GPS/Satelite Phone

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what is a user friendly GPS which is mountain durable many people ride with them figure I'll add it to my saftey gear. Also do satellite phones give gps coordinates?

milton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey garmin rhino is i think is the best not just with gps location but it helps you with other rider locations. Its also a frs 2 way radio

skibeadoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Garmin 60 CS and 60 CSX, as far as sat phones I do not know much about them, Possibly look into the SPOT. This is a personal locating device that can alert people as to your status. I always take a personal locating device and two way radios for communication, cause you should never ride alone.

Have fun.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was wondering what is a user friendly GPS which is mountain durable many people ride with them figure I'll add it to my saftey gear. Also do satellite phones give gps coordinates?

Hi there canuck5 I have both.For gps I use Garmin Rino 530.It has built in frs radio but the best feature is that if your group of riders have same unit if you get lost from group their last coordinates when they used will be displayed on screen. You can set up to go to or set to show where all your buddies are on map.All sledders should have one.If you are going to purchase one of these radios it is a good idea to go through USA.Our Canada bought ones are only 2 watts as the american one is 5 watts.Greater transmitting difference.
As far as my Globalstar sat phone I have only used for phone calls.I have most helicopter companies programed in it.I have alot of buds that ride xp's so I made alot of heli calls last season.For those of you that think sat. air time cost to much on my plan I get unlimited minutes and no such thing as long distance for $75.00 a month.The only thing is phone is kind of costly at around 500.00 to 650.00.Your best bet for getting one is to do it over internet as I got hosed real bad by a dealer here in Calgary.He sold me used refurbished phone as new for 650.00. as new.When it quit working they told me I have to buy new one.After that got on net and found out I could get new one with warrenty for 550.00 I was furious.After getting a hold of Globalstar and complaining about crooked dealer they sent me a brand new phone.Great company to deal with.Just my opinion.If you need any help feel free to pm me.

Cheers,
Dave

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I also have a Garmin 520,American version.Same as 530 without the electronic compass and I think it is is the best one for sledders as mentioned above.I was told the electronic compass uses a little extra battery than the one without so went with the one without.
Also has a large capacity for memory!
catmando!

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I use the Garmin 60 CS and 60 CSX, as far as sat phones I do not know much about them, Possibly look into the SPOT. This is a personal locating device that can alert people as to your status. I always take a personal locating device and two way radios for communication, cause you should never ride alone.

Have fun.

Hi there skibeadoo,
In the past and probaly into the future I do ride alone.That is why I have gps and sat phone.I am such an addict that if I can't find someone to I go by myself.I have meet a lot of new people this way and if I waited for the buds I would have never got 4500 miles last season.As of my Nov.06-12 trip this month I will not miss a weekend till June.Christmas I ride the 19th till24th and then 26th till second week in Jan.I know I have a problem but will try harder to sled more this season.
Cheers,
Dave

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Damagedgoods thanks for the response glad to see a fellow sledhead who enjoys it as much as I do, and the Dig on the XP's made me smile. Probably get similar set up as you as thats what i'm lookin for.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is a couple of pictures of a handlebar mount modified to mount on dash.I have 4 days of hard riding on my sled this season already and have had no problems with the mount.I did add a safety teather just in case it comes off base. Last season I carried it in my pocket it still did every thing it was supposed to just a pain to have to dig out anytime I wanted to use.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• Frisby Nov. 09 2008 011.jpg
    Frisby Nov. 09 2008 011.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Frisby Nov. 09 2008 010.jpg
    Frisby Nov. 09 2008 010.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 43

karbz700

Reaction score
I have a globstar sat phone. Wouldnt ride without. Cheap insurance i'd say. If you ride with a group just get everyone to chip in on the initial cost of the phone. It does give you gps coordinates.

BEGA

Reaction score
I have a globstar sat phone. Wouldnt ride without. Cheap insurance i'd say. If you ride with a group just get everyone to chip in on the initial cost of the phone. It does give you gps coordinates.

Have you tried getting reception with your Globalstar phone lately? when you call them they admit it is very spotty, when I complained about the service they agreed there is a problem and I don't even pay the monthly fee anymore just the minutes......if I ever actually get out with it. At this point I would not count on this particular Sat provider for any safety assurance!! They did however mention that they were activating other Satellites by the end of 08.

Sleeper700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would recommend looking at Motorola Iridium Satellite phones instead of Globalstar. The coverage is much better (The satellite network was first used by the US Military). I am unsure of the cost difference, and if Globalstar does put up some new birds to replace all of the ones that have deteriorated, then Globalstar might become a reliable phone again.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure if this is related but it never hurts to ask,Ive been looking at these Spot trackers for a while now and was wondering what satelites do these track from,Are they the same as Globalstar or do they work off everybodies sats?I know a couple guys who have them,one in particular who has let me track them a bit,works real good so far,will find out this weekend how good in the back country.But it would be good info to find out there source for satelites.If they work in the backcountry as good as they do in a certain Northern Community,I will have one soon.
Thanks Rusty!
catmando!

BEGA

Reaction score
I would recommend looking at Motorola Iridium Satellite phones instead of Globalstar. The coverage is much better (The satellite network was first used by the US Military). I am unsure of the cost difference, and if Globalstar does put up some new birds to replace all of the ones that have deteriorated, then Globalstar might become a reliable phone again.

So I looked into Iridium and they are a lot better, funny though because 2 yrs ago they were almost bankrupt!! Anyway if you have a Globalstar phone you can trade it into them and get a few bucks off the new one and a discount on the monthly fee.

Talked to Calvin at Williams Wireless in Edmonton and he was quite helpful

AlpineBC

Reaction score
You cant go wrong with the SPOT. I got one for my hunting trips and will take sledding this year. Works excellent. Its worked everytime I used it, that includes 14 day sheep hunt which was 200 kms from Fort Nelson in the middle of no where. Ive had nothing but problems with a buddys Global Star Sat phone, definatly Would not buy one. Like in a ealier Post the Irriduims seem to work very well tho.

croc_j2001

Reaction score
I have tried all the sat phones out there and the iridium is what i use now. the globalstars and others do not get very good reception in canada because all of there sats orbit east to west. iridium phones orbit north to south and reception is way better. i work in the mountains all the time so my company provides us with sat phones and these are what we went to. i have noticed though that reception is alot better if you have a clear line of site to the south and also a magnetic antenna. its alot more bulky but works better.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My crappy Globalstar phone did get a helicopter to lift a sled off of Frisby on Saturday.They all said that at least one person in a group should have one and I agree.Safety first as always.Good to see all the Rino radio GPS's out there now. This is a must have for group riding.

Cheers,
Dave

Last edited:

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On the GPS note I have a Garmin Vista cx, it is very good IMO I use it everyday with work and have not had an issue with it i have taken it sledding and quading, no two way radio built in though, but it was affordable, around $330 and it has a color screen which is nice.

Top Bottom