Ford Expedition, GMC Yukon or??

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For reference my dad's 2014 F150 ecoboost has 220k on it, all he's done is basic maintenance and I believe a rear main seal that was done under warranty. Its still running strong with no signs of giving up. I put in a set of NGK ruthenium plugs and that made a noticeable improvement in power and fuel economy he says. On the flip side I've heard that they suffer from the dreaded cam phaser issue but given that there seems to be a zillion of them on the road, they don't have the reputation of a 6.0 powerstroke. Some guys love them, some hate them. I like the super flat torque curve they have. Makes towing most trailers a lot nicer IMO but with that said, an expedition isn't my first choice for a tow vehicle lol. I'm getting a new work truck in the next month or so and I'm likely to end up with a F150 ecoboost but the bossman said to test drive them all and see what I like so I plan on doing just that.
New Toyota half ton is releasing any time now.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With used prices being so nuts it probably makes more sense to buy new, but man are these pricey units! I bought my f150 supercrew for 40k. Cheapest expedition max starts at low 80s, and cheapest suburban around 70. I just can't fathom spending that kind of money on a vehicle. Especially one that the little monsters are gonna be crawling all over.

Kicking myself for not buying the 2015 expedition max I seen a while ago. Had 85k, one owner, 2 sets of tires, mint, for 37000.

skidoo6100

Reaction score
We bought a new 21 VW Atlas R line after not being able to find the Explorer ST we wanted. Its been good so far, not as fast or fancy as some units but what can you buy for 55-57k and 0.9% interest. The interior is huge inside for being a mid sizer. I can sit in the back row no problem. Its worth a quick look at a dealer.
53DAB43C-5E7B-4897-8382-F5213A5E15E4.jpeg

rmk600700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We bought a new 21 VW Atlas R line after not being able to find the Explorer ST we wanted. Its been good so far, not as fast or fancy as some units but what can you buy for 55-57k and 0.9% interest. The interior is huge inside for being a mid sizer. I can sit in the back row no problem. Its worth a quick look at a dealer.
View attachment 251652
Nice!! Post a few updates along the way if can. Have heard the atlas handles amazing and would appreciate some real world feedback.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 251652
That actually looks pretty sharp IMO. Who did you deal with?

brutematt750

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
View attachment 251652

Those atlas look great. I just have something against vw. All there emission issues and I’ve heard cost of maintenance is atrocious

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a Toyota highlander? My sisterinlaw bought one and loves it.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
After some looking around and checking them out. We found a clean 2018 VW Atlas R Line at Sherwood VW. As much as I’d like to have a bigger suv like a Yukon or expedition, I think this one will be a good fit for the wife. Plus it should be fairly decent on fuel compared to a V8. Plus from the reading I did, the VR6 engine in it is fairly stout and reliable with regular maintenance. She really liked it on the test drive and felt comfy in it so if she’s happy I’m happy lol. We pick it up tomorrow so I’ll post some pics after we get it home.

skidoo6100

Reaction score
After some looking around and checking them out. We found a clean 2018 VW Atlas R Line at Sherwood VW. As much as I’d like to have a bigger suv like a Yukon or expedition, I think this one will be a good fit for the wife. Plus it should be fairly decent on fuel compared to a V8. Plus from the reading I did, the VR6 engine in it is fairly stout and reliable with regular maintenance. She really liked it on the test drive and felt comfy in it so if she’s happy I’m happy lol. We pick it up tomorrow so I’ll post some pics after we get it home.
Ya the wife really likes hers. If I never posted, you probably never would have even looked at them…and now you own one, haha!

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am a huge Ford guy but after test driving a Dodge Durango I couldn't over look how well they handle and the great ride their chassis offers. We keep our vehicles 5 yrs then usually one of our kids buys them off us. the last one had been very durable and reliable and I prefer driving it to a Ford Explorer. The new one is awesome so far as well. Worth checking out and they are a sharp looking rig as well. Supply is limited because of their popularity and the Covid thing as we had a hard time finding one that made the wife happy.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Expedition for our house. Pretty impressive handling and comfort

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You gonna post some pics or what? Might as well post one of the wife while you're at it 😆

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
Pretty decent suv. They are a little quirky with electrical gremlins, otherwise a decent vehicle. We have a salesman, who drives to Saskatoon twice weekly, that we maintain his Atlas. He has almost 200,000kms and so far nothing major. Brakes, tires, rear struts, a c/v axle and an alternator, and a variable valve solenoid.... that's about it. ENJOY!!!

Last edited:

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's hear some Atlas reports fellas, there may be one in our future as well. We prefer the Q7 but the whole premium fuel only thing is putting a damper on the big Audi.

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
I didn't read this whole thread. Did the Duramax Yukon get discussed at all?

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Let's hear some Atlas reports fellas, there may be one in our future as well. We prefer the Q7 but the whole premium fuel only thing is putting a damper on the big Audi.
So far its been good, had one minor issue with the adaptive cruise control. I looked into it and it seems that its a common electrical glitch, shutting the car off and restarting cured it. Other than that its super comfy, its a bit thirstier on fuel in town but out on the highway in eco mode it seems to hold down around 10-11L/100km. The only thing I'll b!tch about is that it has no block heater. From what I read, VW has issues with fires and codes with them installed previously. I didn't think a block heater was that complicated but whatever. They call for 0W30 oil in the manual so at least its getting proper lubrication on the cold starts.

Luke The Drifter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I didn't read this whole thread. Did the Duramax Yukon get discussed at all?
They are pretty sweet from the reading I've done. Sounds like they put down some impressive fuel economy numbers while still having respectable power. I would've loved to get one for those reasons alone, they're just not in my budget at the moment.

Top Bottom