Golden Triangle Access?

rellek

Reaction score
Heard the trail from Whitecourt to Swan Hills was impassable due to pipeline work going on. Is it possible to go around the problem area or is that leg of the triangle basically closed? We were looking to take 3 days and do the whole triangle. Thanks for any info.:(

blastoff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
there was something on here the other day might want to search it, but some locals should chime in here to let people know, any locals could give this guy info

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is some info. in riding areas under N.W. Alberta for the Golden Triangle. There is some trail disturbance north of the Freeman River.

SKIROULE

Reaction score
We tried last weekend and failed. Our plan was to start from whitecourt then to swan hills and try and run the triangle. It Was a very tough ride. The trail degrades just past the trailblazers shack. No grooming , trees across the trail and just gets worse from there. Once we ran through roughly 10km of cat cleared trail down to the dirt and crossed too many burms to count. We came out on a road and lost the trail. No markers, overheating, low fuel and a smashed front bumper from a rock in a burm we decided to follow the road out to the nearest highway and had to ditchbang the 50 km back to whitecourt on fumes. At the end of an 8 hour run we only made 50km of 350. I'm still thankful we didn't run the other direction and hit this mess later in the night. Would have been spending the night in the bush! In my
opinion the trail should be concidered closed between whitecourt and swan hills. I'm surprised after being in contact with the trailblazers before the trip they didn't know it was in this condition.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Clubs all got big $$$$ this year to open trail up and promote the touism thing. Guess the pipeline screwed them again. Industry messing up the snowmobile trails

fat tire

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are allot of trails connecting to the triangle system from swan, the pipeline does get to be a pain but you can cross and last time I seen they knocked down a few of the burms so sldders can get to the other side. you might want to contact the club in swan hills they will have something to show the alternate routes* to get to the marked areas again.........the club is also looking for* volenteers to help out with the rally. lots of trails in swan to play on even if a guy doesn't complete the triangle.

GREASEMONKEY

Reaction score
Heard the trail from Whitecourt to Swan Hills was impassable due to pipeline work going on. Is it possible to go around the problem area or is that leg of the triangle basically closed? We were looking to take 3 days and do the whole triangle. Thanks for any info.:(

the inlaw and i tried a couple weeks ago and made it as far as marker 0 we moved some fallen trees as we went about 25 kms from Swan hills was where we ended the trip at due to the construction ran into a skinner on the trail as well moving the snow and all was not sure to go where from there some big trees down as well take a saw mine was to small for the bigger trees.

rellek

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back. Looks like the triangle may be out unless something changes or new info arises. May consider the Athabasca rally instead. Will keep searching the posts :(

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were up and removed the deadfall from the trail north of the Carson cabin today. There is a large seismic program in about the area of letter N. Some of the trail is bladed down to bare dirt and some of it has been drilled with loaded shot holes. Best to check before trying
to use this section of trail.

Top Bottom