Gps

johndeereman346

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What do you guys have for a gps im looking for something thats easy to use and i can track with and save a ton of trails. I have looked and seen what some guys have buy theirs are basic im not afraid to spend a bit extra for ease of use

boots

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i just got the garmin etrex vista hcx .... it is easy to use and has a micro ds card slot so you can store lots....

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have ETrex Legend C. It's a few years old now but I like it, and I don't do much with it, basically track where I've been so I can get out later, and mark where we left the gas cans....

Actually I'm going to use it on a road trip starting after work today to track average speed.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about the garmin 60csx. They want like 450 at bass pro in ball sac

i have one of those they are great. waterproof but does not float. i remember seeing it for $350, but i forget where try other stores like canadian tire or walmart. a friend got the gpsmap 60cx it is color without some special functions, i remember they bought a couple in walmart in peace river around the $280 mark.
the newer ones is the colorado and oregon, one has touch screen and alot of other functions u dont need for regular use. its like $700-800
if you can afford it i recommend a mapping software called oiltrax. you can get it at discovergps in edmonton. the program is $175 with free updates. the program has all oil field roads. cutlines, pipelines, and wet areas. very handy for work or play.

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
i have one of those they are great. waterproof but does not float. i remember seeing it for $350, but i forget where try other stores like canadian tire or walmart. a friend got the gpsmap 60cx it is color without some special functions, i remember they bought a couple in walmart in peace river around the $280 mark.
the newer ones is the colorado and oregon, one has touch screen and alot of other functions u dont need for regular use. its like $700-800
if you can afford it i recommend a mapping software called oiltrax. you can get it at discovergps in edmonton. the program is $175 with free updates. the program has all oil field roads. cutlines, pipelines, and wet areas. very handy for work or play.

does it show logging roads?

dlj

Reaction score
I have the 76CSx, had the Etrex Vista before. The 76CSx has capability to expand memory, easy to use, it floats, can load maps, keeps tracks, etc. and reasonably priced. $ 289.95 from Garmin GPS, RAM Mounts, Tomtom GPS & Lowrance GPS Factory Authorized Dealer (GPSCity.ca). I was going to get the 60CSx but found the 76CSx cheaper and it does everything the 60CSx does.
I think it was about $ 20.00 for shipping and I had within two days.
Check out their web site they have online tech support and will answer your questions.

Showtime

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the Lowrance Ifinder Explorer and it's a piece of junk, i have it mounted on the handlebars of the sled with a ram mount & it's physically big, too many functions, easy to get lost it all the feature. I haven't been able to syncronize it with any google maps etc. Others i ride with have the Garmin Vista and they seem easier to work with.

bigz64

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
does it show logging roads?

logging roads are tricky, it will show the major routes. as for the smaller roads i would have to say no, because this program gets their map data from the government and those logging roads are temp. so the logging companies dont submit the roads to the government. it is really good in places like swan hills and wabasca, you will never get lost. the only place i found it it hit and miss is along the alberta/bc border near bear canyon.

m.mcrae

Reaction score
i have a garmin rino and love it. It is a gps with frfs radio. If any of your friends have it you can see where they are on your screen. Now all of our hunting and quadding buddies have them, have got separated several times and we have no problem finding them again. they start around $200 for the basic models, and can go up to 5 for the ones with all the bells and whistles. Mine is plain, and you can download all the topo maps, and forresty roads if you know someone who has the garmin topo maps. The cover all of north america, and can be bought at any gps store.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If any of your friends have it you can see where they are on your screen.

What kind of range does it have? That would be so cool to be able to find one another! Spent more then one time looking for somebody stuck in the trees!

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 60 CSX and Discover Canada topo maps and I was surprised at the detailed roads. It covers lease roads for oil field areas. Hears a sample of Alder Flats. Now this is a small pic theres ALOT more to Alder but it gives you an idea. Ive talked to the Garmin rep in the states and for the trails and accuracy the 60 is the way to go. At the Fishing Hole seems to be the better price at just around 400. The great thing is for the Garmins is say you want to go to Medi lake, I have made a pretty extensive trail map of the area, I email you the maps you download to your GPS and away you go. You can save them on the comp and you want to check out Ruby Falls, Vinca/Bruderheim, Medi Lake, Alder Flats/Camp 9, and so on I can email the maps and you can check them out and save them for another trip. The Discover Canada Topo maps you can check out at and buy at Discover GPS 6005 Gateway BLVD here in town. I cant remember the price but it does cover all Canada. It actually has some trails shown in the program too.

Attachments

• lastscan.jpg
    lastscan.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom