In the wake of the recent trajedies,

dizzle

Reaction score
Should almost have cheaper trail pass if you show ast1. I'm just getting back into mountian riding for next season. But going for ast1 in oct. Then hopefully ast2 in winter.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it's all about the mighty dollar.
Every dealer out there should stick around and together offer it in their packages..

See, if one company offer this, and another doesn't... the one that doesn't can undercut it's competitor.
A friend of mine knows the owners of Cycleworks and has tried many times to make this happen. it, just won't happen unless ALL are on board.

I wonder why is it that no company gives a spring sales deal or snow check deal where you get a voucher for a free aster course. I know in the grand scheme of things people that dont want it wont go but maybe being free might be that little bit to push someone over the edge to take it.

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow sounds like you had a pretty basic AST1

I realize that it goes more into depth on the AST2

One of the biggest excuses that I heard from people, is " why waste a perfectly good sledding day/weekend. If I'm gonna drive all that way, I am gonna sled."

I had some newer riding partners that didn't get the level 1 and for years I told them to do it.. It basically came down for me to take the refresher to get their act together. They are glad they did though.

It's the "push" that was needed. i am glad I took the refresher, because of the new technology, and techniques. The course evolves also.

I think the thing to remember is that ast 1 is a entry level course. It gives you the basic understanding of hazardous terrain and how to do perform a single burial rescue. This is great but most sledders need more than this. A ast2 starts to put the entire picture together of navigating avalanche terrain and understanding the snow pack that overlies it. Ast2 goes farther in depth on rescue for multiple burials, marking/flagging function and scene control. Please don't stop at a ast 1 or get a recertification of it as this is a continuous learning process. My 2 cents.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should almost have cheaper trail pass if you show ast1.

So the club ends up paying for your AST1 by discounting a trail pass that barely covers most clubs expenses to begin with, or more often than not doesn't cover them.
Here's a news flash for you.....the clubs are NOT responsible for your safety. You are!

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So the club ends up paying for your AST1 by discounting a trail pass that barely covers most clubs expenses to begin with, or more often than not doesn't cover them.
Here's a news flash for you.....the clubs are NOT responsible for your safety. You are!
I allready said this

Obviously no one knows the 25 buck trail pass, the club gets 20 of that, and 20 just barley covers all costs as a non profit organization

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, then go the other way and "up" the rate and charge more for not having the credentials. Take the extra cash to pay for safety stuff for the cabins.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ok, then go the other way and "up" the rate and charge more for not having the credentials. Take the extra cash to pay for safety stuff for the cabins.
Won't work either

People b!tch enough on the 25 bucks now

Do u realize how many bypass the booth the back way in ect.... It's one of the BCSF list of things to curb

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
every club has a slightly different set of circumstances to balance there non profit status in our area the manger probably gets paid less per hour than the toll both collectors. I believe Varda has very prominent sponsors that help fund things like the beacon search field at clemina. towns like golden and revy charge a resort tax on your hotels and fuel and these funds get pumped back into the skiing and sled clubs of those towns

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I find it amusing that peeps feel the manufacturer, or the dealer should pay for the course for their
customers or the Clubs should discount their passes for the riders. Anybody other than me think that the riders should pay their way to protect themselves instead of relying on someone else to do it for them?:confused:

BIGHORN1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's rather sad that everyone seems to haven no problem spending 15k on a sled yet they whine about a few hundred bucks for a course that could save there life as well as someone else's.

I don't feel this should be the dealers responsibility cost wise, however some dealer influence may go a long ways with promoting the course.

It might be a long shot and would only work if all dealers were on board but what about only selling mountain models to people with a valid ast course?

just thinking out loud here and thought I would throw it out there for discussion.

it would definitely take a commitment from all dealers or it would not work as sales would skyrocket for the ones that weren't on board.

I find it amusing that peeps feel the manufacturer, or the dealer should pay for the course for their
customers or the Clubs should discount their passes for the riders. Anybody other than me think that the riders should pay their way to protect themselves instead of relying on someone else to do it for them?:confused:

Cycle Works Red Deer

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
Website
www.cycleworks.com
For the last 2 seasons we have offered a AST1 course for our Snow check customers. This past year we also offered Free safety tethers, and same with our current 2017 snow check program going on right now.

This past season we decided to hold the AST1 course right in our store and offer it to not just our snow check customers, and staff but to the general public customers or not. We had an amazing turnout, filled all the spots, but that didn't come without a giant push...we have full intentions of holding another AST course again next season.

Mid season we hosted a beacon rescue workshop and AST1 course the following day. The opportunity is more then their and is up to YOU to take advantage of it.

Last edited:

CUSO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok fair enough..

What is YOUR solution to get more people to take a course?

the current scenario isn't cutting it.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
I personally would like to see more dealers hosting actual AST1 courses, I know brp does the avalanche workshops but I'd like to see full AST 1 courses. If possible host it in the showroom, and maybe offer the attendees a 10% discount on all safety gear purchased from that location for a period of time. I know ZacsTracs has discount coupons at some dealers for courses and that's great too as long as the sales people are offering those out to the customers when they purchase their snowmobiles or parts.

There is no solid answer on how to get full compliance. Just like drivers training, not everyone takes it, nor is it mandatory or enforceable.

rightsideup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the manufacture or sales people simply have an obligation to say you have bought a 165 x 3 inch snowmobile that can take you to dangerous terrain and say they should take the appropriate training to ride in those areas. If you offer a 2 hour training course as I believe some manufactures did in the recent pass some people believe that is adequate.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca

Never should anyone but the attendee pay for their course... If someone gets a course for free with purchase of a sled, for example, are they going to pay attention, and get as much out of a course as someone that pays the way with their own hard earned cash?
I would tend to compare that to kids being given a vehicle when they first start driving. Are they going to take care of it as well as someone who works and buys their first car? Not likely.
Just my 2cents, and maybe the father coming out in me ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Maybe a prerequisite to getting a sled license plate, registration and insurance could be an ast1 course, if they have a mountain sled?
Or another angle may be cheaper insurance, if they have at least ast1 certification?
Food for thought

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooooooo............just how many of the sledder avy deaths in the last 5 years were people that DIDN'T have training and the proper equipment. If memory serves me it was very few. I think we're barking up the wrong tree here.
X2, just thinking off the top of my head that I can recall

1-2 in say 30

Been a few that have been luckily found and alive with no beacon in the last 5 years

bingo1010

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Soooooooo............just how many of the sledder avy deaths in the last 5 years were people that DIDN'T have training and the proper equipment. If memory serves me it was very few. I think we're barking up the wrong tree here.

good point, something that should be looked into and tracked somehow, if the majority have the tools and the training then what???

Top Bottom