Helmet LAW

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I would not mind, we always wear a lid.... so long as they don't make the law applicable on private property....

When I'm playing on the quad I wear a lid....

when I'm putting around the yard scooping dog crap, horse crap, laying landscape rock or laying out fencing I don't need some dipchit fining me for not wearing a helmet... in that situation my ATV is no different than my lawn tractor.....

youngpolarisguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL there is acutually a old guy in my subdivision that weres a helmet, safty glasses, and ear muffs on his lawn tractor.

RhinoWhino

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hope it becomes law too but that article is almost # years old:confused:

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is a law already, got the brocure this fall when re registering sleds. 250 bucks if i remember right. they have a brochure at registries with all the new laws on it.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Publish date: Nov 1, 2010
Two legislators in Alberta are planning to cross the aisle to propose bills to require helmets for ATV riders in the province, one of the last in Canada that still doesn’t require them.

Liberal Darshan Kang of Calgary-McCall and Conservative George Vanderberg of Whitecourt-Ste. Anne both plan to introduce measures during the current legislative session, according to CBC News.

The provincial transportation minister promised to introduce helmet legislation in 2008, but hasn’t yet.

According to the Alberta Centre for Injury Control and Research, 100 Albertans died in ATV accidents over a seven-year period. Sixty-five of them were not wearing a helmet, CBC News reported.

"The studies that have come out of the States where they have widely varying helmet legislation is that you can cut about 50 per cent of your fatalities every year if you institute helmet laws," Dr. Don Voaklander, the center's director, told the agency. "So it really can save a lot of deaths and major trauma."

Local off-road groups support the idea.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
it is a law already, got the brocure this fall when re registering sleds. 250 bucks if i remember right. they have a brochure at registries with all the new laws on it.

I was under the impression that was a parkland county bylaw thing.....

far as I know there is not any provincial legislation in place yet... (unless you are using the ATV/sled in the course of employment, then it is required under OH&S legislation)

A Liberal MLA is hoping to bring in a new law next week that will make helmets mandatory for all-terrain vehicle riders in Alberta.

Calgary-McCall MLA Darshan Kang will be introducing a motion in the Legislature on April 11 urging the Tory government to create a new law that forces all snowmobile and ATV riders to wear helmets on public and private land.

And Kang says it’s an important step since “helmets save lives.”

“This completely boggles my mind why we don’t have a mandatory helmet law,” said Kang.

“This is obviously the right thing to do because it also prevents further injuries. This will also cut down on costs to the health care system.”

Between 2002 and 2009, there were 113 ATV-related deaths, according to figures from the Alberta Centre for Injury Control and Research.

And 68% of those deaths involved riders who were not wearing helmets, according to the centre.

“Even one injury is one too many,” said Kang.

It’s the same call the Alberta Snowmobile Association has been making for the last 12 years, says its president, Darryl Copithorne.

Copithorne said the law would have prevented a few fatalities in the province during the beginning of the sledding season this year.

“We have been beating on this drum quite a lot,” said Copithorne. “And the message about the importance of wearing a helmet is not getting out there. It is among members of our association, but that only represents 10% of the snowmobile population in Alberta.”

Copithorne said the new helmet law should have a “significant penalty” to force riders to put on a helmet.

Kang said he expects his motion will get a lot of support since the province and Tory Whitecourt-Ste. Anne MLA George Vander Burg has said he is supportive of creating a mandatory helmet law.

Transportation Minister Luke Ouellette had promised to introduce helmet legislation in 2008, but the government has yet to hammer out a bill.

“How many more people have to die?,” said Kang. “How many more people have to be injured?”

jeff.cummings@sunmedia.ca

Last edited:

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wear a condom every time i go outside as i never no when i'm going to get fk.

sledderdoc

Super Senior Member
Reaction score
Hope it doesn't go thru .......... I wear one all the time except when I'm hunting!! Would still like that option.

This year Scotts has graciously offered to let me hunt bear on his property. Was thinking of wearing my indiana jones hat. :d

country_shorty88

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ff1EGEl3ROs[/YT]
Just Thought u like to know lol lawn tractors arent safe lol

Ryano

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just heard helmet's are not on the bill but talking on your cell phone while driveing your atv is :rolleyes:

quadboy55

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't bother me none, I always wear that bucket.

Maybe the ATV community could get a better name for itself if it practiced safety.

I highly doubt they will be standing on your property to catch you with out it though.

Photo radar for quading would be too far though. :nono:

Top Bottom