Help Purchasing New Quad!

MACHINE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Whatever you purchase take your time, their is still a lot of leftover's at some dealers , I just pick up a Suzuki Eiger 400 for my wife a brand new leftover unit 2007 she seems to like it a lot anyway that my 2 cents , have a good one everyone.:cool:

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my family owns nothing but polaris atv's. we have 2 sportsman 500's one 550 and a 850.
if you want a good reliable machine then my vote it for a 500 sportsman, not a huge amount of power but there is plenty do what ever you want, they ride awesome, tons of storage with the front storage box and they double really good if you add a rear set on it. i have lots of friends that ride just about every other make so i will give my 2 cents. The kawi 650's and 750's are good machines and i probaly would buy one but i hate the idea of having to pull a lever for the diff lock and we have spent countless hours sitting and waiting cause they over heat really easly( just have to relocate it to your front rack). but they area fast and nimble machine. The can ams are also a good machine but i dont like there diff lock either. my uncle has his in the shop many times cause it dosnt work, but other than that they have lots of power and i know for a fact the can am 650 2 up will beat a 750 brute in a heads up race. Yamaha, the grizzlys from what i have seen are good machines, they have a real diff lock and they seam to be a reliable machine. they dont tend to over heat from what i see. Susuki, from what i have seen with the king quads they are very relible, but my bigest problem is the lowered rev limiter when the diff lock is engaged. they are fast, good power and we never did have any over heating issuses. And last is artic cat. my opinion of the cat is not a very good one. to me the cat seams like very cheaply made machine.(just my 2 cents dont hate me.) To me its the way they look that give me that opinion. i have only ever ridin with one so i dont know much but i know the guy that owns it has had lots of problems.
I hope this helps you with your search. just remember to each his own, go to the dealer and test drive and see witch one suits you the best.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
please post what the problem was once it is fixed , buddy had same problem wit his 660 grizzly but it just needed a good rad cleaning then was ok

No coolant in the rad and has no leaks.
Martin Farm just did his first service,then he went riding at it overheated.

I think I would go and question the work done.

wellluck

Reaction score
I think on the reliability side you can't beat a Honda. I also think as a quad 4x4in in the mud they all out perform a Honda. Wouldn't buy one for that reason.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 86 Polaris 250 Trike, same belt 12 yrs, then a used 99 Grizzley with -12,000 kms, no problems, My sons have Grizzleys, go anywhere,ride smooth.no shifting,.
I have 2 Kodiaks nows, 6600 on the 03 and 5500 on the 05, same belts.

Buy Yamaha. But thats just my opinion,

few freinds tryed mud riding the Big Hondas, too heavy and oil driven automatic wont take the serious mud running.

But if Money is not a issue, try a Polaris Razr....wonderful ride, my son uses it now rather than the Grizzley.Goes Dam near as many places and safer for my grand daughter.has a race car seat belt harness . I rode it in all day last Saturday.nice ride on my sore back.

408stroker5.0

Reaction score
Thanx for all the comments! I've done a bit more research and have easily come to the conclusion that the Honda won't satisfy my need's especially when it come's right down to power. CanAm is lookin good at the moment, I've driven them before and loved them instantly...still doing a bit of readin up on the new ACat 1000 etc.

ICANAM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been riding my Canam 0uty 800 for a couple years now and I will never buy another machine. This thing has tons of power, it rides extremely smooth at high speeds and it handles like it is half it's weight. It hasn't had very many "nice" miles put on it and it doesn't miss a beat. I have spent countless hours doubling with my girlfriend on it and the only complaint is that the engine puts out alot of heat (not overheating, just hot on the legs), but that is expected on hot days, travelling slow, with a big machine. The cons to this quad: When mudding without snorkles, you will probably get water in the belt housing and slip the belt. If the display says "limp home mode", that probably means that a sensor has detected some moisture or an airflow restriction, it is nothing to be alarmed of though, (at least in the few cases that this has happened to me), I just shut the quad down and check the air filter for water. If there's no water in the air box then there should be nothing to worry about. And on my quad, the trailing arm fastener nuts came slightly loose and the dealer fixed that up on warranty. Oh and the warranty is awesome. Can't go wrong with a 3 year warranty. The only thing I would do is install a snorkle kit and upgrade the tires if you're planning on sinking it in the mud. Good luck shopping.:beer:

09 650 xt

Reaction score
Can am all the way the power the 650 puts out is too perfect they make a 2 up version that has a 9 in longer wheel base, thousand or so bucks more but I ride the single version i'm almost 200lbs and i ride someone almost 200lbs on the back and we don't even touch each other. Rack is in perfect spot for hands and a small foam cushion from the handle bars of a bicycle on the rear rack makes the perfect bump stop rather than the bar when i try to buck him off :PDT_bud:
Service guy is awesome replaced battery at 10 hrs free cause I killed it ;) and at $8600 i got a winch better tires than any stock atv a hitch brush guards power port (to charge my phone) State Plow pully and mount cause i love the snow :tree1: Even a nice grizzly left over is gonna cost u $9000 or at least 8000 for a brute force
Go CAN AM

scottsrdscott

Reaction score
I just took my new King Quad 750 out for its maiden quadding trip over May long and I was completely happy with it. Lot's of power. Did great on the trails and in the mud with the Zillas I put on it. Does good in relatively deep water with no water in the engine or cvt casing.

I originally had my eye on the Grizz 700 because my last quad was a Yamaha and I was happy with it. I ended up test driving both the Grizz and King Quad and I just liked how the King felt more.

The only problem you may encounter with the King is the gas cap location. It is near the back of the seat and on the left side and if you put a monster box with a seat to haul the wifey around, the box may sit slightly over the cap and that may be a pain when fueling.

If you look into this issue and find it won't be a problem, I would strongly suggest looking into a King. I just love that thing.:d

slednk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
honda has never let us down and it gets abused pretty good, but it doesnt ride like a caddy, but a hard day in the pit only got to fill up once

t-bomb

Reaction score
Power stering, v-twin, IRS with the best warrenty. then I would look at price and weight.

allykat

Reaction score
Hey Everybody,

I'm new here and been following this post. I've been in the two wheel world for awhile now and sold my bikes. I'm also on the hunt for an atv. I thought I had it narrowed down to polaris sportsman or a honda rincon. Don't think I will be hitting the trails like I used to with the bikes but my major use for the atv will be pushing lots of Iowa snow and hunting. I like the independent suspension. Any suggestions.:confused:

Top Bottom