Hornet boats

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
56CED55E-43FC-4737-AF9B-841CD7689EBD.jpeg
D3553D2A-E42E-4179-9C4D-12B8F9768522.jpeg

Seen these at the boat show. Being built in Westlock. Seadoo engine up to 300 hp. Electronic stomp grate, air ride seats. For a mini it looks pretty neat. What do the experts think?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good. Given current boat prices and fuel costs I think they will sell a pile of them.

I'd be curious to know what the bottom looks like though, their brochure shows a pretty agressive variable deadrise, the back end might be a little skidish if it doesn't have a lot of strakes.

Look forward to seeing one on the water.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looked at it pretty close. Really nice boat. Has lots of nice stuff on it. Pretty neat way they hold the uhmw on. It’s a 14deg so will stay on the water pretty good. If I were into the market for a mini this is the one I’d consider. Build quality is better then most of the guys that build the Bratt jet kits and put their names on them.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize BRP ditched the 1503 in the seadoos and went all in on the 1630.

That 170hp version might make for a nice hunting boat then, N/A with higher compression would likely sip the fuel, that 100 liter fuel tank would take a guy a long way. Not that the supercharged versions are that hard on fuel though.

catalac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Holly crap $72-75k for a mini boat did that include a trailer?

Chrisco

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As Neil said we looked it over pretty hard beautiful boat and fit and finish. This is defiantly a high end mini and I would take this over a 50k hack job like a lot of the rest. 10 out of 10 for me.

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So for you guys in the know, if it’s a shallow water boat why does it have a 14 degree hull ? We had a firefish hammerhead and it was 8 . I realize it’s not the same ,just wondering.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Really they are 2 totally different beasts, a big 8 degree firefish has much lazier handling and really skids or even spins when cornering hard, a 14 degree mini cuts in while turning and in comparison turns on a dime. If a mini is built light it can run as shallow as an 8 degree, but the 8 degree will do it at a slower speed.

Part of it has to do with width, if your chines are 4" above the delta pad, on a 4' 6" wide mini that would mean about a 14 degree deadrise, on a 7' wide fullsize boat that would be closer to an 8 degree deadrise.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So for you guys in the know, if it’s a shallow water boat why does it have a 14 degree hull ? We had a firefish hammerhead and it was 8 . I realize it’s not the same ,just wondering.

It will run shallow but they usually need more speed to do so just because of the surface area or lack of it. This one was pretty wide at the pump so I’d think it’s would run good and shallow. I think if a mini was a 8deg it wouldn’t stay on the water in a corner

NeilV

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to go for a ride in their prototype at the lake last year. Looked like it was very well built. Lots of nice features. Maybe a little over the top for what lots of people want from a mini, but it sounded like they would build it for you however you wanted. Could go without all the fancy stuff and save a decent amount and still have a mini with a brand new power pack, with warranty. Had the 250hp total in it. Very impressive little boat. Four big guys in it and it was on step in no more than a couple boat lengths. Way better than our old piranha. 4 guys in that thing and it was close to a 1/4 mile before it was out of the water!
IMG_4612.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got to go for a ride in their prototype at the lake last year. Looked like it was very well built. Lots of nice features. Maybe a little over the top for what lots of people want from a mini, but it sounded like they would build it for you however you wanted. Could go without all the fancy stuff and save a decent amount and still have a mini with a brand new power pack, with warranty. Had the 250hp total in it. Very impressive little boat. Four big guys in it and it was on step in no more than a couple boat lengths. Way better than our old piranha. 4 guys in that thing and it was close to a 1/4 mile before it was out of the water!
View attachment 254123
View attachment 254124

You impeller was pooched in that pirahna!

fynnigan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what are the thoughts on the pump ? Been out of the game for a few years . We had a v8 piranha with a 3 stage and a hammerhead with a Scott 852 . 3 stage was more efficient than the Scott but wouldn’t take the abuse. Impellers and nozzles can be a worse headache than helixes and spring rates lol

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So what are the thoughts on the pump ? Been out of the game for a few years . We had a v8 piranha with a 3 stage and a hammerhead with a Scott 852 . 3 stage was more efficient than the Scott but wouldn’t take the abuse. Impellers and nozzles can be a worse headache than helixes and spring rates lol

That’s my biggest issue with the boat is the rotax pump. It’s weak imo. I know lots of guys like it and will probably receive some slack but it has no business being in a shallow water boat. The impeller is small and thin blades, the smallest issue becomes big because of how fast it spins. If it’s kept in clean water it does work good just not meant for trash. This is the PPI pump so it “upgraded” from the rotax pump, but without a calliper in your hand measuring you wouldn’t be able to tell it and a normal rotax impeller. Maybe if you could put a scott pump on that motor then it would be better
IMG_0229.jpg

That’s a PPI up against a sport jet.
IMG_0292.jpg

Sport jet against a Hamilton vs a scott 912 just for comparison

Top Bottom