Happy Endings

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As with all happy endings, this one began with a tug and ended with a release...... in this case I am happy the steel hook went thru my tailgate rather than than my skull. The Release happened when one of two straps broke sending said hook to warp speed and entirely through my tailgate. Long story short, ask in advance that your Tug jobs do not involve steel hooks.........(yikes, thats a scary thought.):beer:

i will be dis owning this tow rope and buying one with loops only, and using soft shackles for hook on, and probably a ditch hitch too wouldn’t be a bad idea.

Links for some good quality ropes( Ie: not cheap) if u ever use a kinetic tow rope you know how good they are!!

https://yankum.com/kinetic-recover-ropes/

https://www.bubbarope.com/

https://ditchhitch.com/

Heres the aftermath and some pictures of safer equipment I should have used. Thats a soft shackle to connect two ropes, or onto a tow loop. Instead of a steel shackle.

25F20469-6DE2-4CCF-B113-D81247C6B3B2.jpg 38BB8407-52E3-491A-8197-EDB31460233B.jpeg
234E1289-9DE2-4315-9F73-A368E936A103.jpg B9A3CE92-BFFE-4CA8-A99D-C5D6C453DB4F.jpeg
EF79DB44-2970-44E3-8777-57CAE1D9D1A6.jpeg

snowcannon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you have to do to prevent this is hang a sweater or jacket over the tow rope. If the hook slips the weight of the sweater will diffuse the kinetic energy in the rope and cause it fall down instead of slamming the hook into your truck. Even more important when using a steel cable.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All you have to do to prevent this is hang a sweater or jacket over the tow rope. If the hook slips the weight of the sweater will diffuse the kinetic energy in the rope and cause it fall down instead of slamming the hook into your truck. Even more important when using a steel cable.
So you trust a sweater to protect a hook from going through your head or an end gate?

I will never use a steel hook on a chain to be pulled or pull anyone out.

If absolutely necessary I will use a clevis and it is way over rated for what I will use it for. I have seen on more than one occasion the after math of chains etc breaking.

I am glad it all turned out good in your situation Summit tree. You are very lucky.

Last edited:

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Scenario is this: 1 ton Buried up to bottom of doors in deep snow. My 1 ton hooked to him via my kinetic rope with steel hooks and his Nylon 3” tow strap with loops on each end. After about 6 good yanks, His strap snapped, sending The hook and remains of his strap toward me. We were back to back as he went in nose first. As we were trying to remove the rope from where it was now firmly embedded inside my tailgate, A tri-Axle logging truck showed up and pulled him out like nothing.

years ago Two employees where I worked were trying to extract a stuck skidsteer from a snowbank, using a Chain and pulling from the Ball of a hitch on a 1 ton flat deck. The Ball snapped off and went through the roof of the skid steer, peeled back 1/4” steel plate like a tin can. 10” lower would have been certain death for the guy in the skidsteer. Its no joke the Forces involved with pulling equipment!!

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
another reason I hate steel cables on winches for sxs and quads rope will not build up energy like cable just think about where your sitting when you pull someone out

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup thats the way to do a tug job correctly.
You put a line dampener in the middle of the yank line and if something does give way it will bind up in dampener and drop there in the middle of the pull.

Last edited:

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I always heard about putting a blanket or pair of coveralls over a winch line too. It makes sense, but check this video out, Even with a 5 or 10 lb bag of sand on the line (actually attached to the line) it still shot like a missile, I was surprised, but then again not, its an insanely powerful force when straps break!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M0-p_o91f7Y

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the vid, man those things fly through the air. Goin to stand WAY Back from now on. Only thing you still have no way of controlling **** flying through the air. Custom removal of some ones old rusty truck hitch or other parts. Would like to see a comparison with the coat or heavy tarp on strap that people have used.

Last edited:

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What's the story with that strange looking ball mount in your #1 post?
I assume you mean the Ball mount with a Shackle on it? Thats a tow point for hooking up a strap with loops to. Gives a good strong point for pulling from. Hitch Balls are not meant for extracting stuck vehicles, and when they break off, they become small Cannon Balls! Another good version is the Ditch hitch, as shown in the Videos. Nothing worth its salt is cheap though, and this isn’t a place to cheap out. Imagine that had been a steel hook instead of a sand bag that hit the back of that big John deere Tractor, that poor guy would likely be dead.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this is the one Im gonna try. In 30’ length. They offer a 50’ but its alot more! I was thinking if it was too long just double it up for a 25’ rope. Although after watching that video with the Dozer, 1 1/4” rope is Crazy overkill, since the Hitch can’t take anything close to 54K pounds. Lol. A 1” 30K rope should be plenty.

https://www.asroffroad.com/1-1-4-kinetic-recovery-rope-52-300-lb-mts-17-434-lb-wll/

Bernoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How much more is it? You be amazed how fast you use up 30ft of rope when you slide down a small bank.

Top Bottom