Insurance for mountain sleds

Jsymes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wondering what everyone pays for insurance on their mountain sleds and what their coverage consists of. Does anyone have coverage for helicopter costs if need be? Just looking for prices and details, time to switch mine up I think

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For Alberta I only have third party liability ($2,000,000 - $57, Accident benefits (comulsory) - $18 & fire and theft $ 250 deductible - $60 This was on a 2012 Summit SP valued at $13,000. I do not buy collision as if I F up, I will pay out of my own pocket as it is very expensive and I am a conservative rider.

Note that fire and theft coverage includes collision and roll over of the carrying vehicle and comprehensive coverage does not. You trade that for vandalism and malicious mischief under comp.

Recovery costs from an insured loss are included so if it catches fire (in my case), the helicopter ride is included assuming that is the only reasonable way to recover it. If you had collision and smashed it up, same deal. If it just breaks down out in the boonies, you are literally on your own. Not aware of anybody that offers recovery for mechanical breakdown.

All my vehicles (cars, suv, 1 ton, quads and sleds) all insured through Aviva.

Hope this helps.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay nothing for no coverage. Figure if I break it paying out of pocket is a good lesson. Don't ride that hard anymore, and my 2010 sled is worth next to nothing.

Chronic Cat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pay nothing for no coverage. Figure if I break it paying out of pocket is a good lesson. Don't ride that hard anymore, and my 2010 sled is worth next to nothing.

So do you only ride on your own private land then? I would sure hope so, as insurance isn't just to cover your own mistakes and problems, it's to cover the others also involved in the same misfortune.

AxysAssault

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So do you only ride on your own private land then? I would sure hope so, as insurance isn't just to cover your own mistakes and problems, it's to cover the others also involved in the same misfortune.
Ya man. You hit me while I'm eating lunch on the hill, better have the cash to pay up.

Anyways, I am also with Aviva. I think with full coverage including collision, it's around $500. But I just call up my broker and take collision off for the summer. They don't disperse the collision portion for the entire year. So i only maybe pay for 4 months worth.

Jsymes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For Alberta I only have third party liability ($2,000,000 - $57, Accident benefits (comulsory) - $18 & fire and theft $ 250 deductible - $60 This was on a 2012 Summit SP valued at $13,000. I do not buy collision as if I F up, I will pay out of my own pocket as it is very expensive and I am a conservative rider.

Note that fire and theft coverage includes collision and roll over of the carrying vehicle and comprehensive coverage does not. You trade that for vandalism and malicious mischief under comp.

Recovery costs from an insured loss are included so if it catches fire (in my case), the helicopter ride is included assuming that is the only reasonable way to recover it. If you had collision and smashed it up, same deal. If it just breaks down out in the boonies, you are literally on your own. Not aware of anybody that offers recovery for mechanical breakdown.

All my vehicles (cars, suv, 1 ton, quads and sleds) all insured through Aviva.

Hope this helps.

My insurance company told me that carrying vehicle accident is only covered with collision ( part of the reason I want to switch) i feel the same as you, if I crash myself I 'll pay for it. Only reason I've been paying for it now is cuz they said I had to in order to have it covered while on the truck.. Guess it's time to change companies

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya man. You hit me while I'm eating lunch on the hill, better have the cash to pay up.

Anyways, I am also with Aviva. I think with full coverage including collision, it's around $500. But I just call up my broker and take collision off for the summer. They don't disperse the collision portion for the entire year. So i only maybe pay for 4 months worth.

Happened to me last year, only had 300km on my sled and a young guy that couldnt help but ride around everyone else's group (parked well out of the way) decided to ride with no tether and do a small drop. Next thing i know i look and his sled is coming at me with the throttle stuck open, i jumped out of the way and his sled smoked mine from the back left corner moving it about 10ft and doing 4k worth of damage. I think he was as happy as i was that he had insurance to cover it.

I never keep collision on my sled as i will accept my own fate on my end if i wreck it but the liability insurance is a must as i never want to put anyone out for my mistake.

Think i pay around $300/yr at the most on mine after discounts for lots of vehicles and toys on the same broker.

zeke

Reaction score
Novex through Drayden. They have a deal going with AB snowmobile assoc. I payed under $200 for my 2016 axys. No collision.

Jsymes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Novex through Drayden. They have a deal going with AB snowmobile assoc. I payed under $200 for my 2016 axys. No collision.

Does that cover it while your hauling it?

highmarker800

Reaction score
In BC I pay 540.00 a year for full coverage and liability. This also covers me on the hwy and doubles icbc coverage for my sled deck and includes 2000.00 for rescue of the sled. insured for 14,000 16 summit t3.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Nope. Crown Land and Forest service roads. My risk....my choice. Snowmobiles do not require liability insurance in BC. I think you'd be very surprised how many don't have it.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BCWF say it is good for 2 million liability for anything you own as long as it is being used for hunting a fishing. I doubt the coverage is much good but it stops a fine for not having liability insurance.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BCWF say it is good for 2 million liability for anything you own as long as it is being used for hunting a fishing. I doubt the coverage is much good but it stops a fine for not having liability insurance.

I did that the first year I had my quad. CO stopped me with no fishing rod and obviously not hunting (it was August). Produced that insurance. He laughed at me, told me to get some real insurance, and gave me a warning ticket. Now I buy actual liability insurance for my quad. Not my sleds though. Not required.

Hylode

Reaction score
I just got a quote from the Co-op Peeps and they gave me a quote of $ 432 per year (Full Coverage / $ 500 Deduct.) , I usually run PLPD , but after my friend tapped a rock and the cost was close to 5K so I think $ 400.00 is reasonable !

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a fishing rod in my quad, sxs and atc. I would take any ticket from CO to court, I know I would win that one.

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I pack a fishing rod in my sled also we prefer to ride areas with 10 or less trucks in the parking lot so less chance of accidents

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What policies cover the sled if its being hauled in a trailer or on a deck? The truck and trailer insurance usually does not? The only reason I have collision is for transporting.

I think mine in about 470 full coverage and 2 mil liability, with a 1000 deductible, and sled is insured for full replacement.

burky

Reaction score
Wow looks like I may be switching to co op, my insurance quoted me 360.00 plus 800.00 extra for the collision (with a good record).I refused the collision part ....2017 summit 850. This is through Intact

Top Bottom