How high could freight container costs go?

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
November 3, 2021 by Adam Malik

How high could container costs go?​

Ocean freight containers cost 10 times more than they did pre-pandemic and air freight costs have jumped even higher, according to an industry consultant, with no relief in sight.

An ocean freight container in January 2020 — three months before COVID-19 was declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization — coming from Asia to a U.S.-based port cost about $2,700, reported Thomas A. Cook, managing director at Blue Tiger International, a supply chain management consulting agency that works with the U.S.-based Auto Care Association (all prices in U.S. dollars).

One year later, that same container cost upwards of $12,500. In September 2021, costs were as high as $17,000.

“We’ve seen pricing in the mid- to high [$20,000s] as well,” he said during Reducing Risk and Spend in the Global Supply Chain: Challenges & Opportunities in Import and Export as part of the AAPEX October Webinar Series. “So this is something that’s just growing exponentially, and has almost every month.”

ship-container-andy-li-CpsTAUPoScw-unsplash-1024x683.jpg

Andy Li/Unsplash
During his presentation in late October, he noted that prices had stabilized. But he called that just a blip.

“As the Christmas season comes on and Chinese New Year comes on, we expect this to continue to get worse,” Cook said.

Air freight — which many companies have resorted to in order to get products from overseas amid delays in moving containers — has seen prices skyrocket as well.

In January 2020, moving product cost $1.80 per kilogram. A year later, that was up to $9 per kilogram. In September, it reached $10 per kilogram. Expedited services could cost between $15-$20 per kilogram, Cook said.

And if you’re looking to move things by truck, prices have gone from $1,400 in January 2020 to $2,800 in January 2021 to $4,000 on average. Expedited services were, on average, $7,000 to move a truck from Los Angeles to New York.

“A lot of people who are in the industry are budgeting numbers in the range $8,000-$12,000 range as we move forward to the end of this year and move into 2022,” Cook said,

As for delays, a backlog of four to six months to get orders through is fairly standard right now, Cook noted. So anything that would normally take 90-120 days will now be doubled in terms of time to be delivered. In some cases, there are 12-months delays.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And we are being told inflation is at 4.4%. there’s an 80s cliff out there some where if I had a mortgage I’d be locking it in.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Milk just went up 8-12%. The cartel has locked in the price.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pork ribs have doubled in the last 7 months too, used to be $11/kg for back ribs, now they are $20-$25/kg.

This isn't anywhere close to over, going to be seeing shortages for years to come.

Legend14

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a 40’ high cube,…delivery included,,,for $3000 in 2017 now that would cost $8000

tejay

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let’s not forget the additional low carbon fuel penalty coming Jan. 1 of .14 cents per litre (plus gst of course) 4%inflation pffffft . THANK A LIBERAL TODAY

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What does Trudeau care he’s worth more than he can ever spend, Canada 1.6% of global co2 and he’s aok destroying the country for his perceived legacy, (except when he jumps the jet to Tofino for weekend surfing). They are all a bunch of pricks Kenney included, that dip chit is setting up to give Nothead a majority again.

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ahhhh yeahhh!!!! But she’s priceless to me I wish I bought more of them, I want to build a sea can cabin now

I was just thinking sea can houses will be a thing of the past now :(
Hay bale house it is I guess

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
60 Minutes did a story on the freight backup at the LongBeach port. They said container costs now running around $25000. Crazy times sports fans

Top Bottom