Hot tubs

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m tub shopping. Kijiji is full of used ones. Most say barely used. Is new worth it ?
Im sure some on here have had many tubs. Any advise for first time buyer ?

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My thoughts:

1) Don't buy foam filled, make fixing and finding all the leaks it will have that much harder.
2) Expect to dump some cash into pumps/packs etc. on anything older than 7-8 years, seem to be the life expectancy in my experience.
3) Don't buy one with the fancy shapes and pop up speakers, makes cover expensive and you will need a new cover every few years.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
a leaking tub the foam will retain water for a long time

stay away from the heavy tubs

rhody605

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got mine for $800 had new pumps already. Working great for several years now. I wouldn't buy a new one. Saved so much. With wiring and gas to haul it I think I'm into it for $1500. Soon I will change out the surround and the cover.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bought a used one from hot tub place, all gone through and came with 90 day warranty, paid 2000

Had it 3 winters now, only had to replace cover, it wasn't in great shape when we bought it

armascott

Armaguard
Reaction score
Lots of good used deals, I bought a used Arctic Spa tub that was 3 years old. I have had it seven years now I've had to replace the cover a few times and a couple parts including the pump and I'm still not even close to the money spent if I had bought new at the time. As mentioned above keep it simple, all the bling stuff breaks and cost money to fix. When looking at a used one make you see full of water and running. Open up all the compartments check around the output shaft on the pump for leaks etc.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We bought a new beachcomber 3 years ago. Cover is holding up but has issues with the lights. Had it checked a few times but it's not really that big of a deal

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Use aerospace 303 on your hot tub vinyl cover 3-4 times per year. My dads neighbor in AZ his cover is 20 years old and looks mint. It’s the bees knees.

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My advise is not to buy one at all lol! Everyone I know myself included that had one doesn’t anymore due to cost of ownership vs amount actually used. Like most people we used it a lot the first year then the novelty wears off and it just becomes another chore. That being said buy a decent used one and when or if u want out of it it’s not such a big loss. Maxx spas seem to be good quality for the price.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used is the way to good you if you are patient.

You want a beachcomber or an artic spa.
Stay away from everything else.

FastFarmer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The hot tub show is this weekend at the Expo Center...everything one and everything should be there

Dooitorbust

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree. My current tub is a Dynasty and it’s given me a pile of grief. This year is the best it’s ever been, but given my time back, I would have NEVER bought it.

DO NOT buy dynasty spa!
Total junk and dealer in RD is useless

My first tub was a Beachcomber and it was virtually flawless for the 8 years I owned it. I liked the fact that all of the pumps, heater and wiring could easily be removed in the event of a problem.

My dad has owned an Arctic Spa for 10+ years and it’s been the same. Great tub.

Used is the way to good you if you are patient.

You want a beachcomber or an artic spa.
Stay away from everything else.

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My advise is not to buy one at all lol! Everyone I know myself included that had one doesn’t anymore due to cost of ownership vs amount actually used. Like most people we used it a lot the first year then the novelty wears off and it just becomes another chore. That being said buy a decent used one and when or if u want out of it it’s not such a big loss. Maxx spas seem to be good quality for the price.

This I agree with. We bought a house with one. Used it lots at first and it slowly turned into never. Last year I had it we never even went in it once.
Sold it for $1000 after replacing everything over the few years prior for $1200.
Man I’m glad I never had the original purchase price of that tub.
Buy used see how you like it over a few years. And then if your still crazy about buy and new one.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have had hot tubs at 3 different places over the last 20 years.

Currently have a sun ray from a shop in Edmonton. In the last 8 years replaced 2 pump seals and the circuit board

As for use it’s used everyday or twice a day.

Our next tub with be Arctic Spas the new one they make that uses salt

Summit 934

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a re-furbished Arctic Spa from the dealer in Lethbridge. They installed all new jets and added 6 more for me, comes with new cover, cabinet restained, new heater etc etc, and warranty. If I upgrade to a new one within a year they’ll give me back the full price and overall was no more expensive than buying private. Made in AB for this climate was a big selling point for me.

Top Bottom