Gold bar on Canadian Passports???

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good day.....
Trying to plan a surprise trip for my gf's 50th bday in Vegas, this Oct. Her older brother keeps talking about needing some sort of "gold bar" on our passports, to enter the U.S.
I just got my passport renewed in March 2016 and no bar.....
I have done my best to google it, including "US Borders and Customs" and have came up empty.

Does/has anyone heard of this Gold Bar thing?

TIA :beer:

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good day.....
Trying to plan a surprise trip for my gf's 50th bday in Vegas, this Oct. Her older brother keeps talking about needing some sort of "gold bar" on our passports, to enter the U.S.
I have done my best to google it, including "US Borders and Customs" and have came up empty.

Huh???

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion, but theres so much going on with your post. Gold bar on a passport?
You have a girlfriend?
You're allowed to cross the border?

So much going on...

Nada on the Gold Bar. Been twice this year and no "Gold Bar" on my passport. As long as its current.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is no "special" passport that has a gold bar. He may be referring to the bar code, which they all have.

Or maybe he is hinting at something else gold? Might want you to take his sister off his hands.

Just tell him you went and paid for the gold bar upgrade and see what is response is. :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Our passports were renewed last April. I just looked through them and there is nothing that depicts a "gold bar". We have used them 6 times and there was no mention of a "gold bar" at either entry point (USA and/or Canada). I would say that you are good to go and enjoy!

But then again, I'm not an expert on many things! BTW, Zal may not get out much!

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So Trashy, what's the updated scoop?
No updates yet.... Everything I've looked at, doesn't have a gold bar either. I'll call John today, when Jacky isn't around, to let him know that his info is bogus....

old mountain man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Likely means electronic chip that is embedded in passport. I think this was started in 2013. Older passports may not have it. As of April 1 it is required to cross into the U.S.A.

Last edited:

X-Treme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.robinsautomotive.ca
Likely means electronic chip that is embedded in passport. I think this was started in 2013. Older passports may not have it. As of April 1 it is required to cross into the U.S.A.
It must not be visible then. My passport is less than a year old and has nothing visible.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys....its called an ePassport...it Does contain a chip.....it is Not mandatory....your regular passport will work until it expires....

What is an ePassport?
An ePassport is also known as a biometric passport. It looks like a traditional passport book, but it contains an electronic chip that is encoded with the same information found on page 2 of the passport (surname, given name, date of birth and sex). It also includes a digital picture of the bearer's face.
The electronic chip increases security, provides greater protection against tampering and reduces the risk of fraud.

Does the ePassport make border crossings faster?
The goal of the ePassport is to improve security by combating fraud. It may, in some cases, help speed up border crossings, but there is no guarantee that this will be the case.

What happens if the chip in my ePassport doesn't work?
In the unlikely event that the chip cannot be read, the passport will still be valid. Over 100 countries, including the United States, the United Kingdom and France, have been using ePassports for several years with no reported chip failures.

Are children's ePassports also valid for 10 years?
No. All children under the age of 16 receive ePassports that are valid for a maximum of five years.

Can I get an ePassport even though I already have a valid passport?
Yes, you are allowed to submit a simplified renewal application if you wish to replace your non-electronic passport with an ePassport, even if your current passport has more than 12 months remaining. You must pay the full fee and must meet the other requirements for simplified renewal. You must also provide a written explanation as to why you are applying at this time (to obtain a new ePassport).
Please note that there is no requirement to replace your valid non-electronic passport with an ePassport. Canadian passports that do not contain an electronic chip are highly secure and will still be valid until they expire.

I have a valid passport. Will I still be able to use it even though it's not an ePassport?
Yes. Passports that do not contain an electronic chip will still be valid until they expire.

Last edited:

Cat401

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It must not be visible then. My passport is less than a year old and has nothing visible.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

.........all Passports issued since July 1, 2013 are automatically ePassports.

so, just because you can't see it, does not mean it is not there.

the_real_wild1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Her brother said you needed it to enter the US. Yet passports without are still valid. So in other words it is bs that you need it to enter the US.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good day.....

Bar or no bar doesn`t matter.
What matters is your telling us all her age. Not good Doug. NO girl wants her age put on a public website.
Better hope she doesn't read this Buddy

Top Bottom