In-Helmet 2-ways

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone use them? Pros? Cons?

Looking at the Lexin B4M

Just thought it would be cool to chat back and fourth without having to stop and grab the mic button on the baofeng

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My boys and I have had some for about 10 years now. BT and voice activated. We like them. Have to adjust the setting tho cuz if you have a can on sled sometimes that noise at wot will activate it and everyone hears you. Lol I will have to look at brand again but like I said they are 10 + years old so I'm sure the ones you are looking at are better technology.

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a set of these for the bikes. They work good for communication. There is better/more spendy stuff out there if you want good sound for music. I'm not sure how the batteries would last in the cold with these.

Cubby

Reaction score
I have a set of B4FM. I not really impressed with them. The range in the wide open is maybe 200 yards. If you get too far away it beeps and squeals which is really annoying. I have had an issue where everytime I turned them off I had to re-pair but Lexin gave me some instructions to fix that (havent tried it yet). A buddy has the Cardo Bolds and loves them. But they are 2x the price.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When it comes to 2way coms there is only 2 brands that are worth looking at and they come at a price.
Cardo and Sena, personally I prefer the Cardo and I do have both.
The thing you need to remember on these is they are more of a line of sight communicator.
So if one rider gets a little too far ahead on a trail with curves and lots of trees you will lose connection.
The Cardo will advise you when connection is lost and automatically reconnect. The Sena does not and you need to manually reconnect by pushing a button.
Both brands have a range of nearly 1km, as long as it is uninterrupted.
We use the Sena on our motorcycles only as the wife prefers the Sena. The Cardo I prefer all around, will use on the sleds on occasions, the wife likes it while up in the alpine above tree line because I will point out danger zones and problem spots like holes, crevasses and so on as we travel along. I usually use them on the Icefields, local riding we don't.

Last edited:

Levithan

Reaction score
My sena evo 20's reconnect automatically and beep when out of range, mine also have a range of approx 2km

meierjn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you certainly get what you pay for wit these. The Lexins worked for me when teaching my son how to ride a bike and get ready for his class 6. They also work good if you have a passenger on the back of the bike. I haven't had the "squealing" issue Cubby mentioned when you go out of range. Mine have also always remained connected after being powered off. I guess I'm just lucky.

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund sold me on the cardos, watched a few videos on them and they seem like exactly what I'm looking for, automatic volume adjustment, voice command, decent range. Ordered a pair of the 4+ we'll see how they work

rsmorin1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lund sold me on the cardos, watched a few videos on them and they seem like exactly what I'm looking for, automatic volume adjustment, voice command, decent range. Ordered a pair of the 4+ we'll see how they work
I picked up a set of the Freecom 4 last year, my son has his motorcycle learners & i wanted direct contact with him. I really like it - my only b!tch about it is the volume wheel. Depending on the collar on your jacket it either cranks it way up or down when shoulder checking. I changed out my jacket to a KLIM with a mandarin collar & it happens less but will once in a while. I do love the Cardo for playing music!

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One con... that one guy in your group that doesn't know how to use the mic properly and you get a constant charlie brown's teacher voice in your ear as your trying to enjoy your ride.
I've thought about an ear piece for the baofeng and quickly realized I would not like it. :)

Quicksand

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Figured I'd do a review on the Cardo freecom 4 now that we've run them a few times.

Out of the box, they look decent but the wiring is very weak and I'm guessing this is where they'll fail, super thin wires and not great connectors

Running the wires for the speakers and mic (and tucking away the excess) is a pain but not too bad. Just gotta get everything sitting right where you don't notice it and for some helmets I could see being worse than others.

Speakers are thicker than I feel they need to be and depending on how small the shell of your helmet is you'll definitely feel them pushing on your ear a bit. With my FXR helium helmet it's noticeable but still tolerable after 3 consecutive days of riding.

The two-way communication works quite well and sounds clear even cruising up the trail but it really is a "line of site" distance and after that it disconnects. In the trees it seemed to do better than up the trail for some reason but ya not super long for distance. It will reconnect on its own though which is nice.

The voice commands thing works good although slightly annoying having to say "hey cardo" for everything. You get used to it though but it sure confuses everyone around you until they realize what you're talking to when you pull up to the group and say "hey cardo, music off".

The Music, this is something that I've tried before with earphones and hated it, I like to be able to hear my engine and everything around me and with earphones you're completely oblivious. But with this system, having the sound in the helmet instead of right in your ear, you can still hear everything else just fine. This has quickly become my favorite thing about the cardo system, it adds another level to riding, and it really does make the whole day better.

Battery life is great, after 3 days of riding was still at 60%

We had one issue last time out where my wife's mic quit working and it never did come back. Not sure where exactly the problem is but I can plug my mic into her system and it works fine. Sent a message to cardo and they are sending me a new one no questions asked, so the company is good to deal with if/when you have an issue. Hopefully it's a one time problem.

Overall they work as advertised and I don't regret the purchase even though they weren't exactly cheap at $450 for the set we picked up

Top Bottom