Fuel usage on turbo vs n/a?

2012ProRMK

Reaction score
Does the 850t burn a considerable amount more fuel than the n/a version?
I bought my first turbo (2022 154) and looking at a few storage options. Bought the seat box for storage but that doesn't work with my jerry can, they hit. I heard the bigger stackable one doesn't, but trying to avoid buying another $300 jerry can.

Never really needed the jerry can on any of my n/a 850's, wondering if I'll still get away with it. Otherwise guess ill be running the jerry can and a tunnel bag.

Thanks

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Does the 850t burn a considerable amount more fuel than the n/a version?
I bought my first turbo (2022 154) and looking at a few storage options. Bought the seat box for storage but that doesn't work with my jerry can, they hit. I heard the bigger stackable one doesn't, but trying to avoid buying another $300 jerry can.

Never really needed the jerry can on any of my n/a 850's, wondering if I'll still get away with it. Otherwise guess ill be running the jerry can and a tunnel bag.

Thanks
On really deep days you will burn more. Normal days with a foot or two of fresh it will burn the same or less because you’ll be doing everything faster than you would on a n/a With less long duration full throttle

Merc63

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Depends how much you’re into the boost. More boost equals more fuel. If you’re hammering it lots it sucks fuel, deep days, 2 hrs and empty,

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s the worst sled I have ever owned on fuel. Seriously even if your being nice.

Oil consumption is just savage as well.

Performance is a 10/10, love n hate relationship!

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It’s the worst sled I have ever owned on fuel. Seriously even if your being nice.

Oil consumption is just savage as well.

Performance is a 10/10, love n hate relationship!

yup. No doubt if the snow is good your burning substqantially more fuel and also more oil. Its the only sled I've ever come off the mountain with a low oil light ( rare) but its happened. You are going to want the large skidoo 20l jerry. If you ride really hard wouldn't hurt to carry 250ml of injection oil to get you off the hill.

like mentioned, the performance outweighs the fuel usage so its really never a concern. it is what it is, worth it.

Foxstar45

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would normally burn 20-30 liters of fuel and 1/3 tank of oil a day on my XM. It was also boring as f$^K when the snow was cold and deep. If days are 4 hours long now, so be it.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would normally burn 20-30 liters of fuel and 1/3 tank of oil a day on my XM. It was also boring as f$^K when the snow was cold and deep. If days are 4 hours long now, so be it.

if you burn a tank of fuel, oil, and your jerry can on the turbo your body is done i dont care who you are.

greenthumb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
As a rough guide, we find a full tank on a n/a 850 is equivalent to the tank plus jerry on a turbo. As others mentioned, it is really more dependent on the rider, conditions, length of day, etc.

Can you not run the can in position 2? Sounds like you're not using a tunnel bag if you have the seat box.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I ride a NA 154 3". Buddy got a 165 Turbo. So far he has consistently burnt less fuel than me and by quite a margin. We are roughly the same weight.

Top Bottom