Injection oil?

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the boy a 1997 summit 583,It has blue injection oil in it(so obviously not brp),I would like to know what type of injection oil people think it is so I can continue using the same oil.Has anyone had luck draining the oil tank and switch to a different type let me know thanks.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could be a number of oils. Maybe the previous owner can tell you? You can change the oil out. I wouldn't get it to the point where you have to re bleed the injection system if you aren't comfortable with doing that. Oils will separate so I wouldn't recommend just dumping BRP oil on top of it. My 2 cents.

tiger666

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never mixed oils before,and the previous owners no help.The engine only has 2000k on it so I don't want to screw with it,I will probably go to crappy tire and see if I can find some blue oil(mentally it will make me feel better).I was just hopeing someone had an old sled and they were using a blue oil and give me a brand.

acesup800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never mixed oils before,and the previous owners no help.The engine only has 2000k on it so I don't want to screw with it,I will probably go to crappy tire and see if I can find some blue oil(mentally it will make me feel better).I was just hopeing someone had an old sled and they were using a blue oil and give me a brand.
Shell advance synthetic at Canadian Tire is blue and good stuff

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the shell is blue and really good oil . I used it in my 670 summit never a problem.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is shell blue again bc it used to be blue then it was yellow/gold like engine oil for awhile. Haven’t bought any in awhile for sled at lake so couldn’t tell you colour

retiredpop

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're really concerned about mixing oils then siphon out as much of the existing oil you can and fill with oil of your choice. There are too many blue oils out there to guess what could be in there.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
YamaLube is really dark, almost looks like oil out of a diesel lol

Tig

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies,I'll try the shell advanced it sounds like a good oil.

norona

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.noronalife.com
no issue, how do you know the previous owner did not mix oils, it wont make one difference. There are better oils, than others but it wont make one difference so just add more oil, dont waste time syphning any out,

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've moved both sleds to the Shell Advanced Synthetic. I used to run it in both my Summit 670X and my wife's Summit 600. I ran Cat oil in my HCR but it got too expensive. It runs the Shell Advanced now as well. If you can find it at Walmart the regular price is actually less then when it goes on sale at CT.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is shell blue again bc it used to be blue then it was yellow/gold like engine oil for awhile. Haven’t bought any in awhile for sled at lake so couldn’t tell you colour

It’s been blue for probably 12-13 years, ran the shell in an 08 M8 when it was brand new and it was clear yellowish like mineral oil or engine oil and the next season it changed to blue

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe blue marble, i have switched brands of oil, i always drained it the best i can then fill it with new oil and never had an issue.

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Most injection oils are TC3W now. There only used to be issues with oils sludging up when you mixed TC3 and TC3W oils back in the day. I don't think they make a TC3 oil anymore. Any of the major brands will be fine. Its a 25 yr old sled, I would bet they didn't run a top of the line oil like Blue Marble or Royal Purple. Its likely the Shell Advance which is a lot cheaper. run it down as low in the tank as you can or suck most if it out with a syringe, fill it up with new stuff and it should be just fine. Its not usually about which brand you run, as much as it is about how much you run. Just don't turn the oiler down and add a splash in each tank for a little bit extra and that engine will outlast your grandkids.

Top Bottom