ICF Homes

mathrulz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience when it comes to resale value of ICF constructed homes? Would a home built from ICF be appraised or valued more than a stick built home - all else being equal? One would assume that better construction and more energy efficient would mean higher value, but sometimes appraisers look at things a bit differently!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know a modular home appraises lower than a stick built home and this comes right out of appraisers mouth. As far as icf they have not to many compareables around. A icf would be more of a personal preference.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the appraisers, but no one else cares. Very very few are going to pay more for it. People would rather spend the money elsewhere. The extra cost for it is going to take forever to recoup in energy costs.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did an ICF basement on mine. It's a split level and is only 5 feet in the ground. If you really look at the numbers on it, the labour you save by not having to put up and take down forms for the foundation (only have to put up temp. braces for the ICF), plus being easier to finish inside (no framing on outside walls) makes it a lot closer in price. A complete ICF house is a whole different animal. There's one a block down the street from me and went up at the same time. From what I hear, they are dead quiet inside. You could have a class 5 hurricane going on outside and not hear it.

As far as getting your money back out of it at resale, you'd have to think buyers would put a bit of a premium on it.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sure helps when it is way in the minus figures to stop concrete from freezing. Not sure how this stuff stands up with the test of time though, i have taken off insulated flat roof with same or better quality material than this stuff and that gives you food for thought on the longevity. If this stuff ever starts gassing off it is going to be a nightmare. However so far so good.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did an ICF basement on mine. It's a split level and is only 5 feet in the ground. If you really look at the numbers on it, the labour you save by not having to put up and take down forms for the foundation (only have to put up temp. braces for the ICF), plus being easier to finish inside (no framing on outside walls) makes it a lot closer in price. A complete ICF house is a whole different animal. There's one a block down the street from me and went up at the same time. From what I hear, they are dead quiet inside. You could have a class 5 hurricane going on outside and not hear it.

As far as getting your money back out of it at resale, you'd have to think buyers would put a bit of a premium on it.

The little bit of money you save on the framing, gets eaten by the electricians and plumbers as they charge more for icf.

For me on an average it would cost about 5k more for icf. I dont do it as it would take forever to get that money back in savings and most buyers will not pay for what they cant see. Ask people if they where buying a house if they would rather have a icf basement or a hot tub?

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if you want a warm basement, under the slab needs to be insulated, in-floor heat is also great and most important is to insulate the top of your pony wall as well as the cavity's between the floor joists.

Houses pass code with out the top of the pony walls insulated so no one does it and you loose a ton of heat there. I use 2" foam on top of the walls which really helps.
Most builder's use insulated rim boards which isn't enough. I take the time to put r 20 or 22 batts in and then cut 2" rigid foam for between the joists. It is a little time consuming but not bad after you set the saw up. It's worth it. Gives a nice tight fit to acoustical as well. Spray foam also works but I dont like it.

skidoo6100

Reaction score
How do you pass inspection with exposed rigid foam? Do you vapour barrier the batts you put it?

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How do you pass inspection with exposed rigid foam? Do you vapour barrier the batts you put it?

no I put the batts in first. Really depends on where you are if you have to vapor barrier over it, closed cell or open cell. Usually if your going to drywall they dont care. Been doing it for years only lately they started caring all thanks to spray foam off gassing.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 1850 bungalow with 30x30 garage. Then a 1500 sqft shop 14ft walls. Did my house basement and garage grade beam icf. Then sprayed all exterior walls in both building with spray foam. 24 ins of insulation in attic. In floor heating in shop ,basment and garage. Heat evrything to 20 degrees, heating bill is 2260 for the yr.

Cdnfireman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a 1850 bungalow with 30x30 garage. Then a 1500 sqft shop 14ft walls. Did my house basement and garage grade beam icf. Then sprayed all exterior walls in both building with spray foam. 24 ins of insulation in attic. In floor heating in shop ,basment and garage. Heat evrything to 20 degrees, heating bill is 2260 for the yr.

Any idea how much more it cost to do this vs. Normal stick frame and batt insulation? It's great to have low heating costs but I'm curious what the price difference and payback time is.

pete gads

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Did shop in 2000 and cost about 30% more than batt. ins. Its was fairly new back then. Built house in 2008 and built basement myself so saved money on less concrete and labour to build a concrete basement. When did walls in house had same guy as did shop and his price for me was same as back 8 yrs. So worked out to about 10% more. Saved on vapour barrier cost also. Have neighbour with less sq ft that pays about 60.00 more on average per month. So 60x12x7 equals 5040.00 so paid for its self already.

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The little bit of money you save on the framing, gets eaten by the electricians and plumbers as they charge more for icf.

For me on an average it would cost about 5k more for icf. I dont do it as it would take forever to get that money back in savings and most buyers will not pay for what they cant see. Ask people if they where buying a house if they would rather have a icf basement or a hot tub?

Maybe your subs are charging different, but mine didn't. Not hard to run an old chainsaw down the inside of the wall for wiring runs. No plumbing in outer walls, either.

gates559

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe your subs are charging different, but mine didn't. Not hard to run an old chainsaw down the inside of the wall for wiring runs. No plumbing in outer walls, either.

Usually some plumbing between the garage and house wall for garage taps and floor drain. Subs charge more for anything they can.

Top Bottom