Indmar eco boost

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the performance, fuel usage, and reliability. Kind of considering a smaller boat this time , probably one that used to come with a sportjet.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the performance, fuel usage, and reliability. Kind of considering a smaller boat this time , probably one that used to come with a sportjet.

Don’t think I’d buy one. Lots of issues and indamar isn’t standing behind them. Fire fish and other builders won’t put them in anymore because of that. From what I here when they run they work very good. I’d get the a few years to work bugs out.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don’t think I’d buy one. Lots of issues and indamar isn’t standing behind them. Fire fish and other builders won’t put them in anymore because of that. From what I here when they run they work very good. I’d get the a few years to work bugs out.
Have to disagree with you here neilsleder. The motor has been out for a couple years now. Coyote, custom weld, kingfisher just to name a few are using them and getting good results. All the power of a V8 with far less weight is a huge gain. What does have me confused is they only seem to match them with a AT, maybe a torque thing pressure vs volume pumps???? Nothing wrong imo with the AT.

I wouldn't shy away

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Please describe what you mean by getting good results? If Coyote is saying they have had good results they are FOS. If they are saying some perform well in a lighter boat coupled to an AT pump then they are telling partial truths. They should be telling everyone that there have been a couple dozen or so have had a lot of over heating issues, fuel pump issues, some motors piling up in under 10hrs and they should be sold with a good tow rope. I would definitely do a little more research what warrantee will cover in the event of a something failing. I don't think we are anywhere near saying they are a dependable power plant for a jet boat. I would call the a few of the other dealerships to ask their opinion. I have personally seen 3 or 4 low hr boats being towed down the river with that motor. And one more than a couple times.

No Offense S.W.A.T, just writing what I have seen.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do your research, and lots of it.

There's more than a few of them out there now, lots of them work great, but intermingled in those is some that don't. The worrisome part to me is how many failures there have been at low hours.

IIRC the 6.2 is less than 200lbs heavier, the AT is often paired with the Eco because it is significantly lighter than the 212.

If a guy wants an Eco Stojans in GP has at least 4 Coyotes on the lot right now, I haven't seen a Firefish with 6.2 all year at Windsor, they were sold before arrival. Go for a ride in a Coyote with an Eco, and then go for a ride in a Firefish Convict with a 6.2, my belief is most people are going to want the Convict.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
some motors piling up in under 10hrs and they should be sold with a good tow rope. I don't think we are anywhere near saying they are a dependable power plant for a jet boat. I would call the a few of the other dealerships to ask their opinion. I have personally seen 3 or 4 low hr boats being towed down the river with that motor.

Funny you mention that, first time I seen a Coyote on the river it was on a tow rope.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have to disagree with you here neilsleder. The motor has been out for a couple years now. Coyote, custom weld, kingfisher just to name a few are using them and getting good results. All the power of a V8 with far less weight is a huge gain. What does have me confused is they only seem to match them with a AT, maybe a torque thing pressure vs volume pumps???? Nothing wrong imo with the AT.

I wouldn't shy away

Coyote has had there share of issues with them even the owner of gibbons said that at the launch. They had demo days a couple years ago on the nsr in Edmonton and one decided to throw a rod. Fixed and impeller for a guy him and his buddy bought new boats with the eco in them. He sold his because it never once made it back to the truck in the 6 times he had it out. But said his buddies was good, when he came and grabbed his impeller a couple days later he said his buddies threw a rod. And hear multiple out her stories, and all say Indmar isn’t standing behind them. They are lighter 540pounds (the rumour they weigh 350 isn’t right that’s the torque) vs 707 for a 5.3DI and think the the 6.2 is very similar weight. From the boats I see I think they work better the AT pump. Usually very impressive the way they go. With the Hamilton it doesn’t impress me as much. I think they demand to much from the motor before the turbo builds?

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the weight difference isn't that much. And they do not make the require torq to operate a Hamilton I don't believe. I do give Coyote props for trying build a decent river boat for under $100g. If you get one of the ones without issues, you may be smiling. I just don't see them selling very good in 5-10years when they 250++ hrs on them.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The owner of gibbons say most of the issues were water ingestion. Either condensation from the inter cooler or leaking coolers. They had rusted/ fouled plugs to hydraulic motors. And once the green dot goes red no warranty. Them and coyote were getting they head engineer and few big wigs from indmar coming up to actually see the issues. So good on those guys for actually trying to get the issues figured

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would love to built a 15-16 outlaw sport with one and a 309. I rode in a coyote 18 with one worked well, pulled an A impeller to 4400rpm, owner had a wiring harness issue when new Indmar warranted has about 130 hours on it since no problems. If bugs are now worked out can’t see why not, for perspective my 2018 kem 6.2 crapped the high pressure fuel pump at 40 hours and they denied warranty for some bs reason.

firefish weighed one 500lbs with coupler, kem lists their 6.2 at 717lbs no coupler.

I think the match for light weight boat with a 309 good fit. Bigger boats, work boats, or Hamilton I’d go 6.2di.

Last edited:

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The owner of gibbons say most of the issues were water ingestion. Either condensation from the inter cooler or leaking coolers. They had rusted/ fouled plugs to hydraulic motors. And once the green dot goes red no warranty. Them and coyote were getting they head engineer and few big wigs from indmar coming up to actually see the issues. So good on those guys for actually trying to get the issues figured
When I spoke with gibbons about these issues this spring the conversation pretty much mirrors what you wrote. That being said it's been on the water for 2+ years now and they do seem to be standing behind the product, at least that was what was explained to me.

It's very new product, I've personally witnessed many SJ's blow up, cracked blocks, thrown plugs and cracked heads under 100hrs but have also seen a few over 1000 trouble free. The local boat guy spends most of his summer repairing convicts as the seem to develop a bend in the transom that causes a porpoise issue. Too weak? Too much weight in the back? Too much abuse?

How many horror stories are on this site about various sleds blowing up on the first ride?

I honestly believe 200lbs of difference in boat is a huge savings. I don't know that the eco will pack the bigger loads that a 350 or a 6.2 will but how often is a jet boat actually loaded to the hilt, 1 or 2 hunting trips a year. Woodridge has built a few matched with a 212 and they do seem to work in their lighter models

Last edited:

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When I spoke with gibbons about these issues this spring the conversation pretty much mirrors what you wrote. That being said it's been on the water for 2+ years now and they do seem to be standing behind the product, at least that was what was explained to me.

It's very new product, I've personally witnessed many SJ's blow up, cracked blocks, thrown plugs and cracked heads under 100hrs but have also seen a few over 1000 trouble free. The local boat guy spends most of his summer repairing convicts as the seem to develop a bend in the transom that causes a porpoise issue. Too weak? Too much weight in the back? Too much abuse?

How many horror stories are on this site about various sleds blowing up on the first ride?

I honestly believe 200lbs of difference in boat is a huge savings. I don't know that the eco will pack the bigger loads that a 350 or a 6.2 will but how often is a jet boat actually loaded to the hilt, 1 or 2 hunting trips a year. Woodridge has built a few matched with a 212 and they do seem to work in their lighter models

Never heard about a bend in the transom on the convict, the ones I’ve been around have been great boats. To have the perfect boat you need about 6 different ones lol. As for sport jets yah lots go down lots run. I personally am done with mine and switching it out. 1UZ Lexus/Toyota 4.0L v8. It’s a bulletproof motor and weighs 566 pounds 300hp and 310ftp of torque. To bad they still don’t make them

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I honestly believe 200lbs of difference in boat is a huge savings. I don't know that the eco will pack the bigger loads that a 350 or a 6.2 will but how often is a jet boat actually loaded to the hilt, 1 or 2 hunting trips a year
N
Never heard about a bend in the transom on the convict, the ones I’ve been around have been great boats. To have the perfect boat you need about 6 different ones lol. As for sport jets yah lots go down lots run. I personally am done with mine and switching it out. 1UZ Lexus/Toyota 4.0L v8. It’s a bulletproof motor and weighs 566 pounds 300hp and 310ftp of torque. To bad they still don’t make them
Not picking a fight just trying to understand your thought process.

Swapping out one extinct motor for another? Just because you want to?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
N

Not picking a fight just trying to understand your thought process.

Swapping out one extinct motor for another? Just because you want to?

Yah I’ve been wanting to do this for years. The v8 is brand new never been ran. Tons of parts still available and lots of aftermarket parts for it. So not worried there. It’s not my first choice of motors but it was cheap. I got a Scott 812 pump, stomp grate, heat exchanger, heater, tons of other stuff that I don’t really need but came with it for $19g. Did a rough cost on everything and the motor is getting under $2000 so that’s the biggest reason. And that 1UZ motor is reliable as they get.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't shy away
Wrong lol they are blowing up left and right and Indmar is not looking after the issues. 178 pounds difference than a 6.2 its a no brainer for me.

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

"The local boat guy spends most of his summer repairing convicts as the seem to develop a bend in the transom that causes a porpoise issue" Too weak? Too much weight in the back? Too much abuse? Come on SWAT most of his summer ??? For one the hulls have warranty for life, for two they have huge trim tabs at the back to adjust for any ride issues, for 3 what are all the convicts doing hanging around the lake ? Sorry SWAT I call bullch!t on this only cuz I have put one through the paces and also in close contact with others.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
"The local boat guy spends most of his summer repairing convicts as the seem to develop a bend in the transom that causes a porpoise issue" Too weak? Too much weight in the back? Too much abuse? Come on SWAT most of his summer ??? For one the hulls have warranty for life, for two they have huge trim tabs at the back to adjust for any ride issues, for 3 what are all the convicts doing hanging around the lake ? Sorry SWAT I call bullch!t on this only cuz I have put one through the paces and also in close contact with others.

Been waiting for you to show up here and help me out lol

Top Bottom