GTX 550 Fan has no spark

northlight

Reaction score
I have two 08 gtx 550 Fan. One will not start, no spark. Took coil off other and tried and still won't start. Not the coil. Lights work, and electric start works. What could it be and how do I troubleshoot it? :

northlight

Reaction score
I called the dealer today. It's a little complicated. They buy the machines, rent them for a season then sell them in March. Warrenty may be up depending on when they bought them, but he thinks it should be fine.

Another thing is he is 1000 miles away and nearest repair technician is 250 kms. He is guiding me through the troubleshoot to avoid having to ship it back. Today I checked the voltage regulator. Took it off and male connection was charred and smelled of burnt electrical. There was also some charring on the female plug around a couple of holes. Not sure if this is problem.

northlight

Reaction score
Bought off of rental company so warrenty was transferred. Still figuring out their warrenty start date. Only got 1 yr manufacture warrenty. Nearest technician is 250 kms so dealer trying to talk me through troubleshoot to save from shipping it to tech. Today I took off the voltage regulator and found that the connection has some charring and smell of burnt electrical. dealer suggested to check that.

Ancient Sledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's got to suck. I would guess it's in the stator-trigger coil ass'y, but that's just a guess. Hope you get it running soon and it doesn't cost a lot. Keep us posted. The more problems we find out about, the better off all of us are. Good Luck.

northlight

Reaction score
Dealer is sending me a voltage regulator. Says that is the only thing they've seen to cause no spark. Hope he's right.

northlight

Reaction score
Live in Eastern Canada. Voltage regulator did not work. Any idea what site I can find some instructions on how to check the kill switch. Wiring on right side is very lose to thumb warmer, hot grip and kill switch. Can I check it to see if that is not grounding out or something.

lloydhillier

Reaction score
I have a 2007 GTX and was out riding today and lost spark. A buddy of mine checked it out and found a wire broke going to the power pack. Not sure what wire it was but it was touching the black part of the frame. He unpluged one of the plugs on the power pack and made the repaires. Have a very close look at the wiring. I have also been having trouble with my speedo and tack reseting and also sometimes would not work at all. I will find out tomorrow if this problem has also been repaired.

Good luck.

Top Bottom