Ice fishing sucked but wolf hunting was good

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went ice fishing with my brother on Saturday to Roche lake. We sxs ed in tried fishing all different spots. Only got one little pike but had some nice bites but couldn't land anything. Just before dark we started to pack up the tent and stuff. Then we spotted this big old wolf trotting across the lake. My brother had his 22-250 so he took a long shot at it and down him. It was an awesome shot. Clocked it with my Ranger and it was 0.7km!
535d18e8c1ef641d4ff26fadc192d52b.jpg

Pretty cool old wolf. Got some battle scares and an old scare from a snare around his neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never could wrap my head around why a guy wants to kill an animal for pleasure... seems gutless.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Never could wrap my head around why a guy wants to kill an animal for pleasure... seems gutless.

I figured there would this type of response. I am sure there's things you do that I don't get, but we do what we do and you do what you do. If you are familiar with the area you would know that the wolves are big problem. There are very few moose and deer in the area. So really we saved lots of deer and moose lol

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I figured there would this type of response. I am sure there's things you do that I don't get, but we do what we do and you do what you do. If you are familiar with the area you would know that the wolves are big problem. There are very few moose and deer in the area. So really we saved lots of deer and moose lol

Typical ignorant response from a guy playing mother nature. If there isn't a lot of moose and deer, wolf populations will decrease on their own, nature always finds an equilibrium, if you paid attention in grade 8 science class, you would have learned that.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for hunting to feed you or your family, but shooting some unsuspecting animal walking across a frozen lake from a distance is nothing to brag about.

I wonder what would happen if everyone started hunting for pleasure, how much wildlife would be left?

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Typical ignorant response from a guy playing mother nature. If there isn't a lot of moose and deer, wolf populations will decrease on their own, nature always finds an equilibrium, if you paid attention in grade 8 science class, you would have learned that.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for hunting to feed you or your family, but shooting some unsuspecting animal walking across a frozen lake from a distance is nothing to brag about.

I wonder what would happen if everyone started hunting for pleasure, how much wildlife would be left?

I get it that you don't like it, and that's fine you are entitled to you opinion. But you don't need to come on here call me names and try to insult my intelligence (even though aren't you the guy that could figure out how to put the can on your sled, and got out smarted by a pop rivet?). Next time just move along and don't read the thread.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The wolf population is out of control. The govt will be paying people to kill them soon if not already. there's not enough people hunting these days and with the warm winters we have animal populations are out of control. I have 10-15 deer a day in my yard.... In Okotoks.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The wolf population is out of control. The govt will be paying people to kill them soon if not already. there's not enough people hunting these days and with the warm winters we have animal populations are out of control. I have 10-15 deer a day in my yard.... In Okotoks.

I think slave lake area has a bounty on them. And we were really close to there. Would have to check the map and see.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Open all year only to land owners shooting on there land. The season is from the opening day of the season to march 31 or June 15 in some wmu's.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Your deer are out of control? Around Barrhead where I grew up the deer are really down in numbers. It's hard to even find them. And up around where we hunt north of Fort Assinobion area it's the same thing. But I have hunted all my life and spent many days in the bush. And the last few years seen more wolf and cougar sign then ever! See very little moose and deer sign.

iceman5689

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Didn't think the need to clarify, open all season with their winter coats for resident hunters. Fall and winter. All other wmu open until bear season's ends. So no tag needed.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your deer are out of control? Around Barrhead where I grew up the deer are really down in numbers. It's hard to even find them. And up around where we hunt north of Fort Assinobion area it's the same thing. But I have hunted all my life and spent many days in the bush. And the last few years seen more wolf and cougar sign then ever! See very little moose and deer sign.

Yes. The deer population around here is insane. Elk and moose as well. I ride fernie a lot and have place at koocanusa.. I'm surprised when I don't see moose driving down highway 22. Maybe the ranchers down here take care of wolves.. I have heard these boars are going to be problem really soon though...

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good on you for filling your tag, wolf populations are really high right now and their target food source (moose) numbers are really low, I haven't seen a bull moose or calf in a few years. There is a bounty on them here in the FSJ area paid by the cattlemans association. It sounds like in BC there may be no bag limit and an open all year season on them coming in the next synopsis, we can only hope. In the area we hunt the CO's said the pack was 12-14 wolves and they were taking cattle (one rancher lost over 20). Myself and a few others worked hard and got the pack down to 2 wolves and are now leaving them alone, a healthy number for the area they run and they are doing well (we find elk kills).

rsaint

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Don't even engage those leaf lickers, nice alpha wolf and there are reasons they are open season and .7k good shooting.

Top Bottom