Fernie season 2020/2021

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They are using cm. Aren't you measuring in mm?
giphy.gif

ttmach1

Reaction score
Newbie to fernie here

I read many posts from fernie and the logging closures just made me aim/point other directions. For someone not familiar with fernie it was confusing

Seeing it is the end of Jan , and there is a tad of snow this week in the forecast ..where is the best place to stage for the fernie system ? Coming from Okotoks/Calgary Trails and tree cruising

Thanks in advance

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
16k west of fernie is morrisey road. Staging area is another 4-5km in.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
16k west of fernie is morrisey road. Staging area is another 4-5km in.

And that 8km in feels like 80 in the back as truck.. what a Shlt rd for pot holes last week, did find some tie downs thou

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
And that 8km in feels like 80 in the back as truck.. what a Shlt rd for pot holes last week, did find some tie downs thou

The road was graded after your departure...smooth as a baby's bottom last weekend.

As Maxwell Smart used to say..."missed it by that much"

cdnredneck_t3

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
East of the Rockies and west of the rest.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/VRzBB7oif2pJJFyz5

This is the Morrissey upper lot. Only go there if you have a deck on your truck, truck trailer combos are supposed to use the lower lot. If you get there late you might have to go back down to lower lot.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/F4rqVVwdU6sKbm2N8

This is the lower lot where trailers park.

There is a trail from the lower lot to the upper lot that they groom. There is also a trail from the upper lot to the Morrissey road where it stops being plowed and the kiosk is. The trail might be rough but use it. It's illegal to drive a snowmobile on a plowed road.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys one more thing, I have going to morsey from the age of 17 and now 52

Not many times a year, but a few, to this date the rds between morsey and Carbondale I still get mixed up, seams like so many different directions and intersections

Two weeks back iwas a
Very busy day, seen so many people lost and looking at them tiny maps you have..

Could You not build a few nice large plywood maps at staging areas, cabins important intersections, also better indications to starting points in riding areas

Your grooming was some of the best I ever seen, just wow, good job

Last edited:

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mike, that 16km is actually south of Fernie. I was going to mention earlier, pay attention to the signage; you want Morrissey and not the LodgePole.

right... I meant highway 3 west of fernie. Ya the highway goes south until Elko doesn’t it ... good thing highway signs don’t follow every bend in highway. Highway 1 north outta calgary would confuse people bad. It’s highway 1 west but it goes north between Canmore and Louise. Lol. And I’m pretty sure there is signs to parking lot. So most won’t end up on lodgepole.. which isn’t plowed this year so they will not get far anyways.

tater

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Guys one more thing, I have going to morsey from the age of 17 and now 52

Not many times a year, but a few, to this date the rds between morsey and Carbondale I still get mixed up, seams like so many different directions and intersections

Two weeks back iwas a
Very busy day, seen so many people lost and looking at them tiny maps you have..

Could You not build a few nice large plywood maps at staging areas, cabins important intersections, also better indications to starting points in riding areas

Your grooming was some of the best I ever seen, just wow, good job

I don’t have a clue where Carbondale is ???

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Beside west castle, came in a few times from there, across macdonald pass ( old Hiway) and dropped down to flathead rd, then took river run from Barnes ranch to the notch..

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From there across the pass and down to the flathead, is a real goat trail.. not one to take newbies down I recall

Then the river run from Barnes to notch is pretty technical as well, seen more than a few fires where guys had to dry and sleds drained.. always makes for good story’s years latter

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
From there across the pass and down to the flathead, is a real goat trail.. not one to take newbies down I recall

Then the river run from Barnes to notch is pretty technical as well, seen more than a few fires where guys had to dry and sleds drained.. always makes for good story’s years latter
Done the ride from trappers cabin to the notch with A&E boys. What a chit show. No desire to do that again. One guy broke a steering post and another his throttle. Was riding with vice grips on throttle cable. Willows scratched up everyones hoods. Bouncing through creeks and over logs. Terrible afternoon.

fredw

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Done the ride from trappers cabin to the notch with A&E boys. What a chit show. No desire to do that again. One guy broke a steering post and another his throttle. Was riding with vice grips on throttle cable. Willows scratched up everyones hoods. Bouncing through creeks and over logs. Terrible afternoon.

Lol, Dave might of took you up the shlt shlt creek side..

From the second cabin on right side hill, we just try in run ice/water more than snow, don’t remember to many willows, did it last year I recall, but a good snow dump with a few feet of fresh is mandatory and fun

Not sure if you were with the same trip a few gens back, but Jerry had to use snuffys sled for traction in a ugly and snuffy was stuck using vice grips all the way out, had to be the funniest thing I ever seen.. makes me laugh typing it now.. and frendal behind him laughing his ass off

Top Bottom