Father appreciation

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We live in a society that pays almost no respect to a father's sacrifice. Father's punish their bodies physically, mentally, and emotionally in order to provide their families with the best possible life. Getting up at 5 am 6 or 7 days per week, being exhausted all the time, missing birthdays, camping trips, and get-togethers. Watching kids grow up through a phone screen, constantly being criticized to do more, etc. Doing all of it with very rarely getting any recognition. But we don't do it for that. We do it for the smile we see when our kids see us. We do it for hearing "daddy!" As our truck rolls in the driveway. We do it because adore our children.

My father is the strongest, greatest man I've ever known. I watched him cheat death 3 times. I watched him work constantly while in agony and only getting criticism. Now as a father myself, I can see all he did for his kids.
Father's are very undervalued people. I just want to wish everyone a happy fathers day weekend and I hope you can spend it with your family instead of working. It might seem like nobody sees all of your sacrifice, but I still believe it's worth it. Keep going, men.

Below are some pics of me and my daughter, as well as a picture of my dad, my daughter and nieces. This man taught me everything I know. From my love for yamaha to my work ethic.

Share some pictures and stories of your dad, or kids! I hope everyone is healthy and happy.
received_1426919770827002.jpg
Screenshot_20210221-161154_Gallery.jpg
20200812_152009.jpg
20200711_211952.jpg

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We live in a society that pays almost no respect to a father's sacrifice. Father's punish their bodies physically, mentally, and emotionally in order to provide their families with the best possible life. Getting up at 5 am 6 or 7 days per week, being exhausted all the time, missing birthdays, camping trips, and get-togethers. Watching kids grow up through a phone screen, constantly being criticized to do more, etc. Doing all of it with very rarely getting any recognition. But we don't do it for that. We do it for the smile we see when our kids see us. We do it for hearing "daddy!" As our truck rolls in the driveway. We do it because adore our children.

My father is the strongest, greatest man I've ever known. I watched him cheat death 3 times. I watched him work constantly while in agony and only getting criticism. Now as a father myself, I can see all he did for his kids.
Father's are very undervalued people. I just want to wish everyone a happy fathers day weekend and I hope you can spend it with your family instead of working. It might seem like nobody sees all of your sacrifice, but I still believe it's worth it. Keep going, men.

Below are some pics of me and my daughter, as well as a picture of my dad, my daughter and nieces. This man taught me everything I know. From my love for yamaha to my work ethic.

Share some pictures and stories of your dad, or kids! I hope everyone is healthy and happy. View attachment 238066View attachment 238067View attachment 238068View attachment 238069
Brought a tear to my eye.
So true.
My dad was a shift worker. And we grew up on an acreage. So when he wasn't working at the plant. He was working for home. Took all that for granted growing up.

I'm not a shift worker but I work long hours and flip to nights as needed.
My daughter is at that age where she questions where I go and why I go.

Happy Father's day weekend to all you hard working dads making ends meet.

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Brought a tear to my eye.
So true.
My dad was a shift worker. And we grew up on an acreage. So when he wasn't working at the plant. He was working for home. Took all that for granted growing up.

I'm not a shift worker but I work long hours and flip to nights as needed.
My daughter is at that age where she questions where I go and why I go.

Happy Father's day weekend to all you hard working dads making ends meet.
Thats tough! One day they'll understand though. It might take a couple decades. My daughter asks where I am too. I Value every moment. It's pretty sad these days how badly men struggle, especially since the plandemic started. I think everyone could use encouragement.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score

Share some pictures and stories of your dad, or kids! I hope everyone is healthy and happy.

Yes it's unfortunate so many spend so much time away..... I used too

In all reality getting out of Fort Mac and 18/3 11/3 shifts was the best thing I ever did. I took a massive pay cut to be home every night and have the flexibility to be around for concerts/parent teacher/meetings with the principal etc.... It was really tough adjusting to 1/3 of a pay cheque but you figure it out and I'm very glad I did.

Time with family is much more important than money - I know everyone needs money to live but so long as there is a roof overhead and food on the table your time is worth much more to your family than a big pay cheque, and time can not be bought back. Just a thought, I know we all have to make a living but we also only get one chance at raising our kids and molding them into the cocky, loudmouth, yamaha cheering azzhats of the next generation........lol kidding

I'm now considering maybe looking into fly in/out type positions but only if I get as much time as home as I do working 14/14 or 24/24 but my kids are all grown and out of the house now so I can deal with 2-4 weeks away from home if I get 2-4 weeks at home in between.

Happy Dad's day all, keep them close and make sure they know they are your priority.......

joey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes it's unfortunate so many spend so much time away..... I used too

In all reality getting out of Fort Mac and 18/3 11/3 shifts was the best thing I ever did. I took a massive pay cut to be home every night and have the flexibility to be around for concerts/parent teacher/meetings with the principal etc.... It was really tough adjusting to 1/3 of a pay cheque but you figure it out and I'm very glad I did.

Time with family is much more important than money - I know everyone needs money to live but so long as there is a roof overhead and food on the table your time is worth much more to your family than a big pay cheque, and time can not be bought back. Just a thought, I know we all have to make a living but we also only get one chance at raising our kids and molding them into the cocky, loudmouth, yamaha cheering azzhats of the next generation........lol kidding

I'm now considering maybe looking into fly in/out type positions but only if I get as much time as home as I do working 14/14 or 24/24 but my kids are all grown and out of the house now so I can deal with 2-4 weeks away from home if I get 2-4 weeks at home in between.

Happy Dad's day all, keep them close and make sure they know they are your priority.......
I respect the heck out of that. I made a similar decision by switching from long haul trucking to sticking around town. I make less, but I still make a wage I am happy with. Plus I'm home every night and off every Sunday. I still work a lot and when I'm home, I'm always tired. Work gets my best and my family gets what is left. But you gotta be grateful for everything you have, because you can lose it very quickly and easily. Being a father is the greatest thing I've ever had the joy of doing.

kenvb

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my father passed in 97 younger than i am now..he learned to be blacksmith,weldor and mechanic in WW2 in Holland as a teenager in the dutch underground army,, came to Canada in 1950 with $200 in his pocket, worked in Toronto till got a job on a CN train heading west to Vancouver,,he got off at Edson with my grand parents and aunt, got job right away as mechanic,,weldor at Marloo Ford, built our home from scrap wood from local mill..Opa did too.. then moved the house to Whitecourt in 59 where is stands today looking like new.we hand dug the basement under the house while living in it.our after school time was digging and emptying the dirt with a home made Buggy as we called it. neighbors kids would come help just to get ride on the trailer full of dirt,,same buggy pulled trailer to river to get gravel,,Dad traded work with BJ and Halliburton for barrels of cement. all the yard sidewalks..steps and garage floor were all poured by hand, there wasnt much play time for us till it was all done,think i was 14 when it was all done ,dad bought my first motorbike,a 65 Honda SS 125 in 69 for $100..i was all aprt in boxes.i would go to the GM dealer Dad worked at from 60 to 72 and clean up the shop for about $1,50 hr. learned to weld and fix things from Dad. Cancer got him at 66. never had a chance to retire much..he did build a windmill on lawn and moved the washer and dryer upstairs and built on house for mom who couldnt do stairs good in last months he lived,,
miss you dad..

Attachments

• Dad and flags.jpg
    Dad and flags.jpg
    171.2 KB · Views: 79

NoBrakes!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Appreciate the time... pick up the phone or answer when it rings.

My dads oldest sister passed on Monday, broke my heart to realize that even if there's 25 years left.... it's going to go fast.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am the oldest of four boys. 13 years between us. Our dad died when I was 24 and he was 48. I have now been alive longer without him than I spent with him. The Family still talk and laugh and love him when we are together but it is really sad to spend so much time without him please cherish your dad and your moms !!

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Always looked up to my dad. Spent the last week with him back in NB. Went and looked at some John Deere tractors with him on the weekend and for the first time ever, he told me to buy bigger than I'd think I would need because you don't want a small tractor. He told me how, as a kid, i always loved going to my grandparents to ride the tractorsThis is a guy that raised 5 kids on a single income and never spends an extra nickle.

Fast forward to today. Walk in to the local Brandt tractor with my 1 year old and he instantly runs over to the small lawn tractor with the snow blower on front and tries to climb on top. You couldn't wipe the smile off my face

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221215_213104_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221215_213104_Gallery.jpg
    698.8 KB · Views: 63
Top Bottom