Help please :) '06 summit 1000

dj913

Reaction score
Hey guys, Hopefully someone has the answer or guidance i am looking for :)

yesterday i was out banging around in some fields for about an hour, and on the trip back to the truck my sled all of a sudden lost all power, i was at about 6000 rpm, the sled completely shut down and i rolled to a stop. so i turned it over and sounded like i fouled a plug, so i replaced it. now when i started it up again it would not stay running on its own, it ran fine once i got going, but if i was to stop and let it idle it would go below 1000rpm and shut my headlights off, then once around 800 rpm the sled would shut down again. any idea of what it could be? i ride a 2006 summit 1k, with a new stator and battery. maybe it could be the capacitor? Help :confused:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hey guys, hopefully someone has the answer or guidance i am looking for :)

yesterday i was out banging around in some fields for about an hour, and on the trip back to the truck my sled all of a sudden lost all power, i was at about 6000 rpm, the sled completely shut down and i rolled to a stop. So i turned it over and sounded like i fouled a plug, so i replaced it. Now when i started it up again it would not stay running on its own, it ran fine once i got going, but if i was to stop and let it idle it would go below 1000rpm and shut my headlights off, then once around 800 rpm the sled would shut down again. Any idea of what it could be? I ride a 2006 summit 1k, with a new stator and battery. Maybe it could be the capacitor? Help :confused:

have you tested the fuel pressure? Why was the stator replaced???

dj913

Reaction score
no i havent checked the fuel pressure yet, not really sure how to go about doing that. and the stator was replaced because they mechanic i took it too last year just made up stories of what was wrong with it and he decided to put a new stator in it. when i believe the old one was fine.

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
no i havent checked the fuel pressure yet, not really sure how to go about doing that. And the stator was replaced because they mechanic i took it too last year just made up stories of what was wrong with it and he decided to put a new stator in it. When i believe the old one was fine.

hmmmm, stators not very common on the 1000rt...... Sounded more like a battery problem at that time maybe?

Fuel pump and injection system relays(3 or 4 relays inside the fuse box) are real common problems. You might replace all the relays in there(i replace mine every 2 years, as preventive maintenance). Weak relays, will kick out and cause driveability problems too. I still suspect possible fuel problem, but you need to test the fuel pressures first......

dj913

Reaction score
i just replaced all my relays on saturday, ive only put 6 hours on since then... how would i test my fuel pressure? ive had this sled for just over a year now, but ive only put on 38 ish hours, due to my last mechanic. im sure ive made more progress on my machine then he did in the 10 months he had it IMO

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
You need a fuel pressure guage........ You might take the fuel filter off and try blowing through it first...... Most owners don't even know there is one, and it should be replaced every year........ They're about $77.00 from the dealer, but you can get one from napa or canadian tire that should work....... The canadian tire fuel filter # is posted on another 1000rt thread i think under the "ski-doo" forum.

trailrider

Reaction score
If you want test fuel pressure you need to take off the plastic from under the gas cap and up. I removed the fuel filter and inserted a T connecter that came with the pressure gauge, picked it up at CT for about $50 handy little kit it can be used on all vehicles. Your pressure should be 58-62psi continuous. I just went though this on my 05 RT. Look under Skidoo topics 05 RT fuel problems. lots of tips from lots of members in there. Trailrider

dj913

Reaction score
i couldnt find a fuel pressure tester at canadian tire or princess auto, so all i grabbed was a fuel filter thus far, i figure i might as well change it anyways. hopefully greggs or napa will have a tester

dj913

Reaction score
went over to greggs and got a guy to just build me one. cheap cheap, 18 bucks. i just got back from testing and the high pressure pump is working a good 60 psi, but i dont know how to check the low pressure one? i did check the voltage at my battery... and it is sitting at 11 before starting, but what i dont understand is why it would just randomly shut down while riding it. i can start it and run fine, just the idle is still not there... could that just be the battery?

trailrider

Reaction score
went over to greggs and got a guy to just build me one. cheap cheap, 18 bucks. i just got back from testing and the high pressure pump is working a good 60 psi, but i dont know how to check the low pressure one? i did check the voltage at my battery... and it is sitting at 11 before starting, but what i dont understand is why it would just randomly shut down while riding it. i can start it and run fine, just the idle is still not there... could that just be the battery?

I would try to charge the battery, or replace it it should be over 12 volts. This is a common problem with the RT's, I have replaced mine every year so far . Trailrider

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with trailrider, the battery needs to be over 12 for sure, I had a slight problem with mine and changed out battery and works good now. Just bring battery to ct and they will test for free...

Summitric

Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
i would try to charge the battery, or replace it it should be over 12 volts. This is a common problem with the rt's, i have replaced mine every year so far . Trailrider

yup, i've replaced mine every year too....... Keep the old one in the trailer for the "just in case" ........ They are very critical for the minimum 12 volt power!!!

dj913

Reaction score
okay ill have to try that first thing in the morning becuase i would really love to get it out again this weekend, ive been really slow with work this week which is kind of good gives me time to get to know my machine that much better, i can have it torn down to just the engine in about 20 minutes now lol. but what i dont understand is why would the battery need to be changed every year? isnt that what the charging system is for? to re-charge said battery?

HotShotHarry

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree-sounds like a low battery issue. The battery may be toast and not able to hold the charge or perhaps the engine is not putting out enough to properly re-charge the battery and run the sled at the same time. Check the battery ground wire and clean it to ensure proper grounding.

dj913

Reaction score
i replaced the battery, along with my relays, and its a new stator so it shuold have no problem charging. but still the same issue, i even went through the hassle of changing the low pressure pump this morning, wasnt fun lol. i honestly am stumped. would my piston rings have to do with anything with it not being able to make enough compression to keep it running? cause once im on the throttle it stays running :s

Top Bottom