Fiberglass Enclosed Trailers

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been on the search for an enclosed trailer this year. Thought I had one won at the auction, turns out I didnt.

A found a fiberglass shell trailer for sale. Ive never dealt with them before. Wouldnt it be heavier than just a typical steal trailer though?

Anyone know of any pros or cons to the fiberglass? Anyone run them for a sled trailer?

REV2XHEART

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah ive been watching that one. im thinking its going to go pretty high in the last couple days though.

im going to go look at it tomorrow. without being able to crawl underneath the trailer what all should a guy look at on a used trailer so see if its worth it

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah ive been watching that one. im thinking its going to go pretty high in the last couple days though.

im going to go look at it tomorrow. without being able to crawl underneath the trailer what all should a guy look at on a used trailer so see if its worth it
What kinda trailer are you look at? Enclosed?

You kinda need to be able to look underneath. Its really easy to put perfume on a pig with trailers. Look at the corners, and the welds. Make sure none are cracked or broken. Aluminum trailers are usually cracked in a couple spots, you can get them welded pretty easy but its its all cracked up on every weld then you may want to pass.

Decking - needs to be in good shape. Good 1-side 3/4" plywood (should really use treated but you can use regular and then paint or seal it too) is going to run $200 so take that into consideration. If its an enclosed then does it have a subfloor or any other floor covering? Replacing a subfloor in an enclosed is a big job.

Lights need to work and wiring in good shape (not all electrical taped up etc). Brakes - ask if / when they were ever done. Same with wheel bearings. Does it have bearing buddies?

Look at ground clearance. A decent trailer needs to have 8-10" of clearance. Look at tires - are they worn uneven? if yes, may be a sign of a twisted or bent axle. Make sure its got a good spare and the tires are in good shape. New tires are gonna run about $125 each for cheap ones for anything in the 15" range. I have my spare at the shop right now, waiting on some new rubber. Waiting for the sea can to land - been there for 12 days already. Tires are in short supply, so you don't want to have to buy new ones (or if you do make sure that the price reflects that).

Ski glides or tie downs, should be in good shape. It should have them included. Superclamps are like $250? now. each.

Does it have ramps? Are they pull outs? Are they in good shape? Are they heavy (can you lift them by yourself)? Does it have a front cover / spray shield?

How long is the tongue? If its short, it will be a Pain in the A$$ to back up and if it has a fold down front or ramp for drive off you might have to jack knife it one way.

If its enclosed or a fibreglass lift up, is the outside weather checked, is the gelcoat all cracked up or rock chipped on the frame?

If there are trailer brakes then usually the battery should be tested.

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom