Food For Thought (Heated Googles & Your Transcevier)

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
This is very interesting and just saved me 3-4 hundred bucks !

Attachments

• E99BC0E8-7741-4EAB-A6A2-3AFCBA317852.png
    E99BC0E8-7741-4EAB-A6A2-3AFCBA317852.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 274

2kDoo

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wonder if thats why guy is selling his heated pair on this site?

BILTIT

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is very interesting and just saved me 3-4 hundred bucks !
Dont forget the phone & radio in your pocket and screen on your machine that interferes also.

Heated goggles have been great, heated gloves are the bomb but i do mostly cold prairie riding these days lol.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I usually run my goggles only when i need them never on the always on setting if its off should be no issues i would think will havw to try it out

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
It's definitely something to think about, Curtis from Frozen Pirate made a great post on Facebook about these, and other technology that we all seem to carry upon ourselves when we go out riding.

If I see it again, I'll copy it to share here, or maybe if Curtis see's this he'll post it for us.

giddyup

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i had heard about the heated vest and stuff having a reaction, but the heated gloves are something new, would be interested to see some real life testing,

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I can't wrap my head around is why heated goggles would interfere with a beacon if the goggles don't emit any form of radio signal?

I fully understand cell phones, inreach, bluetooth headphones, radio, etc. and the interference they cause. But not this?

Is there some kind of remote with the goggles?

RGM

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What I can't wrap my head around is why heated goggles would interfere with a beacon if the goggles don't emit any form of radio signal?

I fully understand cell phones, inreach, bluetooth headphones, radio, etc. and the interference they cause. But not this?

Is there some kind of remote with the goggles?

Anything with a computer chip can cause interference which is pretty much everything with a battery these days. I had a wake up call teaching a course just after I got my Zoleo and didn't check how it affected my transceiver. Range went for 60M down to 20M

MP Kid

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything that consumes power will create EMI. All depends on the strength of the emitting source, the sensitivity of the receiving device, and the distance between each unit.

TylerG

Super Mod Geek
Administrator
Reaction score
just remember to turn your goggles off before you pull the rip chord on your avy pack…
From what I understand and have read, the EMI causes issues with search functionality not transmit functions which I totally agree is odd. But how do you prove it affects the transmit functions when you have to put another one into search to test it.

cattechsummitrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From what I understand and have read, the EMI causes issues with search functionality not transmit functions which I totally agree is odd. But how do you prove it affects the transmit functions when you have to put another one into search to test it.
I have read reports similar to that and other reports say it causes issues in send mode also, effecting range and location, It said location can be off by 4 ft depending on the positioning of the body and transceiver ( I will try to find the study and post it)
I was always told to have other electronics in you backpack or 3 ft from the beacon
So i guess tall guys can wear heated goggles and us short ones are SOL

brian h

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anything with a computer chip can cause interference which is pretty much everything with a battery these days. I had a wake up call teaching a course just after I got my Zoleo and didn't check how it affected my transceiver. Range went for 60M down to 20M
This is info that lot's don't understand and effecting range that much is something that people don't think about. Truthfully how many people actually check their beacon for distance ? They should actually do a beacon range check then try again with having the electronics that they pack in there pockets they put them in and see if it changes.

Top Bottom