Garage furnace help pls

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the Mr heater propane heater in my shop and I keep having issues with the rubber hose fitting on the exhaust side - it was getting blocked off with corrosion and shutting furnace down - cleaned it out with haywire - lasted a month - did it again - figured I would drill it out - lasted a few days now it gets condensation in it and shuts furnace down - any help or advice would be sweet thx
20220125_142910.jpg

Jobu

Reaction score
No expert by any means but could it be that your furnace vent isn't draining to the outside of the garage? I believe the drop is 1/'4" every foot. If it's not draining outside it could be backing up in the furnace.

Morty19

Reaction score
I had the same thing with mine, cleaned it out and it ran for a while then shut down again. Changed the hose and fixed the problem, the old one was checked up like an old fuel line which didn't allow it to hold the vacuum like it was supposed to. Hope this helps

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing with mine, cleaned it out and it ran for a while then shut down again. Changed the hose and fixed the problem, the old one was checked up like an old fuel line which didn't allow it to hold the vacuum like it was supposed to. Hope this helps
The hose is in good shape - maybe I'll try a zip tie on both ends

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine does that at least 1 sometimes 2 times a year. I just clean it out and wait until it happens again. Mine is never clogged in the hose though, it's always in the part metal. Doesn't take much to block it being such a small hole.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO
You had a dirty hose, now condensation, so the sensor might be dirty now and that fan drum is getting rusty dirty ?

* Hoses can get flaps inside them. FYI everybody

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As per the Mr Heater manual you are to slope the exhaust back toward the heater. I installed mine this way and haven't had an issue yet.

I'd probably pull the blower and have a look inside, if your getting much corrosion it might not be long before a firetube perforates and you have combustion gas entering your garage. Maybe at the same time put a piece of mesh over that port to keep it from plugging?

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As per the Mr Heater manual you are to slope the exhaust back toward the heater. I installed mine this way and haven't had an issue yet.

I'd probably pull the blower and have a look inside, if your getting much corrosion it might not be long before a firetube perforates and you have combustion gas entering your garage. Maybe at the same time put a piece of mesh over that port to keep it from plugging?

Mine is sloped towards heater, it's like a 1/16" hole, it looks like white residue left over from water melt to me almost when I clean it out, not that it's much there at all, just a tiny poke with a piece of wire.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I had the local plumbing outfit install it - it looks sloped back a bit - good call I'll pull it apart and take a look in there and try to do whatever I can to rectify it - it always fails when I'm outta town ffs

getzcold

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Pull the venter motor assembly off and blow the scroll cage out and clean up some of the debris that will be in there. Propane is bad for soot

Top Bottom