Horse Rescue up the Renshaw

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score
They weren't dropped off at spindrift powersports. Not to my knowledge anyways.. I thought that they were going to be but they never showed up here..

Oh okay, thanks Glen...I'll wait to hear then who picked them up instead of me, so I could track them!

laserRob

Reaction score
For protection of the horses, and those fostering them, I certainly understand why we'll see no pictures until 'loose' ends are taken care of.

Hats off to those fighting on their behalf!!!

Rob

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
HTML:
http://www.dose.ca/news/story.html?id=1144892

Interesting quote from the SPCA in this matter:

The B.C. SPCA will be recommending charges against Frank Mackay, the horses' owner, when it submits its report to the Crown in mid-January.

"What we're looking at is determining whether the animals and the treatment they got meets an offence," said Shawn Eccles, chief animal protection officer. "It is our intent to put together the report and recommend charges, absolutely."

It appears to be that the SPCA's mind is made up - prior to them completing their investigation in the matter. Just another example of the "animal rights" industry of charging ahead without taking account due process or the legal ramifications of their actions.

So, I would think that the first step of the SPCA (before announcing to the public at large that charges would be recommended against Mr. MacKay) would be to actually complete the process of determining whether the actions of Mr. Mackay constitute an "offence" under the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act (R.S.B.C 1996). Mr. Eccles comments appear to support the fact that the SPCA has skipped this critical step in their apparent enthusiasm for wanting to proceed with a conviction in this matter.

The "charging" section of the B.C Act is subsection 24(2), which provides for an offence if "A person responsible for an animal ... causes or permits the animal to be or to continue to be in distress" This is a "strict liability" offence - in that the "mens rea" or intention of the person in causing the distress need not be determined, but only if an offence occurred. It is a "strict liability" in this instance as subsection 24(2) of the BB Act provides that 24(1) does not apply if "the distress results from an activity that is carried on in accordance with reasonable and generally accepted practices of animal management". So even if "distress" of the animals has been determined at law, it is not an offence if the provisions of subsection 24(2) are met.

I would have no problem if Mr. Eccles (as apparent spokesman for the SPCA) had stated that as "a result of the SPCA's investigation" charges were being recommended against Mr. Mackay to the Crown Prosecutor. . However - his statements are inconsistent with that fact. (Strikingly similar to the "inconsistent statements" which the Matlock's on this forum have attributed to the statements of Mr. MacKay).

Nemo judex in causa sua debet esse. For the non-latin Matlock types that refers to a judicial doctrine known as "reasonable apprehension of bias" Or in the words of the Supreme Court of Canada "As a general principle, this is not permitted in law because the taint of bias would destroy the integrity of proceedings conducted in such a manner".

But I guess that would be too much to ask for in this situation.

RockyMtn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well one thing seems certain for sure! If Mackay's not up for defending himself, maybe barefoot is up for hire!!..:cool:

Seems to know his Chit!!!!......;)

CHEERS!!!!
:cool::beer::beer::cool:

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sara, Lester called me a few days ago and told me he had them. Maybe check with him or Dave.

Can someone please confirm that the horses have received the donation from Bioniche??

Honestly this is very disappointing from my perspective as the donation was made prior to Christmas and was in McBride on 24 December 2008. Each of those products would have provided a tremendous immediate relief and health benefit for those malnourished horses. $400 of pharmacueticals was made available from myself with the understanding that it was to be made available to these horses immediately - not misplaced!

Falling Star

Reaction score
Can someone please confirm that the horses have received the donation from Bioniche??

Honestly this is very disappointing from my perspective as the donation was made prior to Christmas and was in McBride on 24 December 2008. Each of those products would have provided a tremendous immediate relief and health benefit for those malnourished horses. $400 of pharmacueticals was made available from myself with the understanding that it was to be made available to these horses immediately - not misplaced!

I understand your disappointment.
They were taken to Prince George today. That's all I know.

Falling Star

Reaction score
This ad ran in the Jan. 7 issue of the Valley Sentinel.

Attachments

• 01.07.09 FallingStar 3x9.pdf
    381 KB · Views: 168

KootenayChick

Reaction score
It appears to be that the SPCA's mind is made up - prior to them completing their investigation in the matter. Just another example of the "animal rights" industry of charging ahead without taking account due process or the legal ramifications of their actions.

Nemo judex in causa sua debet esse. For the non-latin Matlock types that refers to a judicial doctrine known as "reasonable apprehension of bias" Or in the words of the Supreme Court of Canada "As a general principle, this is not permitted in law because the taint of bias would destroy the integrity of proceedings conducted in such a manner".

But I guess that would be too much to ask for in this situation.

I'm sorry to say this... but what a load of crap. Mackay's own words and actions have sunk him. He's an idiot... not the BC SPCA or their representatives.

Out of respect for all the hardworking sledders and people of McBride I refuse to demean their efforts by granting this idiot the "benefit of the doubt". ESPECIALLY since he's made such STUPID statements himself.

Falling Star

Reaction score
Coverage in the Fitzhugh, Jasper

The Fitzhugh, Jasper, Jan. 8, 2009 - Equine examination
The Fitzhugh, Jasper, Jan. 8, 2009 - Editorial

Sara Olofsson

Reaction score

I understand that you feel disappointed, and as you mentioned they arrived on December 24, and that was when I was contacted. I told the fellow who kindly delivered them that I would arrange to pick them up when I got back to town. The horses were here at that time. When I contacted a member of the household where the supplements were at, I was told that they had already been picked up, and that the horses had been hauled to Prince George. I contacted various people to try and ascertain where the supplements had gone, and was advised that a local helper had them and that they were on route to Prince George that day.
This person is a reliable and respected local that was involved in helping out those horses, and would ensure they arrived at the SPCA.

It is hard to control situations where everyone is trying to help out. And I'm sure that the person who picked them up before I was able to, meant well.
Those supplements are not misplaced. They are with the horses and their caretaker, perhaps a few days late, that's all. I'm sure the person who picked them up didn't realize which day the horses would be hauled away.

There were tons of people helping out, many that were giving up their personal time, and it was the Christmas holidays. We did the best we could, and the end result is you still get credit for the donation, and the horses have the supplements as planned.

I hope that can be the focus here.

Saigo

Reaction score
His language certainly speaks volumes, as to what kind of person he is. He's invested $30,000 into these horses????? If that was the case you would think he would have made a bigger effort to get them out.

Sorry Mr. MacKay I don't believe a word of what you are saying.

Falling Star

Reaction score
His language certainly speaks volumes, as to what kind of person he is. He's invested $30,000 into these horses????? If that was the case you would think he would have made a bigger effort to get them out.

Sorry Mr. MacKay I don't believe a word of what you are saying.

I don't know how a 3-year-old horse that he bought for $300 can be worth $30,000. Unless he boards it at a really fancy barn, which he doesn't. He is full of BS.

Top Bottom