I cleaned the charge port and plugged it in. After about a hour I tried turning it on and it did.
Date on the phone said May 9th. Thought that was cool, and never gave it much thought the whole weekend till I got it home cause it was locked.

Of course there is no way of getting into these phones if they have been locked, I tried a factory restore and got into the new phone setup screen, but that only gets you so far till it asks for the Icloud login, and password from the original owner. I had some spare time today and was able to see the SN and the sim card number. I decided to take it down to the telus store and see if they knew tricks to identify who owned the phone.
He took the sim card out and identified that it was a Rogers sim card. I gave Rogers a call and the guy on the phone was not very helpful at first, I was asking for his help not the customers personal info. He told me he found a name and number, I asked him to call the number and he was reluctant cause the customer switched carriers. I asked him to try, so he put me on hold.
After about 5min on hold he came back on the line with an enthused tone telling me “you’re not going to believe this but that number was the person who lost his phone, he wants you to call him”. The Rodgers agent gave me his number and I called him.
I got to talking to this fellow from Calgary and he explained that he lost it hunting in a cut block south of edson, in may of last year!!! Ok now Im impressed, that Iphone sat in the dirt with all the rain of last summer, the winter, and the rain from this summer and it still turned on with no other preparations other than cleaning the charge port!!!
I got the fellows info, and shipped it out to him this afternoon.
I’m pretty stoked that I found the owner, let alone impressed that the phone survived in the elements for a year and a half, it was turned on for almost a week in my desk drawer, so im pretty sure its still a good phone.

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was hiking up past the Tram at Jasper and found a phone too. I just held it in my hand so people would casually see it as I returned to the Tram. Later a guy up and asks if I found his phone. He was pretty appreciative too.

DDrake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son found an Iphone 8 on the trails just east of Darwell last spring that after sitting in rice for a week powered right up. Date showed that it had sat on the trails for about 3 weeks. Posted on all the forums in our area that I am on and never did find the owner. Think we still have the phone at our cabin on Lake Isle. Who did you contact to find the owner? Might give it another shot .

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool Matt! Guy was probably happy to get his pics and contact list back

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cool Matt! Guy was probably happy to get his pics and contact list back

even happier that "those" pics of his old lady didnt end up in the internet. After all he did tell her he deleted 'em.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My son found an Iphone 8 on the trails just east of Darwell last spring that after sitting in rice for a week powered right up. Date showed that it had sat on the trails for about 3 weeks. Posted on all the forums in our area that I am on and never did find the owner. Think we still have the phone at our cabin on Lake Isle. Who did you contact to find the owner? Might give it another shot .

Took the sim card out and put it in a unlocked phone. Found out it was a Rogers sim, when looking in the settings.
When I called rogers I gave them the sim and asked the agent to call the number attached to the sim, due to the confidentiality, that agent has to be willing to help. They will not give out that info, I totally understand and I never asked for the info.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We stayed a wild night at the Ol' Great Divide years back when we were about 18... woke up to 2' of fresh in the lot and a friend was missing his Iphone 4. Slayed pow at Louise all day and got a call from my friends mom. The hotel workers were blowing the snow off the sidewalk and seen something shoot out... it was my friends phone. They were able to get into his FB, contact his mommy and tell him her baby boy lost his phone... We still laugh about it... it went through the ****ing snowblower and he made calls from it lol

Top Bottom