Honing Nakasil Cylinders

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
typically when i rebuild skidoo engines they have damaged cylinders so this isnt an issue. However i took one apart for a friend and the cylinder is in perfect shape so we just want to freshen up the top end.

Doing some research some guys are saying dont hone the Nakasil cylinders just clean them with scotchbrite and some are saying yes thats fine to hone them.

Thoughts? Motts said they do hone them. i trust their opinion but still looking for input.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've only ever used a scotchbrite pad to deglaze the cylinder with no issues. If the nikasil was flaking/chipping off then it should be sent out and replated.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You don't hone nickasil, if cylinder has damage you can catch a finger nail on send it to a repair center. I highly recommend Mongoose machine in Vancouver

TDR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sean you can hone them but it has to be with a diamond hone not a ball hone. Also it must be a very light hone because the nikisil is very thin. Otherwise if the original hone still looks good search the net as there is a specific color scotch pad to use but I don’t recall which one. Either works but obviously honing has some risks if the person doing it isn’t careful.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
sean you can hone them but it has to be with a diamond hone not a ball hone. Also it must be a very light hone because the nikisil is very thin. Otherwise if the original hone still looks good search the net as there is a specific color scotch pad to use but i don’t recall which one. Either works but obviously honing has some risks if the person doing it isn’t careful.

exactly what tdr says ^^^^^

Frankenytro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scotchbrite and hot water with grease cutting dish soap mixed in. The crosshatch will come right back to life and be ready for another couple thousand boosted Km’s. As said above only ever hone when the plating has been redone.

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
white scotch brite can be used on Babbitt bearing surfaces and leaves no debris behind. ATF/Varsol mix to lube.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm in the no hone camp. If there's no damage, your last set of rings have finished those cylinders to a more optimal state. Done this many times and strong motors were the result.

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sean you can hone them but it has to be with a diamond hone not a ball hone. Also it must be a very light hone because the nikisil is very thin. Otherwise if the original hone still looks good search the net as there is a specific color scotch pad to use but I don’t recall which one. Either works but obviously honing has some risks if the person doing it isn’t careful.
agree

Rotax_Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I won't hone a nikasil. Sometimes it's a bit thinner than others and I wouldn't take the risk of honing it right off unless you go into this expecting worst case - your going to replate anyways

Jorg Jorgenson

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’ve had Tom hone many cylinders for me over the years! Never an issue! If it’s a high miler I’d do it.

Tom at Mott’s has done three Pro 800 engines for us (insert Polaris joke here) and has always treated us well and knows his stuff. I’d trust his judgement. When I pulled my last engine apart to re-built (by choice, not from DET) they did a light hone even though there was not much for scarring present on the cylinder walls. Just freshened it up

catrutt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are different hone stones as well fine /corse, also makes a difference if the stone has been used or not as to how rough it is on the cylinder. I would say a fine used stone with light spring pressure would be good or stotch brite

Top Bottom