Federal caribou closures - Paradise Valley Snowmobile Association

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If this gets closed down there’s going to be a lot of unhappy campers.

These are all my riding areas!

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
so hows the liberal federal and ndp provincial govt's working out for you now, BC? y2y payoffs and bargaining at it's finest... their goal is to completely shut down motorized vehicles in the foothills and mountains

gunner3006

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The crazy and most assanine part of this ordeal is that clubs aren’t being notified properly. The proper channels are not being followed. Meetings are happening with officials and there’s no one representing the public. There afraid, they know if the public had proper notice it would be kaos. I’m not local to alberta. But I k ow there are lots on here that are bc and Alberta local. You and your parents or children have spent time fishing, quadding, sledding in the backcountry. To have access rights pulled out from under your feet. I would be heated. Someone is getting an earful.

Stg2Suby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The crazy and most assanine part of this ordeal is that clubs aren’t being notified properly. The proper channels are not being followed. Meetings are happening with officials and there’s no one representing the public. There afraid, they know if the public had proper notice it would be kaos. I’m not local to alberta. But I k ow there are lots on here that are bc and Alberta local. You and your parents or children have spent time fishing, quadding, sledding in the backcountry. To have access rights pulled out from under your feet. I would be heated. Someone is getting an earful.

This is exactly what is happening, backroom deals and closures without public consultation. Freedoms are being taken away and perhaps at some point there will be an uprising. Though unlikely in laid back Canada.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I don't have facebook and don't go on there at all anymore. Can you post here please, thankyou.

I find it rather interesting that this is right in the heart of the President of the BCSF's territory. It would be interesting to hear more information on our side. How badly were we blind sided? How many back room deals were made/proposed and what is the governments position. We know what Y2Y wants but where is the government really sitting on this issue?

KatMan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

this is the NDP MO. i hate to say it but this will go through unless the right people at the NDP government level do not buy in. they did the same thing with Alberta Castle, porcupine hills, Livingston and possibly Bighorn.

wish the best for you guys, get vocal now. the bighorn plan was/is delayed due to the work of OHV groups gather petitions and presenting it at the legislature. this is what has to happen here. be involved and present now. do not believe that your online comments/input via "user group consultation" that the government will probably ask for will ever be taken seriously. it will all be a PR stunt saying they consulted the public.

Last edited:

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
this is the NDP MO. i hate to say it but this will go through unless the right people at the NDP government level do not buy in. they did the same thing with Alberta Castle, porcupine hills, Livingston and possibly Bighorn.

wish the best for you guys, get vocal now. the bighorn plan was/is delayed due to the work of OHV groups gather petitions and presenting it at the legislature. this is what has to happen here. be involved and present now. do not believe that your online comments/input via "user group consultation" that the government will probably ask for will ever be taken seriously. it will all be a PR stunt saying they consulted the public.

YUP, Shannon Phillips has been caught in lies about talking to the mayor of Rocky Mountain House already.... says she consulted with Rocky officials and the Mayor, when in fact Jason Dixon said he was talking with the mayor and Phillips never talked to the mayor at all... this is in official footage of the legislative assembly!

NORDIC

Reaction score
Just got this email this afternoon from the Alberta Parks website. Public consultation for the Bighorn area, do the survey. Phone and/or write your MLA, Shannon Phillips, Rachael Notley tell them what you think. No more parks needed in the bighorn.

Survey closes January 31, 2019
AXBRT DJqUjcAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Rene G

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just got this email this afternoon from the Alberta Parks website. Public consultation for the Bighorn area, do the survey. Phone and/or write your MLA, Shannon Phillips, Rachael Notley tell them what you think. No more parks needed in the bighorn.

Survey closes January 31,2019

Can you post a link to the survey? The link you posted didn’t work (for me)

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I see that they have said that grazing leases won't be affected in the Bighorn, NDP are trying to kiss Ag's ass now! Good luck with that one us farmers aren't buying it!

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There was 100% opposition from the farmers on Bill 6 and the NDP still rammed it through.

They have no respect for democracy.

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Y2Y at it again, There is more to this whole thing than just that. Any one think that all these closures and new parks are a plan in blocking the future of any oil pipelines out of Alberta, just my 2 cents. We need to get involved.

What I see here is a chance for sledders to fix the whole damn country’s economy!

let’s be real - a new conservative gov’t is the only way.

skegpro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry this is long but please read to the end...

As many of you have heard the Province of British Columbia is planning to host a series of consultations in the Northeast on Winter Motorized Recreation and Caribou Critical Habitat. The BCSF and our clubs were made aware of this on Monday, November 19th, and we were given tentative dates. Since then we have been working to obtain copies of maps and getting details on the process. We were told invitations with more details would be out by end of day today, November 23. Our contact has been working diligently to make this happen but has been stalled by the Government Communications department. We are now told that we will have the firm dates, locations and details by end of day on Monday. I did not want to leave this hanging for the weekend so wanted to provide you what I could and will post an update when it is received.
_____
Messaging that was received from Government

On behalf of all British Columbians, government has a clear responsibility to protect and manage wildlife - including rapidly declining numbers of caribou. As part of that process, government is taking action to help caribou numbers recover, and also engaging with stakeholders to find a balance between caribou conservation measures and recreational users.

The purpose of the open houses is to begin a dialogue with recreation users in the South Peace to ensure that the Province of BC understands the impacts before making any decisions about snowmobile management.

The open houses will focus on identifying key areas and trails that are important to local snowmobilers and to provide an opportunity to discuss what makes those place important to them. There will also be an opportunity to discuss areas where snowmobiling infrastructure could be enhanced or where snowmobiling could be re-directed to in order to maintain recreational opportunities but with reduced impacts on caribou.

BC plans to host a follow-up open house to share the findings of the engagement process and next steps.

This engagement process will allow the Province of BC to consider local community values, caribou science and traditional knowledge prior to making any recommendations for managing snowmobiling in critical caribou habitat.
______

The BCSF will participate in all processes put forward by Government. Our goal is, and always has been, the recovery of caribou to historical numbers. Our position has not changed and we will continue to push that all decision making must be based on science and that snowmobilers can be part of the solution.

Therefore, we are asking all riders to participate in all consultation processes that we are offered. We are asking that all riders please come to the meetings when we have dates. As an active snowmobiler, and having worked with snowmobilers for over six years, I can safely say we are a passionate bunch! For this process we will need to curb some of that passion and focus it to get positive results. We need to be clear on the objective of caribou recovery and ensure that our riding areas and economic impact are accurately captured.

To help the process we have obtained some of the questions ahead of the process for people to think about. These questions may change in wording but not in intent. There will be maps on the table to accompany these questions and we have attached a small version of these maps for you to review. Next week we are told that will have a link to digital maps that people can mark-up directly on and submit comments. I will also be forwarding large print versions of these maps to each of the clubs in the region early next week.

Activity # 1:

1. Where are your favourite winter motorized recreation areas? Draw the areas and write their name directly on the map.
2. How do you access your favourite winter motorized recreation areas? Draw your access routes and staging areas directly on the map.
3. What makes the areas you identified great places to ride? (i.e. snow conditions, ease of access, views, riding level / challenge, cabins, etc.).
4. Which areas are the most popular / most important in the region? Why?
Activity # 2:
1. Are there any areas outside of caribou habitat that you think would be ideal for enhancing winter motorized recreation trail networks, areas and infrastructure?

2. Do you or your club have a “wishlist” for any winter motorized recreation infrastructure projects that would enhance existing trail networks and areas? Where could this infrastructure be developed?

Donegal Wilson
BCSF Executive Director

Top Bottom