Golden trout

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody tried to go to these lakes in Alberta which they live. I would love to hike in to one and catch a few.

northern bear

RIP May 30,2022
Reaction score
Aren't golden trout an introduced species from California? Only a handful of lakes stocked with them and I think they are in high altitude lakes in the mountain parks.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
All true I believe.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Coral lake looks awesome. Long trail in but looks worth it.

jaredszakacs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Baranaby lakes and rainy ridge lakes here in the castle special management zone has great golden trout fishing and the scenery is amazing as well! these lakes border on BC and the waterton lakes national park. been into them a few times usually do a weekend thing as it is only a couple hour hike.

macronut

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Golden Trout you say :)

It appears these guys had a blast at Michelle Lake, AB

http://www.ualberta.ca/~erodgers/michelle_lakes_2004/

I have been to Land Slide Lake, great Cut throat fishing, and nothing else but cut throat. Also I've been to the neighboring Lake; Lake of the Falls, and caught a few cut throat! We also have heard golden trout there as well. How ever I think Michelle Lake is going to be on the trip list soon...

RedDragons

Reaction score
Raine Ridge and Barnaby don't open till July. I plan on going to Raine Ridge after it opens I will post how the trip was when I get back can't wait.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Rainy Ridge Lake was the first lake that came to mind when Golden's are mentioned.

You can access the front half of the trail from the Castle road by quad. Bushwack the rest which is nice.

I actually prefer a hike in lake to a ride in lake. I can list near 30 lakes I have hiked into the past several years in the Southern half of the province. I have never been disapointed either.

Quad access ruins too many of the lakes that still have a decent amount of fish that make the hike more enjoyable.

I think my list of to do lakes grows by the year.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Worth it.

still a long friggin hike, some of the chopper operators have some good prices, lots quicker, less friggin work. anyway i hope ya catch a few , would be a great experience.

Lowlife82

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
still a long friggin hike, some of the chopper operators have some good prices, lots quicker, less friggin work. anyway i hope ya catch a few , would be a great experience.

Done that before. Fun. Cool. I like the work and planning of a hike though. Satisfaction of it just makes it worth all the prep and hard work.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah. it would be part of the experience, although not the part i'm interested in, anyway good luck hope ya catch a few.

Top Bottom