first dealer service / last dealer service!

chop

Reaction score
Outch, the 300 km service sure hurts the pocket book. just got the call to pick it up and it was a good thing i was sitting down . lol
Is it normal to change the spark plugs with less than 300 km on them or are they just sticking it to me ? I new they were going to change all the fluids but wow over 400 buck . they even charged me to wash it? ( I wash it before i took it there ).:mad:
now the hard part , telling the wife.

chop

Reaction score
2013 outlander 500 xt

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sound steep for a quad oil change, these places dont work cheap tho.

canamgirl

Reaction score
Outch, the 300 km service sure hurts the pocket book. just got the call to pick it up and it was a good thing i was sitting down . lol
Is it normal to change the spark plugs with less than 300 km on them or are they just sticking it to me ? I new they were going to change all the fluids but wow over 400 buck . they even charged me to wash it? ( I wash it before i took it there ).:mad:
now the hard part , telling the wife.

Seems really high!! if its a new machine you should only need a light service after 50 hours which is just change fluids and clean air filter if needed! looks like they did a full service when wasn't needed!

mb1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow. That's pretty steep. And spark plugs? Geez.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
it is expensive at the dealer but you have to consider that dealers here in calgary are 130 an hour now.. they go by book time.. so it could be less if the tech is fimiliar with what he is doing... but they still charge book time.. set valves ( which you really don't need till way more k but thats what they want to keep warranty not bitching later on maybe....) the funny thing is, which i have seen over and over..you can set the valves on the can-am.. and after some k they actually tighten up and not loosen.. so just remember that... has happened to me a few times too...
and the oils are not cheap either.. and they probably charged you retail for everything.. most can-am dealers here give 10% off when you bought a machine from them.. at least i do...

now the spark plug thing.. yes they ripped you a big one there... lol.. i do some racing with my renegade and i did'nt change my plugs till 4000 k... those plugs they threw away .. i would go back and demand 2 free ones back.. cause there is nothing wrong with them... if they threw them out.. demand at least 2 free plugs.. how can they do that without getting red faces... its beyond me...
check how much fluid they charged you for.. and then they keep the bit still in the bottle.. thats yours unless they go bulk... 400ml in the tranny... 2.1 L is the oil.. the front diff should be 500ml and the rear 300 ml...

oh and if you washed it.. which you probably did quite good... unless you are blind.. why the heck did they charge you to wash it? i would have been secorted out by police after i got thru with them...haha

Last edited:

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer in Cowtown wouldn't turn of buddies service required light unless they did the service, hauled it to Olds and had Trackside do it.

KWIK RACING INC.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dealer in Cowtown wouldn't turn of buddies service required light unless they did the service, hauled it to Olds and had Trackside do it.

dont blame them.. if you were a dealer would you pay out of your pocket to turn the service light off? even if customer buys machine from you? and not do any service work with them?
thats the whole thing behind this service message.. get bike serviced and they will turn it off...
its not a 2 minute job.. i have seen how long it takes.. its 20 minutes at least by the time you remove the cowl and then plug in and then have to run the bubs system up on the bike to finally turn off the message....

there is more things to worry about then a scrolling message...lol
dont look at it.. mine scrolls all the time.. who cares...
the bottom line is this.. if you cant do the work then dont complain about how expensive it is.. go to your gm or ford or mopar dealer and get some work done and tell me its not expensive... if we want to own these toys then you cant complain about cost.. your only option is doing the work yourself

Last edited:

kootenaycat

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
check how much fluid they charged you for.. and then they keep the bit still in the bottle.. thats yours unless they go bulk... 400ml in the tranny... 2.1 L is the oil.. the front diff should be 500ml and the rear 300 ml...

Local dealer did this to me on the first (and only) service on my 850XP. The owner was good and gave me a credit after I brought it to their attention but how many others don't bother bringing it up? It was only about $45 but multiply that by how many people who don't catch it. They could do 4 front diff services, 4 rear diff, 5 ADC oil changes with the amount they originally charged me. Their service manager wasn't the least bit apologetic either, actually seemed pissed off that I was bothering him about it and probably more pissed when I went over his head to the owner. :D

Top Bottom