g5 driveshaft clamp

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The engineers @ Ski Doo took this to another level, when I seen this product update last spring.......I just hung my head.

Why not accept your track is POS & fix it. It's very difficult for them just to say we made a mistake & correct it.

Labour cost to swap a track is very low compared to the cost of the POS track.....it used to be simple.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't typically defend doo but I thought they had a pretty good track, no 3" is for high speed trails.

The drive shaft extra moving parts is odd as 99% likely never change a track.
Polaris needs that to make it easier to get the doo track on 99% of their sleds.........

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The engineers @ Ski Doo took this to another level, when I seen this product update last spring.......I just hung my head.

Why not accept your track is POS & fix it. It's very difficult for them just to say we made a mistake & correct it.

Labour cost to swap a track is very low compared to the cost of the POS track.....it used to be simple.
have you worked with engineers? They tend to make simple things complicated? They just can't accept practicality. lol

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sadly I have, very few are practical. Some are though, they are awesome!
Don't get me wrong I worked in an electrical engineering team for 30 years in the head shed for my employer. I have learned a hell of a lot from those guys and look at things differntly now as a result of that experiance. They also ask for my opinion as the trade guy to get a sense of practicality for their ideas. Most of em are my friends. Even teaching one of them to be a sledder:).

This thread reminds me of times we had guys in the field second guessing things without the full picture.

Maybe this spline interference fit is a serious issue? Who knows but need to understand the design in my opinion.

As an example we worked with large rotating electrical machines. One time an 18000 HP 3600 rpm machine was in the shop and they had the rotor spinning at 300 rpm and could hear the rotor bars rattling. That set off rapid panic through out the organization that the rotor bars were broken and it would be up to 44 weeks to get a new rotor built and defered production would be about a million a day. We were asked to find the root cause. The Bars were designed to be that loose as on a start they would be flung out by centrifigul force and thermally expand to be tight otherwise they would break!

I will wait and see before I start gluing some guys hack into my driveshaft. ;) :D

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
172 thousandths of an inch or 4mm, which is quite a bit. Be curious to see what a dial indicator shows on a previous model year. I bet its not zero though

Holly fawk 4mm slop, but it's a Doo so it' OK.
Can't wait to see the video on that one.
Toooo funny
Maybe the wobble in the clutch is balanced to the wobble in the driveshaft????

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong I worked in an electrical engineering team for 30 years in the head shed for my employer. I have learned a hell of a lot from those guys and look at things differntly now as a result of that experiance. They also ask for my opinion as the trade guy to get a sense of practicality for their ideas. Most of em are my friends. Even teaching one of them to be a sledder:).

This thread reminds me of times we had guys in the field second guessing things without the full picture.

Maybe this spline interference fit is a serious issue? Who knows but need to understand the design in my opinion.

As an example we worked with large rotating electrical machines. One time an 18000 HP 3600 rpm machine was in the shop and they had the rotor spinning at 300 rpm and could hear the rotor bars rattling. That set off rapid panic through out the organization that the rotor bars were broken and it would be up to 44 weeks to get a new rotor built and defered production would be about a million a day. We were asked to find the root cause. The Bars were designed to be that loose as on a start they would be flung out by centrifigul force and thermally expand to be tight otherwise they would break!

I will wait and see before I start gluing some guys hack into my driveshaft. ;) :D
Do you know who you are talking about here? Tom is the guy that receives parts from anonymous shippers so he can have fixes prior to new model releases. I remember him telling my about 2 bulkheads that showed up 6 month before a new sled hit the market. No return address or shipper info. How in the world do you think he has a solution for this particular problem so early in the season? If you knew all the facts you would likely not try and discredit him.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run alot of tki products top notch product and great service, when they first anounced this quick disconnect i was not to thrilled just one more part to fail that doesnt need to be there your litterally saving what 20 min? Not needed and over engineered in my opinion.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you know who you are talking about here? Tom is the guy that receives parts from anonymous shippers so he can have fixes prior to new model releases. I remember him telling my about 2 bulkheads that showed up 6 month before a new sled hit the market. No return address or shipper info. How in the world do you think he has a solution for this particular problem so early in the season? If you knew all the facts you would likely not try and discredit him.
Nope not a clue who he is or trying to discredit him. So he is the guy BRP uses for R&D? Is that what the bulkhead comment is about?

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Run alot of tki products top notch product and great service, when they first anounced this quick disconnect i was not to thrilled just one more part to fail that doesnt need to be there your litterally saving what 20 min? Not needed and over engineered in my opinion.
It must be great for speeding up assembly. Now they can have a chaincase fully assembled and oiled and on to the chassis before slipping the track in. Don't even need to open the chaincase cover. This change was not for hthe consumer but was really for the manufacturer.

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It must be great for speeding up assembly. Now they can have a chaincase fully assembled and oiled and on to the chassis before slipping the track in. Don't even need to open the chaincase cover. This change was not for hthe consumer but was really for the manufacturer.
Does it really save anything though? Just doing it in a different order. I also think it is an unnecessary item. Not like riders get up in the morning and decide what track they will use that day.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dont think it really matters they posed it as a great feature towards the rider at marketing time swap a track in half the time was all tbey kept saying, i think opening up your chaincase and looking everything over is pretty important but i mean ive lost 2, 3 inch tracks at 1000 miles or less 1 in 17 and 1 in 20 and not one time did u think well i wish the track was easier to change more like why the fack are these tracks such junk

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does it really save anything though? Just doing it in a different order. I also think it is an unnecessary item. Not like riders get up in the morning and decide what track they will use that day.
They can order the chaincases pre-assembled now. Just a component to install and not try to build in the sled.

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
172 thousandths of an inch or 4mm, which is quite a bit. Be curious to see what a dial indicator shows on a previous model year. I bet its not zero though
Maybe it's a wobble clutch brain fart

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yep. In my head when I first heard about this quick change drive shaft, my first thought was well that seems like a bad idea.

Fyi, for those who may not be familiar with “thousands of an inch” 0.125” is 1/8th. So getting over .200” is Ridiculous amount of slop! Gears have to run true and straight to each other. They can’t just be flopping around all Willy Nilly….. at least not for very long. 🤣

Top Bottom