Ignition key cutting

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Long story short, but I lost an only ignition key for my street bike.
I have been digging around and I have found out that I can not get a key cut from a code or the VIN.

I have heard that some locksmiths can cut a key from measuring the lock (tumblers) it self. Is this possible?

Does anyone know of a highly skilled locksmith that might be able to do this?

any help is appreciated....Thanks

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We also lost quad key and had this guy make us a key the old fashion way, cost us 50 bucks for it. If you want I can dig up his number, but might need ignition to do it. Let me know.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would be able to remove helmut lock or a lock from the fairing to take to a locksmith

looneyrod27

Reaction score
if im not mistaken, you will need to take your igniton off the bike in order to have a new key made. The helmet lock or fuel tank lock doesn't utilize all the cuts made on the key to operate. For an example your igniton cylinder might contain 5 tumblers where as the other locks would only have 3or 4. I had a new key made for mine last year and the locksmith told me about that. Also you will need to bring proof of ownership and id for them to cut the new key. hope this helps

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if im not mistaken, you will need to take your igniton off the bike in order to have a new key made. The helmet lock or fuel tank lock doesn't utilize all the cuts made on the key to operate. For an example your igniton cylinder might contain 5 tumblers where as the other locks would only have 3or 4. I had a new key made for mine last year and the locksmith told me about that. Also you will need to bring proof of ownership and id for them to cut the new key. hope this helps

X2 on ignition key to be made,it can be done, look up Pete's locksmith he does lots for me. Good luck

etecheaven

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem, lost my only key to my GSXR 750. Its important you dont have an immobilizer on your bike if you just want a key cut. Looks like im hauling my bike to edmonton to All Lock Rescue. They said they can fix me up.

QMAO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I found a locksmith in Lacombe that says he can cut a key using ether ignition or helmit lock

Top Bottom