Good Mountain Areas

Heimie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. Coming from the Edmonton area, and looking for good places to ride in the mountains. Before you jump on me, I know where all of them are, but I have limited mountain experience. I've only been there twice in the last two years, but wanting to go more. I have a buddy that just bought a mountain sled too. We can both ride very well, around here or in the foothills. We have both been riding short tracks around home for a long time. When I was in the mountains, I felt like a total newbie.

What I would like to know is where are good places for NOVICE mountain riders. Not looking for expert tree riding or bowls that we can't get out of. Not looking for massive chutes and hillclimbs. Not yet.

I would like to find some bowls, meadows and some easy tree riding areas so that I can get more mountain riding experience. My buddy has never been to the mountains and he's looking to gain the seat time and confidence as well.

I went to Revy (Boulder) last year, and it was good. Went to Valemount (Allen Creek) between Christmas and New Year's, and had a blast, even though I now have fractured ribs (almost all healed up - or at least enough to ride again!). Both times I was with people that knew the terrain very well, and were aware of the group's skill level. Not sure if we will have people to ride with that know the areas all the time, so we will have to learn that too.

I see in some of the videos posted here, there is the meadows and small bowls and light tree riding out there, just need to find it! We have all of the gear (just need a GPS) and looking to take an avy course in the near future.

Thank you in advance.

DaltonW

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any place that a club runs a groomer up is usually a good place to start. Depending on what location you want to go, each club will have a pretty detailed map with what can be expected of the area and what type of rider you should be to go there. As well as closures in the area. get a GPS. First trip out, GET A GUIDE, or ride with a guy who knows how to ride in the mountains and know the area. Lots of quick tips and tricks to learn to save a guy alot of effort or potentially i night on the hill.

Popik

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I second the guide idea. He will put you in the terrain you want safely and help you through the learning curve

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Bell Mountain in McBride has an awesome set of meadows. Renshaw has a larger play area.

Blue River was more technical with trees.

I personally enjoy Bell.

Top Bottom