fuel gauge has lost it

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
bought a 91 nissan king cab today , on the way home i put some gas in it , 3/4 of a tank and once it got to half it dropped instantly to 1/4 and didn't come back up.....what could this be? other then this the truck is perfect! can i do this repair by myself? mechanics are rip off artists....most anyhow.

anybody got any idea?
thanks

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm just a rip off artist,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I got nothing

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It could be a easy driveway job.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the pump and the sending unit are one piece , price it out be for you do anything lots of $$$

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would guess there are 6 bolts holding the box onto the frame, and the gas filler gauge, and electrical would have to come out. But seriously... A mechanic would know best. You may think that they are just there to rip you off, but they go to school for that stuff.

TheLonelyIsland

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would guess there are 6 bolts holding the box onto the frame, and the gas filler gauge, and electrical would have to come out. But seriously... A mechanic would know best. You may think that they are just there to rip you off, but they go to school for that stuff.

good point , guess i'll take it in next paycheck......hopefully i can find an honest one....

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. They can do tests on it too to see if that really is the problem. Not just some guys on the internet saying what they think it is.

TROLLCAT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
run the truck low on fuel , pull the tank 2 staps , spray wd40 on the treads 2 day before the job starts disconnect filler & vent hoses wear safty glasses you'll get crap in your eyes price out the parts first you may need more than 1 paycheck

heavy d

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Joey, this is all good advice, but lets start with something easy....the truck my kid just bought (King cab) had the same problem. The guage defaulted to 1/4 tank regardless of how much fuel there was in it.

Very simple fix.......empty the tank, syphon if you have to, reove the straps, as instructed above, the wiring conections are on the top of the tank. The ground wire corroded of Brents. We made a new connection with a new crimp connector........presto. Whole job took less than 2 hrs, with air tools.....double the time without. EASILY fixed in the driveway

Top Bottom