If your ETEC ever just idles and won't power up.

Reaction score
I broke my thumb throttle and replaced it. The cable end hooks into a slot on the thumb lever and if it is not seated properly the sled won't power up because the rev limiter will kick in a hold rev's at idle only. The symptoms you see will be; it will start fine and after warm up will idle properly (1200 RPM) No idiot lights will flash showing it's not in limp mode, the gauge cluster will look normal. When you press the throttle the revs won't increase you will get the sound of more than enough air but not any fuel. This is caused by the throttle sensors not reading zero. Anything holding the throttle from returning to zero will cause this. This is a safety feature built into ETEC's so they won't rev past idle if the sled was started with the throttle pressed or stuck open. I have read other accounts of this happening before and no one seemed to know why. I got this explanation from a Tec where I bought the sled. So if you ever have the problem of not being able to get the sled pasted idle, check that your throttle thumb lever is clear of snow and ice and the cable is seated properly.

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Happens lots also when riding in deep pow if you are rolling the sled over to get unstuck....snow builds up under the throttle and needs to be cleaned out.

Joum39

Reaction score
Also happens if your buddy lands his sled on top of yours, bending the riser as far forward as it will go, stretching the throttle cable! Try not to do that!

Joum39

Reaction score
What were you doing under his sled?
Long story, short, we were riding up a water runout and fell into a hole in front of a downed tree and once the group had assembled there he decided to come up beside me and help, and when he hit the little lip in front of my sled, instead of side hilling to the right and around me it launched him straight up and on to me. It was fairly wild, no damage other than his ski hit the riser, I actually have a carbide mark across the riser, and the track spun the taillight assembly off. Was worth it for the laugh that's for sure!

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man I wish I would have know that the last time I went riding!! It all started on a nice spring day at Allen Creek. My buddy flipped his sled and snapped off the handle bars. Ok no big deal right just ride it out. Well while trying to get down from the hill he was on as he was turning to head down (keeping in mind he only has the left handle bar to hang onto and holding the throttle and broken handle bar in the other) the throttle got stuck wide open! so his sled goes full tilt down this hill hits a bump and flips again.It landed upside down screaming wide open for nearly two minutes before he could get to it to shut it off! (i had no idea a person could run downhill that fast)Any way after that it wouldn't run past idle because the throttle plate was open just a bit because the cable got yanked or stretched from the bars snapping off(of course we didn't find that out until later)By the time we got back to the truck he looked like he had spent the day mud bogging because i had just towed him thru 4 kilometers of dry/muddy trail(couldn't get the truck past a huge snow bank at the begining of the trail) Lesson learned: spring riding is hard on stuff!

carlos

Reaction score
thanks, gota try that tomorrow,just replaced all the plastic last night from a rollover and wont got past 1200rpm. bars also replaced.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yep 5% is the number it cant be open past for this mode to engage. would you beleive me if i told you i know some people that have choppered sleds off the mountain because of this? and yes happens to me all the time with the snow in the throttle block wont allow you to drive. great feature just need to know how it works

MarkBrideau

Reaction score
This happens to me occasionally in deep powder after getting unstuck because the can gets clogged with snow, thats my theory on it. I clean it out and it works.

carlos

Reaction score
yup throttle cable out of position in thumb lever, thanks to the fellers at camrose motersports!! big smiley face again!!!!! thanks to this thread as well.

Rustystrings

Reaction score
So glad I found this old thread I am hopping this is the issue with my 14 summit got her to work but it is really touchy

Top Bottom