FSR Accident

SHREK1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just thought I should post this. Been travelling up and down roads for many years relatively trouble free. Well that came to an end Thursday.

Was headed up to the Grizzly Lodge on Thursday and road was the busiest I’ve seen, chained up at the highway, tuned in the radio and did a radio check and up we started. Meet 6 loaded coming down, a few pickups and trailers and was all good, had good communication with everyone, had a little delay at the 12 km hill getting getting the 3 in our group to the 14 km pull out but all went well again great communication with everyone, met 2 loaded loggers coming down and we passed there. Called out we were leaving 14 km and off we went, got to km 15 and called again and heard nothing coming down, got to 15 1/4 and just come up to the corner and here comes a lifted pick up with a deck and 2 sleds on it, I stopped and he hit his brakes and came at me sideways, damaged started at my truck mirror and destroyed the side of my truck from there back, the sled deck eventually slammed into my trailer and sheared the deck right off his truck, his sled with it. His truck finally stopped completely passed my trailer.

We get out and the first thing he does is say we did not call out, we did a radio check and you could hear me in his radio so he had a radio that could hear out of but we could not hear him, he said he was only doing 40 - 60km. He came onto the 670 at 18km and this happened at 15 1/4 so not a lot of time to get a feel for what is going on

The reason for this post is to bring awareness to responsible use of them, first always have a radio, make sure you can transmit and receive calls, then drive like the guy you meet does not have a radio. All this could of been avoided if both sides operated like this.

This has ended my sledding season, sure to cost me a pretty penny, and sure to deter me to a point on where my trips will be to.

The good is my 2 boys and a buddy was with me and no one got hurt.

thanks and please be safe

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear no injuries. I haven't been on that road but isn't 60 to 70 K headed down a road that chains are being used on a little quick?

How does insurance handle this type of accident.

Lightningmike

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Geez. Glad everyone is ok. I'm tthinkinglifted truck white oakly dude was underestimatING his speed to have that much happen

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s crappy… glad to hear you and your passengers are ok!

I’d be interested to know where the lifted deck truck fellow is from?

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Even with radios this happened, yet some folks still think radios aren't needed. Go tthrough it with hunters all the time. Glad everyone is ok, but would still be pissed. You can fight it through insurance.

freeflorider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Like swat said, I see close calls all the time with misunderstandings and lack of radios. Sounds like you did a great job calling up and really no fault on your behalf, who’s to say he turned his radio up after the crash.
one thing I always try to tell myself is it’s not a radio controlled road it radio assist. Drive accordingly and expect someone to be around the corner.
I’m sure the other traffic you passed can speak to your good driving habits coming up. Be great to find out this guy was spinning donuts at the parking lot or something.

Teth-Air

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That’s crappy… glad to hear you and your passengers are ok!

I’d be interested to know where the lifted deck truck fellow is from?
Why should it matter where he is from? Are you looking to judge him based on where he lives? I hope not, as people love to make assumptions and judge others way too much these days. I bet he is sick about this incident and the OP never said this guy was a jerk or really did anything wrong. It could have simply been that he didn't hear the radio call.

skidoo6100

Reaction score
We came up on Sunday, did we talk to you at the parking area? 2 newer black ram truck with small enclosed…

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why should it matter where he is from? Are you looking to judge him based on where he lives? I hope not, as people love to make assumptions and judge others way too much these days. I bet he is sick about this incident and the OP never said this guy was a jerk or really did anything wrong. It could have simply been that he didn't hear the radio call.
Cool your jets cowboy….

Was it you?
Was it your friend?
Maybe it was my friend?
Are you looking to judge a guy for asking a question.

Like my post said… glad that OP and crew and everyone involved are ok.

X-it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I caught up to one guy going up on a FRS road, of coarse he was calling every kilometer because i could hear a faint little click. Good thing his radio was not working because this really pisses of the logging truck drivers. Read the dam signs at the beginning of the road. I called on the must call for both of us. Radios are not fool proof they quit working some times.

Zrock

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
glad everyone made it out OK... It amazes me how many people feel they do not need a radio or need to call out even on inactive FSR. We spend huge money on our toys but yet cannot spend a few $$ on a pc of gear to keep us and others safe.. Been in that situation with a guy towing a camper and just booking it up the hill and not calling out. Forced me off the road and my trailer into the ditch. Lucky i had enough momentum to keep moving as my trailer hooked and tried pulling me down the hill side. If we would have went over someone would have not made it out alive as i had the whole family in the truck. The other guy did not even slow down or stop if i would not had the family with me i would have disconnected the trailer and chased the guy down.. Luckely we only damaged a trailer rim and tire..

I have enough portable radios that i tell my friends that if they need one just come and get it..

Top Bottom