Ford F-150 Lightning

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If an F150 cruises at 12L/100km, and the federal excise tax is 10cent/liter and the provincial gas tax is 13cents/liter, it cost $2.76/100km in excise/road taxes.

At $1.50/ liter it costs $18/100km to drive a gas powered F150.

An Electric F150 uses 30.8kw/100km. At the regulated electricity rate of 18cents/kwh and 15cents/kwh for transmission and distribution fees (assumed truck is charged at home), it costs $10.16/100km to drive. Tack on an equivalent $2.76/100km for road taxes and it still only costs $12.92/100km to drive the EV version.

I don't see demand for EV's dropping anytime soon.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If an F150 cruises at 12L/100km, and the federal excise tax is 10cent/liter and the provincial gas tax is 13cents/liter, it cost $2.76/100km in excise/road taxes.

An Electric F150 uses 30.8kw/100km. At the regulated electricity rate of 18cents/kwh and 15cents/kwh for transmission and distribution fees (assumed truck is charged at home), it costs $10.16/100km to drive. Tack on an equivalent $2.76/100km for road taxes and it still only costs $12.92/100km to drive the EV version.

also not factored in is the long term effect on the electrical grid. The extra power consumed has to come from somewhere. It wont take long and our 100 dollar a month house power bill will be 500 dollars a month and blamed on excess demand on the power grid.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
also not factored in is the long term effect on the electrical grid. The extra power consumed has to come from somewhere. It wont take long and our 100 dollar a month house power bill will be 500 dollars a month and blamed on excess demand on the power grid.

Then install solar panels, if electricity prices jump that much a rooftop solar array will have a payback time of well under 5 years. With that kind of return it would be easy for a homeowner to get financing if they don't have the cash for the system, and even at high interest rates they would still be money ahead.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

The transmission fees will go up, someone will need to pay for the extra costs related to system upgrades that are needed to supply the extra demand.
Unfortunately everyone will pay more.
I think the cheaper operating benefits of the EV will soon disappear.
I like the ev's, just not practical for my use.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Then install solar panels, if electricity prices jump that much a rooftop solar array will have a payback time of well under 5 years. With that kind of return it would be easy for a homeowner to get financing if they don't have the cash for the system, and even at high interest rates they would still be money ahead.
40k for a proper system at 17% interest wouldn't be a quick payback.
Shortages of lithium will drive up costs too.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw it in person today at the red deer supercharger…

e46876f31358f504c75ccb8d1785dfea.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If a 50-90 cent/litre swing in gas prices are gonna put you over you are living above your means already.

As more EV's hit the road the charging prices are gonna go up, then they are going to have to figure out how to put to road tax on the vehicles.

I think you are over estimating the finances of average Canadians If you think a 90 cent/L increase in fuel prices only effects people living beyond their means. It is literally pouring fuel on the raging fire of inflation.

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been watching a lot on YouTube about different systems, panels and batteries. 10g is completely realistic. I really want to do a system but I'm waiting until I leave the city and find our forever home

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you are over estimating the finances of average Canadians If you think a 90 cent/L increase in fuel prices only effects people living beyond their means. It is literally pouring fuel on the raging fire of inflation.

Ohh I definitely could be, but I've been hearing for years that average canadians are $500/month away from Insolvency, then it was $250, and on and on..

I've never heard so much whining about fuel prices from friends, but yet they can't/choose not to, cut back on smoking or gambling or boozing or getting the latest and greatest tech gadgets...

The inflation sucks for sure... but to many retards wanted it so I hope they are enjoying the bed they made.

That there F150 lightning looks neat.

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The point is people seem to believe that electricity is a type of fairy dust with a never ending supply. We all have sockets in the wall so the energy is endless.

We here in BC are in some of the best shape of anywhere in the world when it comes to electricity supply, but the watch has already started, BC Hydro is offering all sorts of incentives to save energy, they know what will happen of to many electric vehicles hit the road in to short of time.

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The point is people seem to believe that electricity is a type of fairy dust with a never ending supply. We all have sockets in the wall so the energy is endless.

We here in BC are in some of the best shape of anywhere in the world when it comes to electricity supply, but the watch has already started, BC Hydro is offering all sorts of incentives to save energy, they know what will happen of to many electric vehicles hit the road in to short of time.

There is lots of people that don't know where their energy comes from, but I think that's changing and more people are becoming more informed. That's part of the reason I think so many in BC are switching to EV's, BC arguably has some of the cleanest electricity in the world and makes EVs more attractive.

BC is also very well positioned to add solar or wind to the energy mix, hydro dams literally store years worth of energy behind them, and hydro turbines have a very quick reaction time to come online quickly for when the sun doesn't shine or the wind doesn't blow.

Top Bottom