SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
April 28, 2022 by Adam Malik

How distracted Canadians are when driving​

Distracted-driving-cell-smart-phone-Depositphotos_219589628_L-1024x682.jpg

Image credit: Depositphotos.com
More than four-in-five Canadians admit to driving distracted and more than half see it as more dangerous than impaired driving, according to a pair of new surveys.

The fourth annual distracted driving report from RatesDotCa found that 83 per cent of Canadian drivers take part in at least one distracted driving behaviour, such as making a phone call on a hand-held device (44 per cent), taking a video (27 per cent) and eating while driving (75 per cent).

These numbers were backed up by a CAA survey released this week where it found that 79 per cent of Canadians admitted to driving distracted. Drivers pointed to in-vehicle technologies, like a phone, the vehicle console or voice-activated features, as the most dangerous distractions. However, they highlighted eating or drinking as the biggest cause of distraction.

CAA reports that 1.6 million collisions every year are caused by using a mobile phone while driving.

“Distracted driving is already the largest cause of collisions in Canada, but the reasons behind it are evolving,” said Ian Jack, vice president of public affairs at CAA National. “New technology in vehicles these days can make a ride more convenient, or even safer, but the combination of all that tech together can lead to even more distraction.”

The RatesDotCa survey found that even though 58 per cent of Canadians believe distracted driving is a bigger contributor to traffic deaths compared to impaired driving, they do it anyway. That’s up from 47 per cent in 2021 and 40 per cent in 2020. Furthermore, 43 per cent said they engage in technology-related distractions, such as texting, while driving.

The survey found that Alberta drivers account for the highest levels of distracted driving at 90 per cent, of course, led by Mike ######'s of Snowandmud.com fame, and Facebook and his alters. Quebec was the lowest at 73 per cent.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think if they allow more digital advertising giant billboards at every street corner and along every busy hiway , plus maybe increase the brightness and clarity , also continue to allow vehicles to install headlights that allow you to see from Edmonton to Red Deer (while totally blinding every oncoming driver) , allow More advertising on the giant tv size gps/media screens on the dash of all vehicles, it would help reduce distracted driving. 🙄🙄
But Yes , these phones are the cause !!!!!!!

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
oh fk the gov't is gonna shutdown my digital wallet cause I'm losing some serious social credit points on this.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm so distracted in playground zones as I'm always focused on looking for radar traps. ;)

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're buying any new vehicle some type of automated steering and cruise control is an absolute must. I don't mean that in a "It drives itself you can play on your phone!" way. More so you can use all your attention to watch out for the idiots texting while the vehicle keeps its lane and maintains proper following distance.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I dont like the steering and brakes doing stuff on its own.

Agreed, same as traction control and skid control.

In defensive driving courses I’ve taken, the skid control and traction control was a hindrance and put me into skids when going through cones at high speeds. With it off, I was a lot faster and smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Agreed, same as traction control and skid control.

In defensive driving courses I’ve taken, the skid control and traction control was a hindrance and put me into skids when going through cones at high speeds. With it off, I was a lot faster and smoother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one time it saved me, but most the time i dont like it either and turn it off.

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you're buying any new vehicle some type of automated steering and cruise control is an absolute must. I don't mean that in a "It drives itself you can play on your phone!" way. More so you can use all your attention to watch out for the idiots texting while the vehicle keeps its lane and maintains proper following distance.
A must ? How to add to the crappy driver numbers ! If you truly believe you “need” cruise control and lane control to be safe on the road to you and others ……. Stay home . Or take some driving lessons. I use cruise control , lane control is probably a good thing , but to say it’s a “ must“ , not hardly. If your lane control device is alerting you steadily , take the bus .

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A must ? How to add to the crappy driver numbers ! If you truly believe you “need” cruise control and lane control to be safe on the road to you and others ……. Stay home . Or take some driving lessons. I use cruise control , lane control is probably a good thing , but to say it’s a “ must“ , not hardly. If your lane control device is alerting you steadily , take the bus .
When you go to sell a 2022 vehicle in 2028 and it doesn't have autosteer/adaptive cruise what do you think happens to the resale value? I'm talking more about systems like Autopilot, Supercruise, Bluecruise, and ProPilot. They are as significant to driving as GPS auto steer was and is to farming today.

Top Bottom