Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
May 5, 2022 by Adam Malik

Feds expand EV rebate program​

Electric-EV-dealership-Depositphotos_308487896_L-1024x684.jpg

More electric vehicles will qualify for purchase rebates from the federal government.

In a recent announcement, the government said it would expand the rebate to some of the new SUVs and pickups arriving in the EV market.

About four-in-five Canadians are interested in making their next vehicle purchase be an electric one, according to Transport Minister Omar Alghabra. However, prices are still a little higher than internal combustion engine vehicles and the rebates would help buyers make the commitment.

“We know that the future of our transportation sector has to be green,” he said. “And the future is zero-emission vehicles.”

The government is set to mandate that one-in-five of vehicles sold must be electric by 2026.

Later this year, the Liberals intend to mandate that by 2026 one-fifth of vehicles sold must be electric. By 2030, it must be at least half. By 2035, the government has already mandated all new vehicles sold can no longer be gas-powered.

Since 2019, the zero-emissions vehicle program has paid out more than $611 million in rebates to more than 141,000 car buyers.

When it first started, the maximum purchase price of a vehicle to qualify for the program was $45,000 (up to $55,000 with options). Vehicles with at least seven seats could qualify with a maximum price of $55,000.

Now, the maximum price for cars will rise to $55,000 ($65,000 with options). For trucks, SUVs and vans, the maximum will be $60,000 ($70,000 with options).

Battery electric, plug-in hybrid and fuel cell vehicles that can travel at least 50 kilometres on a single charge will qualify for $5,000. A shorter-range vehicle will get $2,500. Previously, only fully electric vehicles could get the maximum amount, while plug-in hybrids got the smaller rebate.

The changes added 14 new vehicles to the list and bumped four plug-in hybrids from the $2,500 rebate to $5,000.

Mountainman52

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
May 5, 2022 by Adam Malik

Feds expand EV rebate program​

Electric-EV-dealership-Depositphotos_308487896_L-1024x684.jpg

More electric vehicles will qualify for purchase rebates from the federal government.

In a recent announcement, the government said it would expand the rebate to some of the new SUVs and pickups arriving in the EV market.

About four-in-five Canadians are interested in making their next vehicle purchase be an electric one, according to Transport Minister Omar Alghabra. However, prices are still a little higher than internal combustion engine vehicles and the rebates would help buyers make the commitment.

“We know that the future of our transportation sector has to be green,” he said. “And the future is zero-emission vehicles.”

The government is set to mandate that one-in-five of vehicles sold must be electric by 2026.

Later this year, the Liberals intend to mandate that by 2026 one-fifth of vehicles sold must be electric. By 2030, it must be at least half. By 2035, the government has already mandated all new vehicles sold can no longer be gas-powered.

Since 2019, the zero-emissions vehicle program has paid out more than $611 million in rebates to more than 141,000 car buyers.

When it first started, the maximum purchase price of a vehicle to qualify for the program was $45,000 (up to $55,000 with options). Vehicles with at least seven seats could qualify with a maximum price of $55,000.

Now, the maximum price for cars will rise to $55,000 ($65,000 with options). For trucks, SUVs and vans, the maximum will be $60,000 ($70,000 with options).

Battery electric, plug-in hybrid and fuel cell vehicles that can travel at least 50 kilometres on a single charge will qualify for $5,000. A shorter-range vehicle will get $2,500. Previously, only fully electric vehicles could get the maximum amount, while plug-in hybrids got the smaller rebate.

The changes added 14 new vehicles to the list and bumped four plug-in hybrids from the $2,500 rebate to $5,000.
Oh No I wonder who is going to pay for these rebate programs................can you say "YOU" the Canadian tax payer

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
“About four-in-five Canadians are interested in making their next vehicle purchase be an electric one, according to Transport Minister Omar Alghabra.”

I call horsechit on this statement.
I agree with you but with government rebates the sheep will line up to get “free” government money. They won't have a clue that they are actually paying for the “free” money nor will they have a clue that they will get some kind of T4 slip and pay taxes on the rebate.

Grinder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The sheep arent paying for it. The gas and diesel price increases are.

turbo392

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with you but with government rebates the sheep will line up to get “free” government money. They won't have a clue that they are actually paying for the “free” money nor will they have a clue that they will get some kind of T4 slip and pay taxes on the rebate.
So you prefer to pay for the “free” government money and not get anything back? Alrighty then.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
So you prefer to pay for the “free” government money and not get anything back? Alrighty then.
Not my preference but lots of time I don’t get a choice to opt out of government programs that don’t benefit me. Like, the day care program that a decent percentage of my taxes will go toward. Why do senior citizens have to pay for working people’s day care? Both the wife and I worked and we payed for our own baby sitters out of our pockets without the government getting involved. Most of us realize that if the government is involved, the cost will be absolutely higher.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Taxes are brutal in Canada. No doot aboot it.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Selfishness . That is the problem. Always. If something benefits an individual they don’t give a ch!t about the cost to other individuals. As long as I got mine

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Selfishness . That is the problem. Always. If something benefits an individual they don’t give a ch!t about the cost to other individuals. As long as I got mine
Kinda like the vaccine. Take the vaccine to save your jobs and who cares about those who don’t or can’t. But when the vaccinated are sick and dependent on society they will expect us to take care of them I’m sure

Top Bottom