Goggle recommendation?

rlook

Reaction score
I'm looking for goggle recommendations. Currently I ride with a 509 helmet, size XL. I ride in temp's as low as -30 and as warm as -10 with a neoprene no-fog and a balaclava under my helmet. My current goggles are snowboard goggles and have too much airflow, they are usually too cold or my eyes tear up, thus I am looking to replace them. What goggle fits this helmet and application well? Also, I'm in Calgary for the week - where is the best place to pick some up? Thanks in advance

sc800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 509 helmet and I found that the KLIM goggles fit very well and they have a nose piece also. Very happy with them. Also have a Fly pair bit they do not fit nearly as well.

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
509 goggles will fit the opening the best but the lens quality is inferior to other goggles imo. I've been wearing oakley line miners with a rose prizm lens and they're the best I've used. Only complaint is they bleed some wind in where the straps contact the helmet so I just ordered a set of airbrakes with same lens for a better fit with a helmet. No nose cover is a downside though.

rlook

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions, I will check out the Oakley and Klim. Lack of a nose cover is fine for me as my no-fog mask covers my nose/lower face completely.

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oakley are the best goggles you can buy and they are worth it. Rose prism lense is my go to. Hi pink for snowy and heavy sock days.

Tchetek

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don’t have the aboms but heated goggles is the ticket!

I have 2 pairs of Oakley infernos but if i didn’t I would have aboms! Expensive but worth every penny! Never switch goggles anymore. I Use to fog up and switch many times a day.

Oakley infernos are discontinued.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I vote for the Oakley Airbrakes as well. The prizm lenses are unreal for clarity and field of vision. They are expensive, but well worth it IMO.

Nikm17

Reaction score
If you’re riding in temps down to -30 a full face helmet seems like it would be a better option to me. I run Oakley goggles but they have a fair bit of venting through the lenses to prevent fogging when you’re working hard or the temps are warmer.

If the problem you’re having is related to wind draft and cold, I don’t think any goggle will stop that because they all have venting in them. At least any snow goggle that I’ve seen

rlook

Reaction score
Yes, I agree full face is better for really cold weather and I switch to my modular helmet around -30. But warmer than that and I have my modular fogging up as soon as I am throwing around my sled. Hence the need for the snowcross helmet with goggles. I'll take a good look at the oakleys, I'm just hoping that a sled specific goggle has less airflow than a snowboard goggle.
Where is the best spot in Calgary to find a pair of the Oakleys? Or is online best?

dabensmiller

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, I agree full face is better for really cold weather and I switch to my modular helmet around -30. But warmer than that and I have my modular fogging up as soon as I am throwing around my sled. Hence the need for the snowcross helmet with goggles. I'll take a good look at the oakleys, I'm just hoping that a sled specific goggle has less airflow than a snowboard goggle.
Where is the best spot in Calgary to find a pair of the Oakleys? Or is online best?

Crossiron mills has an Oakley store. Take your helmet in to test fit the goggles.

captain extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just made the switch Zeal "Slates" after running 509s for probably 10 years, fit way better in a 509 helmet compared to actual 509 goggles.....
Everything will fog eventually but these have been exceptional so far

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My kid still likes his Utopia goggles ( they make glasses and goggles ) in his M2R helmet, from his racing days, they make winter goggles as well, that he uses in his M2R helmet's for both snowboarding and snowmobiling.
You can still get them in the US, but couldn't find the Canadian supplier after a recent google search...

I'm using a Klim helmet with Klim goggles but I did add a 509 auto fan inside the goggles for the high humidity days....

Utopia makes some great posters.....

Attachments

• Utopia.jpg
    Utopia.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 95
Top Bottom