Goodbye Gray Creek Powerline Ride

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:realmad: The owners of the unused powerline between Kimberly & Gray Creek have taken the poles & wire out and deactivated the trail with SEVERE ditches every 50 yards/metres waist deep. They also took the bridge out that crosses Crawford Creek on the West side of the trail and that renders access from the west IMPOSSIBLE.

There goes one of the nicest, scenic, rides in the area. The FSR remains intact.

Thanks Teck/Cominco.:rant:

OverBore

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:realmad: The owners of the unused powerline between Kimberly & Gray Creek have taken the poles & wire out and deactivated the trail with SEVERE ditches every 50 yards/metres waist deep. They also took the bridge out that crosses Crawford Creek on the West side of the trail and that renders access from the west IMPOSSIBLE.

There goes one of the nicest, scenic, rides in the area. The FSR remains intact.

Thanks Teck/Cominco.:rant:

Cominco Kimberley was a great mine. They are a mining company, not a provider of reacreational trails. Deal with it.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's too bad really. It was a nice ride. All comes down to liability. They've tried de-activating all the old roads for the St. Eugene mine at Moyie too. We've got most of 'em back open though.:ThumbsupMsn:

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of photos of the area. Access to this from the West side will be next to impossible and really difficult from the East side.

Attachments

• P3110004.jpg
    P3110004.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 326
  • P3110013.jpg
    P3110013.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 317
  • P3110007.jpg
    P3110007.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 318

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
thanks mongrol I'm still choked that they took it out and decommissioned that part of gray creek I took my jeep out there a week ago and saw what they did:realmad:! Pretty stupid of them now that riding area is basicly done with Thanks a lot teck cominco your a real nice bunch of @$$ pirates:realmad:. AND TO THE ONE WITH PMS GO JOIN THE CARIBOU COMMITTEE!! good mines yes dick heads for pulling out the powerlines road YES!

Harley Rider

Reaction score
That old trail has been there longer than most anyone alive today and from WW2 jeeps to modern 4x4s, sleds, dirtbikes etc. has always been a nice ride. I am totally against taking out these old roads. Let nature take it's course and they usually wash out in the end anyway if not maintained. We don't all have horses or the ability as we age to walk these places. As for wildlife it isn't bothered a bit by vehicles passing through. Of course stay on the trail and take your garbage home.

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That old trail has been there longer than most anyone alive today and from WW2 jeeps to modern 4x4s, sleds, dirtbikes etc. has always been a nice ride. I am totally against taking out these old roads. Let nature take it's course and they usually wash out in the end anyway if not maintained. We don't all have horses or the ability as we age to walk these places. As for wildlife it isn't bothered a bit by vehicles passing through. Of course stay on the trail and take your garbage home.

Unfortunately it's not about any of that. It's this lawsuit crazy society we have these days. What "should" happen is the Provincial Government should take over the liability on these roads when the companies are finished with them so they don't have to be destroyed. Of course that's not going to happen. :(

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the govt does not want them due to the liability issue as well. if a club would have stepped up and offered to maintain it, that might have worked, but you need deep pockets and good liability insurance to to that.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why does there have to be a liability issue at all?
Put a sign that says road no longer maintained, ride at your own risk.

330AC

Reaction score
The reason any industrial company removes access is to remove their enviormental liability associated with the project, and in this case the powerline access. The reason they dig ditches and remove bridges is the first time some user group drive their ATV's or 4X4 through the creek you have a federal offence under the fisheries act. The fed's are not going to chase the individual they are going to go after the disposition holder which is the coal mine. By removing the access you reduce the risk. The only way to get the trial back is for a club to take over the disposition or in this case the powerline.

LID

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize it was that kind of liability (environmental). I thought they were worried about getting sued if some guy in sweat pants, greasy t-shirt, a mullet, and rubber boots rides his ATC off a corner and into a tree.

Last edited:

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here's a couple of summer shots.

Attachments

• P9180017.jpg
    P9180017.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 67
  • P9180032.jpg
    P9180032.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 62