GM recalls Bolts … again

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
July 26, 2021 by Adam Malik

GM recalls Bolts … again​

Eight months after issuing a recall for the Bolt, General Motors has issued a second one for the electric vehicle.

The announcement covers 2017-2019 Chevrolet Bolts. It comes after customers who previously had their vehicle repaired for defective battery modules reported battery fires. The global recall affects 69,000 vehicles.

2017-Bolt-EV_2-300x200.jpg

2017 Chevrolet Bolt EV
GM and its battery supplier partner LG have found “two rare manufacturing defects in the same battery cell” that were the cause of battery fires in these particular Bolt electric vehicles.

“As a result, GM will be conducting a new recall for the previous population of Bolt EVs (2017-2019) to address the risk of battery fires in these vehicles,” the automaker said in a posting on its website.

GM said it will replace defective battery modules in vehicles affected by the recall. It has not yet been announced as to when the replacements will be ready for customers to receive the repairs.

In the meantime, GM is asking customers to do the following to avoid potential issues:

1. Customers should, whether or not they received the current software update, return their vehicle to the 90% state of charge limitation using Hilltop Reserve mode (for 2017-2018 model years) or Target Charge Level (for 2019 model year) mode. If customers are unable to successfully make these changes, or do not feel comfortable making these changes, we are asking them to visit their dealer to have these adjustments completed.
  2. Additionally, we ask that customers charge their vehicle after each use and avoid depleting their battery below approximately 113 km of remaining range, where possible.
  3. Out of an abundance of caution, customers should continue to park their vehicles outside immediately after charging and not leave their vehicles charging overnight.
The company is also asking customers, if they haven’t already, to visit their dealer to receive the advanced diagnostics software update. Then, they should limit the charging state to 90% and follow the above instructions.

The first recall was issued in November.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we dont live in California..not sure why anyone in 40 below Alberta would buy one ,with the cost of the dam batteries and low range.we bought a 07 Toyota Camrey hybrid in 09 for $6500 i got at repo auction with dead batterys. i phoned Toyota and found out all the batterys would be replaced ,no charge ,i towed it there and a week later it was all done..they even changed oil in the gas motor too. we drove it for 2 yrs till we moved back to Whitecourt.. i called the Toyota dealer and asked sales what there 07 was selling for $24,000 WOW. so i put it on Kijij and a lady i knew well that bought our last Camrey 10 yrs prior came and bought. that paid for our home in Whitecourt,plus what we got for acreage in Barrhead.. sorry for the long boring storey..that cat had 850,000 on it when transmission went, she bought another Camrey in 2020.she delivers newspapers in country with it.

Top Bottom